My concession from Policy Debate

Author: Vader

Total: 7
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Policy Debate is a chore at my school, and it seriously feels like one. It is debate or die, and that is not how I want my high school education to be.
So I called it quits, and officially ended my policy debate career turning in my final for the class (yes it is a class)

-Staff that makes going to a 3 week camp for debate required in order to get better
-Doesn't teach you or make avalible to get help for sophmores
-Favores older kids
-GPA and grade gets punished for not going to tournaments and working in class, when no kids do such a thing, and truly based off bias

Bye Bye Policy Debate at my school, fuck ya self
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
That's kind of foolish of you. In all gangs and legit cultures in history you had to work your way up and yes of course elders had superior status if they'd been there from the bottom-up. Stick at it, become the older kid in a couple year's time and have a fantastic experience and thing to write on your record. Meet a younger kid much like your current self and mentor him/her, be a great leader.

Don't hate the system, learn to use it.
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@Vader
To do policy really well, doing the circuit is key. Camps are less important, because they're most useful for underclassman, who happen also to be the least catered-to group. We had a TOC octofinalist and NCLF quarterfinalist policy team at our school, and they went to tournaments every weekend. It is a trade-off, because you can make a choice between grades and competition, which is sad. I don't think you need to do *that* many tournaments to be successful, but twice a month is probably a minimum.

Of course, I am LD all the way, so...
Vader
Vader
-->
@bsh1
I wish our school did LD debate. We cut it off.

We send 3 teams to TOC, all knocked out first round

The teacher do not teach the circuit, they basically just expect you to go to camp to succeed. Its bull, but oh well
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@Vader
Why cut LD? At least on your local circuit, not the national one, it shouldn't be any more expensive than fielding policy.

51 days later

Vader
Vader
-->
@bsh1
I realized I never answered this :)

No reason was ever given. Assuming lack of funds? Doubt it cause we live in a wealthy town.

My safest assumption was that they had TOC winners and National contenders policy wise, and wanted to focus more on them so they cut LD. Sad but oh well
Vader
Vader
-->
@bsh1
I don't think any schools in our league did LD suprisingly