Happy Pride Month! Gay Avatar Season!

Author: bsh1

Total: 80
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
Aloha!

Given that both Virt and I are gay, it would be an atrocious oversight if moderation were to fail to remark on this most fabulous of seasons: Pride Month! 

For Americans like us, Pride month is a celebratory time to watch go-go dancers parade their abs down Main Street thoroughfares throughout this great country, while Britney and Cher bang out from massive speakers. Color-filled Pride parades are a way for queer people of all stripes to revel in our community's strength, talent, and solidarity and...of course, to party.

For many other Americans and non-Americans, life as an LGBTQ+ person is not as sunny. We should all take time to reflect in horror the places like Brunei, Sudan, Uganda, and Saudi Arabia where gay people are not just denied access to marriage, but face stiff punishments simply for loving someone of the same gender. Many may be stoned to death. Others may be socially ostracized or imprisoned. Pride Month is also a time for the world to investigate their plight, to think on their suffering, and to, where possible, take action for improved equality and justice. 

Whatever Pride month means to you, be you an LGBTQ+ person or a straight ally, join us in celebrating this wonderful time of year by updating your avatar to reflect the Pride theme. Be it a sexy snap like mine, or a rainbow-infused image, or a respectful gif, please show your support for the millions of LGBTQ+ people around the world!

-Bsh1

RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
So, remind me again, why is it the liberal left who defend Islam?
David
Debates: 91
David
I approve this message. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Being gay is nothing to be proud of, the key is that it isn't something to be ashamed of.

In my ideal society there'd be no parades or this bullshit, not even "hi I'm gay. How are you, today?" just straight up no one caring what the fuck you're attracted to so long as it's consensual and pleasant for all parties involved.

I don't really get the point of these events, it's like I should be ashamed for finding men less alluring than women or be less proud and amazed with myself for being a cis male.

I am a man and I'm attracted to women, I am proud of that in a quiet way. If you're a man who is attracted to men or even attracted to things that are taboo, it comes down to consent and pleasure. If everyone is feeling pleasure and consent is absolute with the long-term psychological effects being beneficial for all, then what you're involved in, be it polygamous or not, is healthy and something to feel no shame in.

Stop waving a rainbow flag, stop asking me to feel bad for being an overall straight individual (I admit I can tell a sexy guy from an ugly one, I don't really think anyone is truly straight but if it's about love and long term lust yeah I'm straight).
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
But, if you want a great coming out song, this is my favourite:
Death23
Debates: 24
Death23
-->
@RationalMadman
RM such a power bottom
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
I am bisexual and the LGBT community needs to be less promiscuous if they wish to eliminate the STDs from their community.  Given that 73 percent of HIV diagnosis are from LGBT people, we need to be monogamous at max and anyone with a treatable STD should pay a $500 annual fine until they get their STDs treated.

Alec
Alec
I can change my profile temporarily.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Death23
Welcome to the blocklist.
Death23
Death23
Who else made the list
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec

I am bisexual and the LGBT community needs to be less promiscuous if they wish to eliminate the STDs from their community.  Given that 73 percent of HIV diagnosis are from LGBT people,
Evidence? 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@David
@bsh1
I am not proud of being heterosexual. I don't see how you are proud of being homosexuals. Care to explain?
Proud to me means you enjoying a goal of some sort. Being born liking men or women is not really an achievement more so reality. Well this goes on to free will but I'll stick to what I said. 

It should be like black history month where they show achievements of lesbians, homosexuals and I guess bisexuals. If that is the case guess I am missing it. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
@omar
Couldn't agree more. Even the last part, which was different to what I said, I love the closing line a lot.
Alec
Alec
-->
@TheRealNihilist
https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/group/msm/index.html states that it is 67 percent.  I was a little off.  Still a majority.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Alec
Your original claim was this:
I am bisexual and the LGBT community needs to be less promiscuous if they wish to eliminate the STDs from their community.
Supported by this:
Given that 73 percent of HIV diagnosis are from LGBT people,
You didn't give evidence for people who associate with the LGBT community you have targeted homosexuals, lesbians etc:
https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/group/msm/index.html states that it is 67 percent.  I was a little off.  Still a majority.
If you don't think this distinction matters then what if I am a person who proudly represents the LGBT community or how about homosexuals, lesbians etc who don't associate with the movement?
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
-->
@bsh1
Chicago has one of the biggest pride parades in America
Vader
Vader
Jay Blizerian is technically bisexual so...
Vader
Vader
RM's point is actually very true too
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I mean, it's not like the people who write the history textbooks for public schools are like "Oh, the guy who invented this or who did that was gay? Let's just not talk about him them."
Vader
Vader
-->
@Alec
Maybe your bi-curious. If you haven't done anything with a guy but are interested, its bi-curious
Vader
Vader
-->
@Death23
raises hand
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Swagnarok
Do you know how Alan Turing's life became and ended the moment he admitted what his sexuality was?

