"Unmoderated" Debates and Moderation's Response

Author: bsh1

Total: 9
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
Aloha, DART!

As many of you will now be aware (and many won't), there is now the option to have "unmoderated" debates. While there is still some question on moderation's end about the technical aspects of this change, it is clear that unmoderated debates do not impact your ELO scores, whether you win those debates or lose them. We are currently working with Mike to understand fully the implications of this feature.

It is unclear to moderation whether, as it stands, we are technically empowered to remove votes on unmoderated debates. If we're not, then we're not. If we are, it will be our policy--until this question can be MEEP'd--to only remove votes on unmoderated debates if those votes (a) violate the site's conduct policy (e.g. by making a personal attack) or (b) are for a debater who fully forfeited the debate. No RFD will be actually required to pass moderation review, either.

Therefore, for those debaters and voters who desire minimal moderation, the unmoderated option is ideal. It provides the least amount of vote moderation available on the site. For those who want all of their debates to be moderated, it is imperative that they read carefully the fine print before accepting the debate. Ideally, these debates could be flagged somehow to prevent unsuspecting users from accepting them accidentally. In the meantime, be cautious and be aware so that you are neither hoodwinked nor, dare I say, bamboozled into accepting any unmoderated debate challenges.

If you have any queries about unmoderated debates, or moderation's stance regarding them, I will attempt to respond. Until I have more information, that might be difficult, but I'll do my best.

- Bsh1, Chief Moderator
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@David
@bsh1
@Ramshutu
How would the moderation feel about a "moderation lite" option on debates? I do not mean the mechanical aspects, but vote removal.

I would view this as along the lines of voter BoP still being required, while the trinity paradigm is optional... Basically actual shit votes can still be deleted, but a vote falling short of specifying one side being polite or not having sources are fine.
David
Debates: 91
David
Update

Mike has changed this wording to be clearer. The settings now read "Rated/Unrated." 
DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
Yeah, the wording is now hopefully better but the logic stayed the same, unrated debates DO NOT change the rating of the participants.
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@Barney
Eh. Having *too* many standards can create confusion and burdens moderators, who have to know, understand, and apply multiple frameworks. If there is significant demand for a three set of standards, I am open to considering their adoption. But, I am not inclined to institute a third framework without that kind of demand.
K_Michael
Debates: 38
K_Michael
-->
@bsh1
Do unrated debates affect your win percentage?

TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@K_Michael
No which is why it is a bad thing.

Being a part of debating but not actually counting to how well you are negates the leaderboards. It is like saying instead of challenging myself to get as high as I possibly can on the leaderboard I instead will creat unrated debates just so my feelings are not hurt with a loss. An unrated loss means nothing just like a unrated win if it doesn't account to how well you are on the leaderboard. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@K_Michael
Win percentage yes, rating no.
DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
As RM said, it changes the win percentage but not the rating.