The Oversimplification of Political Ideology

Author: Kasmic

Total: 4
Kasmic
Debates: 0
Kasmic
Have you ever gone to lunch and had a hard time deciding between burgers, sandwiches, or tacos? If so, I hope your political opinions are at least as complex as deciding where to go to lunch. Politics is not a heads or tails coin toss; it is not progressive or conservative and yet we often present issues that way. Bret Weinstein recently did this.
What do you think? Is there an Oversimplification of Political Ideology? If so, how does this shape conversations about politics?

triangle.128k
triangle.128k
Oversimplification is used to describe a complicated world of political ideologies, to masses who merely judge based upon a few remarks and news articles about politics - them being ignorant themselves.

I quite agree politics are oversimplified. Though I'm not sure how we would go about "unsimplifying" it; how would the average joe react? Do you think they'd care to read Locke, or understand the difference between two forms of communism? 
Kasmic
Kasmic
-->
@triangle.128k
It is a fair point that the expectation of everyone to understand the nuance of political ideology is unreasonable. I do not think this justifies oversimplification. I’d settle for the average joe accepting that there is nuance even if they don’t understand it. This seems reasonable to me. I understand basic physics, but not rocket science. Am I then justified in oversimplifying the topic? Further, can I then claim that those who disagree with my positions on it are wrong? I think not. Nobody is an expert in everything. Nor need they to be. 
triangle.128k
triangle.128k
-->
@Kasmic
I do not disagree one bit. What I'd like to know is your proposal or ideas as to extent should we distinguish and classify political ideologies, which would be comprehensible enough to the commoner?