How about Van Gogh? I bet you didn't even know he was an avid homosexual. How about Mozart?

The point is they were all celebrated as non-gays and it slipped out later based on word of mouth or caught love letters coming out later on.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Well Mozart literally made it obvious as was possible for his era, to be fair to him. It wasn't his fault people still denied it back then.
Swagnarok
Swagnarok
-->
@RationalMadman
Turing was gay. Mozart? What proof do you have of that? I grew up learning to perform pieces written by guys like him, and this is the first I've heard. Something like that would not have gone unnoticed, if it was actually proven.
Swagnarok
Swagnarok
-->
@RationalMadman
I suspect a lot of textbooks don't mention Tim Berners-Lee, the man who invented the WWW protocol and thus the internet as it exists today. As far as I know he isn't gay. Nor, I imagine, do they mention Hegel, one of the most influential philosophers in history. You can't take omission as evidence of malice. The history books tend to be fairly minimalist, because there's SO much they could add but to do so would take up way too much time and space. So they have to focus on what's important.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Swagnarok
I mean, it's not like the people who write the history textbooks for public schools are like "Oh, the guy who invented this or who did that was gay? Let's just not talk about him them."
Do you have a better way of celebrating Pride month or do you not want to have a month dedicated to it? 

Swagnarok
Swagnarok
-->
@TheRealNihilist
No. There should not be a pride month. Something like 40%-50% of the world's population follows an Abrahamic religion, all of which condemn same-sex relationships as a major vice which might result in the eternal damnation of the soul. For devout families to have to send their kids to schools where such is openly promoted and celebrated BY the schools themselves amounts to rape of conscience (and don't forget, their tax dollars are paying for that). It flies smack in the face of the 1st Amendment and shows an utter lack of regard for the faith traditions which long, long preceded the modern LGBT rights movement. That it is legal and tolerated should be sufficient for our generation, and the next. Even if gays think that religious groups were in the wrong for opposing them, that shouldn't matter now. What said religious groups did was 100% understandable, at least. What the movement is doing now amounts to victor's justice, is utterly reprehensible, and does not in any way, shape, or form contribute to a harmonious society where people of different backgrounds are able to coexist peacefully.

LGBT is not something like skin color or ethnicity. It is an artificially constructed identity that some modern people have chosen for themselves based on a pre-existing characteristic which regardless did not warrant the construction of an identity around. Like if there were to spring up a left-handed nationalist organization in the US tomorrow. The creation of new identities separate from the majority simply for the sake of having a new separate identity is divisive. It erodes the common trust and understanding which is the foundation of any functioning society. We saw this in the Balkan Peninsula during the 1990s, in which people who'd lived together peacefully for decades as neighbors were suddenly like "I am a Serb and you are a Croat. I am to have nothing to do with you." That's basically what we're doing now.
The unifying factor in all of this is the Social Justice movement itself because it has formed a coalition against the traditional (white and male) majority. Such a coalition is a poor substitute for actual unity, and in any case it still has the effect of dividing the country in half, along increasingly bitter, arbitrary lines.
Simply treating people like people is the only way pluralism can work. There must be something that transcends identity politics. Instead, we're just sinking our heels in and digging ourselves deeper into a hole.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
cool
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
It flies smack in the face of the 1st Amendment and shows an utter lack of regard for the faith traditions which long, long preceded the modern LGBT rights movement.
Is LGBT rights infringing on Religious freedom a bad thing? I would like an explanation.
LGBT is not something like skin color or ethnicity. It is an artificially constructed identity that some modern people have chosen for themselves based on a pre-existing characteristic which regardless did not warrant the construction of an identity around.
So is being lesbian, gay, bisexual or trans a choice? 
What isn't an artificially constructed identity?
It erodes the common trust and understanding which is the foundation of any functioning society.
So Religious freedom should ought to be valued more than human rights?
Simply treating people like people is the only way pluralism can work. There must be something that transcends identity politics. Instead, we're just sinking our heels in and digging ourselves deeper into a hole.
You can't expect both sides to simply change their mind on what they want. The right wants to stop abortion. The left does not. You can't just simply make a concession there and for that reason there will always be a divide until one side becomes a majority and is supported by the political system in place like the electoral college. 
Death23
Death23
-->
@Swagnarok
openly promoted and celebrated BY the schools themselves amounts to rape of conscience
This is a false.

LGBT is not something like skin color or ethnicity. It is an artificially constructed identity that some modern people have chosen for themselves based on a pre-existing characteristic which regardless did not warrant the construction of an identity around.
All identities are artificially constructed. There exists a substantial history of stigmatization and persecution of LGBT people. This is sufficient cause to warrant the identity IMO. It's a functionally self-protective necessity in response to persecution and stigma. The divisiveness is undesirable but incidental; Beyond that the people were already identified and divided by the "aggressors" in the situation. Who divided people along these lines first? Look at your religions you mention.