Quick/live debate

Author: Dr.Franklin

Total: 9
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
There should be an option for 5-15 minute argument time so there can be a more "live" debate feature. So like they make a small and quick argument with questions,rebuttals and defenses.I think its a good idea and leads to more variety in debates apart from the standard.
Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
It's an interesting idea.... But I think half an hour would probably be a better time frame to put as the minimum time limit for what you're proposing though.... Reading the opponents arguments, coming up with counter arguments, looking for research to back up your arguments, then actually typing them out and editing before submitting the final version.... Trying to do all of that in just 5 to 15 minutes is a pretty harrowing task to accomplish without forfeiting any rounds, especially if you have to do all that 3-4 or more times in a row in one sitting. 

The only way it could work is if arguments for such debates are kept to an incredibly small character limit. 2000 characters at most I think would be the limit of how much you could allow, just so that both sides have a chance to put something together in such a small time frame.... (If you're not sure how much 2000 characters looks like, This single post clocks in at around 1,030 characters, a bit over half of what would be allowed in a 2000 character limited debate) 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Imabench
Yeah sure
blamonkey
Debates: 24
blamonkey
-->
@Imabench
That's a bit short for a case. I'd imagine that the topics couldn't be that complex. Wouldn't a 2-3 hour round be a little better?

I guess it isn't that quick then, but I think that with such short debate rounds, it really would come down to who had the most prep offhand for such a topic.
Imabench
Imabench
-->
@blamonkey
it really would come down to who had the most prep offhand for such a topic.
Well when debates are in the open challenge section it allows anyone interested in the topic to do a crash course on the subject before accepting it. I did that all the time back when I was in my debating phase on DDO. Assuming that the instigator of the debate did research of their own before creating it, then both sides would be somewhat balanced in terms of knowledge of the topic 

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@blamonkey
Thats the point...Live debate
blamonkey
blamonkey
-->
@Imabench
I suppose that makes sense. It's sort of like PF. Out of curiosity, do you have formal debate experience on the high school or college circuit?
blamonkey
blamonkey
When I said like PF, I meant that you plan out blocks and cases before hand, but I guess any debate category is like that in the NSDA. 

Imabench
Imabench
-->
@blamonkey
Nah I didnt really get into DDO itself until college and at that point it was just a nice little time-dump for me to use whenever I grew bored of playing games on a freakin Mac, so I missed the boat to get into IRL debating by a wide margin