1st ecumenical council

Author: Mopac

Total: 6
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Today in the Orthodox Church we celebrate the memory of the first ecumenical council.

There is really a lot that went on here, but I think on thing worth noting is that "of the 318 fathers, only 11 were free from such marks of persecution, whose name were Absalom, Bishop of Edessa, and son of Mar Ephrem’s sister, Jonah of Raikson, Mara of Dora, George of Shegar, Jacob of Nisibis, Marouta of Mepairkat, John of Goostia, Shimon of Diarbekir, Adai of Agal, Eusebius of Caesarea and Joseph of Nicomedia.

But all the others were more or less maimed in their persecutions from heretics. Some had their eyes taken out; some had their ears cut off. Some had their teeth dug out by the roots. Some had the nails of their fingers and toes torn out; some were otherwise mutilated; in a word there was no one without marks of violence; save the above-named persons.

But Thomas, Bishop of Marash was an object almost too frightful to look upon; he had been mutilated by the removal of his eyes, nose and lips; his teeth had been dug out and both his legs and arms had been cut off. He had been kept in prison 22 years by the Armanites [Armenians] who used to cut off a member of his body or mutilate him in some way every year, to induce him to consent to their blasphemy, but he conquered in this fearful contest to the glory of believers and to the manifestation of the unmercifulness of the heretics. The fathers took him with them to the Council and when the king saw him, he fell down upon the ground and venerated him saying,

“I venerate thee, O thou martyr of Christ, who art adorned with many crowns.”

And to this day, there are still some among nominal Christians who, denying the church itself, think that they have somehow recreated the first century church that to this day is alive and well in The Orthodox Church, the very church that Jesus promised would not be overcome by the gates of hades.

Deb-8-a-bull
Debates: 0
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Mopac
I read the WHOLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE post. 
I'm not kidding. 

First thing first , ummmmmmm ,
( Happy first ecumenical council day.) 

Ok the coolest sounding member on the councils name is :  jonah no no it shimon of diarbekir or even jacob of nis man this council sounds kick ass pacmo.  
 Son of mar ephrons sister.  What a hoot 
I so do like this of this SPECIALLY SPIRITUALLY SELECTED BUNCH OF can i say misfits.  I'm going to. 
 COUNCIL OF AWSOMENESS.

My question.  When will this whole story start to gather some normality ?. Just a little something 
You know what i mean mow mow.?
Hit a patch of normal.
I don't inow.
I'm going to ask the lord Google about this. COUNCIL OF AWSOMENESS 
But can you do us one thing mopac? . 
Thats have a great day.

Hang on. 

Eusebius of Caesarea.   he comes with a crossbow, and if you roll a seven he loses half of his attack points.  

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
Our bishops can trace their ordinations back to the apostles. They don't just arbitrarily decide they are called by God and assume themselves to have authority.

Perhaps you missed the part where out of 318 of the bishops that attended, only 11 of them weren't maimed from the tortures of persecution.

Deb-8-a-bull
Debates: 0
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Mopac
I do either reading or comprehension. 
Anyway i got to the names and boommmmmmmmmmmmm, off i went. 
What a pip. 

Mara of Dora. If you Roll a double with Mara shim* can pass through the closest wall. 
Attack : 7 
Defense : 4

Good game 
Good game.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
It is my hope that one day these things cease to be a joke for you and that you develop a real sense of due reverence.

Just remember, even to this day, people die over this stuff. Not for any other reason than being firm in confessing The Truth even under threats of torture or death.
Mopac
Mopac
Arianism was determined to be a heresy at this council. The teaching that there was a time when The Son was not. Yet we the church know that time itself was created by The Word of God, and that there never was a time when The Son was not.

The Arian Jesus is not unlike the "Jesus Christ was a good teacher" Jesus you hear from yhe mouths and writings of those who are really trying to undermine the faith itself.