Veterans get a day, gays get a month.

Author: Alec

Total: 18
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
That's messed up.  It's harder being a veteran then a gay person.  Because of this, I quit gay pride month.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
Veterans aren't repressed and dying for who they love. LOL
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@Alec
A veteran receives respect and admiration every day of the year. The words thank you for your service echo in his ears. By contrast people in the gay community are mocked and ridiculed in popular media and in real life. I am not making a claim about which individuals may or may not have suffered more in life but the simple fact of the matter is that veterans ARE celebrated all year long while homosexuals ate often the butt of cruel jokes and the targets of violence even during gay pride month.

Perhaps instead of worrying about how unfair it is to one group when we briefly celebrate another you could try to celebrate all people and acknowledge all the struggles we face together as humans.

#GayVeterans

Alec
Alec
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
Veterans aren't repressed and dying for who they love. LOL
Gays don't get executed for being gay in the US.  Veterans die for their country.

Alec
Alec
-->
@secularmerlin
A veteran receives respect and admiration every day of the year. 
Not by everyone.  Some people don't like veterans.

By contrast people in the gay community are mocked and ridiculed in popular media and in real life. I am not making a claim about which individuals may or may not have suffered more in life but the simple fact of the matter is that veterans ARE celebrated all year long while homosexuals ate often the butt of cruel jokes and the targets of violence even during gay pride month.
The media treats gays pretty well, too well I may say.  If someone is openly anti gay, they get oppressed more in the US then if your gay.  I'm bi and I don't endure much oppression.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
Not by everyone.  Some people don't like veterans.
It doesn't matter as it isnot the prevailing attitude. The preabailing attitude is that being a veteran is honerable and being gay is perverted.
The media treats gays pretty well,
If this is arguably true then it is also an extremely recent development. Also treating homosexuals with respect and even celebrating them does not in any way equate to disrespect to veterans. To say otherwise is merely confirming the consequence.
 I'm bi and I don't endure much oppression
Good. I'm glad you have been so lucky. Many are not.

Alec
Alec
-->
@secularmerlin
 The preabailing attitude is that being a veteran is honerable and being gay is perverted.
Most Americans support homosexuality according to Pew Research.

Also treating homosexuals with respect and even celebrating them does not in any way equate to disrespect to veterans. 
If gays get a month and veterans get a day of official celebration, it would seem that being gay would be better then being a veteran.  This just isn't true.  Being LGBT is not an accomplishment.

Good. I'm glad you have been so lucky. Many are not.
Like those in Shariah law countries ruled under Islam.  Given that we're both atheists, we're probably against religious law, something that Linda Sarsour, a liberal supports.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
Most Americans support homosexuality according to Pew Research.
If this is true it is an extremely recent development and is still subject to wild regional fluctuations (the prevailing attitude in Gatlinburg Alabama will not reflect the prevailing attitude in San Francisco) and does not tell us the prevailing attitude world wide or historically. Essentially it is a non argument.
If gays get a month and veterans get a day of official celebration, it would seem that being gay would be better then being a veteran. 
Gay pride has nothing to do with veterans unless they are gay veterans. Gay pride in no way impacts respect for or celebtation of veterans. They are separate unrelated issues. If you feel veterans are not recieving their due respect then perhaps you should address that directly but gay pride has nothing to do with that issue.
Being LGBT is not an accomplishment.
Neither is being born but many people celebrate their birthdays. Humans like to celebrate themselves and I don't see anything wrong with that.
Like those in Shariah law countries ruled under Islam.  Given that we're both atheists, we're probably against religious law, something that Linda Sarsour, a liberal supports.
I don't know what this has to do with our discussion or why Linda Sarsour's political leanings effect the issue even if there is sone connection and I'm pretty sure that liberal is an unimportant distinction if Linda Sarsour's views on shariah law (or countries where it is observed) was what we were discussing.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Alec
Gays don't get executed for being gay in the US.  
That is interesting. Do you feel that only American citizens deserve consideration?

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Alec
Honestly, everyone gets a day, or nobody gets a day. I am sick of these politically pandered protected classes.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Greyparrot
So you do not subscribe to the maxim "any reason to have a party" then?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
If the net effect of creating a protected class by the government is to spawn people like Don Lemon, Carlos Maza, and Jussie Smollett who use their protected status to attack the lesser classes with impunity, then maybe having special protected classes might not be such a great idea.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@secularmerlin
Not if it is a government mandated party. People need to have the free right to associate, not forced by government.

I am a veteran and honestly, I hate veterans day, because the few people that know me offer thanks about something they have no clue about unless they were a veteran too. It's really annoying. Feels like the reverse of the 2 minute of Orwellian hate.
Where the government demands that you praise veterans.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Greyparrot
Gay pride is not a government enforced holiday in the way that veterans day is and even veterans day does not involve a government mandated celebration. No one is being firced to do anything so I'm not sure what your objections have to do with the actual situation.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Greyparrot
Sorry to hear that "your day" is not to your liking. Perhaps you could outline your ideas on a better holiday. Something that, as a veteran, you would find fun. Any reason for a party.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@secularmerlin
How about 4th of July?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Greyparrot
Is that a good holiday in your estimation?

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Alec
Moron