Why does the audience cheer in the middle of a song and ruin it?

Author: Christen

Total: 10
Christen
Debates: 5
Christen
If you ever watch any of those shows like Voice Kids, American Idol, and America's Got Talent, you will know what I am talking about. Basically you will have the little girl or whatever, singing on the stage, and it's great and beautiful and all, but then the audience gets noisy for no reason, thus ruining the song.
It's like going to a restaurant to order some amazingly cooked food, but having it spat on by a couple dozen people, thus ruining the cook's hard work. When I listen to someone sing, I want to hear them and them only, not the audience. The audience should be cheering before or after the singing, but not right in the middle of it. How do you all feel about this?

Here's a few examples of covers ruined by the audience making noise. I can't even download the song and listen to it offline because I will hear the part where the audience cheers and it is just so annoying! Sometimes, this results in the singer having to sing louder and harder so that she can still even be heard over the noisy audience.

https://youtu.be/Wmnut7mYNKM?t=8 This one isn't too bad, but the audience cheers loudly for a bit, then goes silent.

https://youtu.be/f6XmSBW2O3s?t=53 Here when the little reaches the "I am titaniummm" part, the audience claps like crazy, even though she isn't done yet.

https://youtu.be/b1NVOsatpF0?t=183 Here it gets even worse. Just a few seconds after the girl starts, the audience act like fanatical banshees on steroids.

https://youtu.be/mskOhEyVARQ?t=42 In this one, the idiot in the green shirt slams a red button for no reason, thus making unnecessary noise, and as if that wasn't enough, it is followed by the audience going wild, making even more unnecessary noise.

https://youtu.be/PgXTzOkCUI8?t=128 Somehow this habit of making unnecessary noise in the middle of performance has found it's way into one of my favorite cartoons...

https://youtu.be/Lm3rheXZiYw?t=48 Again, the audience is clapping and making noise, thus screwing up the otherwise amazing song.

https://youtu.be/Zg3RS-m0_3k?t=66 Doesn't matter whether it's actually a girl or just a talking stuffed animal, the audience still makes noise in the middle of the song.

If they're going to have a girl sing on stage with audience making noise, the least they could do is have an alternate version of that song where there is no background noise from the audience, so that I can just hear the girl and nothing else that I do not want to hear. Do you get frustrated about this stuff too, or am I just making a big deal out of it?
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@Christen

I also find that really annoying. I don't have the slightest clue as to why people feel they should do that.
Stronn
Debates: 0
Stronn
-->
@Christen
They do it because it's a contest. Cheering a good part of a performance is like cheering a 3-pointer.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Christen
I think its only in music videos, but dont quote me
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@Christen
In Greek Music, the crowd noise in the beginning is VERY COMMON in the 80s and 90s
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Vader
"In Greek Music, the crowd noise in the beginning is VERY COMMON in the 80s and 90s".

Fantastic!

14 days later

WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
-->
@Christen
Well in classical concerts a lot of the audience aggravatingly claps in between the movements of a symphony even though you're supposed to clap after the symphony is finished. This really isn't there fault it's mostly because they don't know the piece and don't know whether it's finished or not or is just, ya' know plain annoying.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Christen
First of all.. i'm going to assume you've never preformed for people. Real quick though, most of your videos are from those contest shows so idk if they cue the audience to cheer... you never know with tv shows of that nature. In real shows, people cheer on their favorite parts. It could be a line in the lyrics everyone likes, it could be a high / low note everyone likes, it could be a solo or just riff everyone likes... i imagine if the contest shows aren't staged, that's why they are cheering... the person is either good so they're impressed, or a high note or vocal tone people are impressed with... 

But... most importantly, as a musician, getting that crowd feedback is everything. It pumps you up like no other bc you know the crowd is into it. That makes you play more passionately and energizes you. You have to realize... musicians are playing the same song over and over and over and over again... if the crowd never got into it and stayed silent.... that would be a miserable gig. So... if you're seeing a band... don't just stand there like a dead zombie... get into it and get others into it... and the music will be all the better. 

I'm surprised everyone commenting so far is agreeing with the zombie side (minus stronn i think). If you are going to stand there like a zombie and not cheer... that's just weird, maybe go see someone you're more into... idk. Trust me, the musicians know how to get you to a zombie point too... Just as a musician gets energy from hearing the cheers, they know when they drop something hard on you that sounds deep... it should shut the crowd up. It's an amazing feeling all around as a musician feeling the crowd be under your musical control. It reminds the musician of the first time they made the song, and takes the feeling of playing that song a hundred times away.  
Christen
Debates: 5
Christen
-->
@Outplayz
But... most importantly, as a musician, getting that crowd feedback is everything. It pumps you up like no other bc you know the crowd is into it. That makes you play more passionately and energizes you. You have to realize... musicians are playing the same song over and over and over and over again... if the crowd never got into it and stayed silent.... that would be a miserable gig. So... if you're seeing a band... don't just stand there like a dead zombie... get into it and get others into it... and the music will be all the better. 
I agree that getting the feedback is great. I'm not saying the audience should never cheer. I'm not saying the people should act like zombies. I'm just saying they should wait until the music is finished before giving the feedback and cheering. Imagine if you were giving a speech or a TED Talk and the audience started cheering and making noise, even though you weren't done yet. That would be rude. How do you expect people like me to focus on the song when it is being interrupted by something that isn't part of the song?

I'm surprised everyone commenting so far is agreeing with the zombie side (minus stronn i think). If you are going to stand there like a zombie and not cheer... that's just weird, maybe go see someone you're more into... idk. Trust me, the musicians know how to get you to a zombie point too... Just as a musician gets energy from hearing the cheers, they know when they drop something hard on you that sounds deep... it should shut the crowd up. It's an amazing feeling all around as a musician feeling the crowd be under your musical control.
I'm not entirely sure if musicians getting energy from cheers is worth all the disruptive noise. If anything it would probably make the musician lose his/her concentration, because they could be trying to focus on singing or playing the instrument to the best of their ability since it could be something very difficult for them.

I don't want anyone else reading my post and then getting the wrong idea that I want the audience to never cheer or get excited. I apologize if it seems like that's what I wanted.
Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Christen
I'm just saying they should wait until the music is finished before giving the feedback and cheering.
You're one of the very few minority that gets annoyed when people cheer. Most people like it bc it pumps them up, and the band likes it. It energizes them. I am a musician and have preformed in front of people... trust me, it's not distracting. I've never heard of a musician that messed up bc the audience cheered. When the audience only cheers in the end... it feels fake. When they are with you and cheer on their favorite parts, you know you're doing good. Audience feedback is every and every musician expects it... hopefully. There are songs i created specifically with the intent that "hopefully" people would start jumping up and down and make noise on the riff. When it happened, i knew we nailed it... when it didn't, i felt we were sucking or the crowd wasn't into it. Like i said, you're in the minority of people that find this to be annoying or distracting. But hey, you do you. Just don't go to a concert expecting people to be like you bc they will likely not do what you like... you always have the cd or audio to listen to if you don't want to hear cheers. 

a speech or a TED Talk
I forget which fallacy this is... red herring? Anyways, we're talking about music which is totally different. Now, on some things i agree with you. But even then, i just understand some people are different than me. The cheer bc they get hyper excited... i really can't say i dislike that bc those people are happy... but i agree when people do it in "certain" movies it's annoying. But, i found a way around that... i don't watch movies when they just come out bc the more extroverted people do... they're usually the cheery type. So, i wait 3 or 4 weeks to see the movie with introverts and i usually don't get the whole cheer during a movie thing. But see... that's a whole different topic. When it comes to music, cheering is expected in my opinion. It pumps me up as an audience member and i know it pumps the band up too. Now... i've never been to a classical music thing... maybe they're different, i don't know they're etiquette. But, most live "bands" or "singers" ... you're on the opposite side of what's expected. Doesn't make you wrong, you are just one of the few that annoys in those situations/places.