God is good is an assumption

Author: TheRealNihilist

Total: 210
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
Any other positive adjective you would like to attach to God as well.  

Positive adjective examples:

Good
Great
Amazing
Wonderful

Who disagrees?
Deb-8-a-bull
Debates: 0
Deb-8-a-bull
God and The letter o is Good.

But yeah, your God is pretty cool.
I believe Google is far more the wisser of the gods.
Your questionn is loaded. 
So no atheist could realy disagree with this. 

Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
What else do you people do with your day? 

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Drunken monkey strikes again. 
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
And Cruzing straight past the first assumption  , God is real.  witch is irrelevant,  
We find ourselves here talking about what the big fella was ACTUALLY like. 
Good bloke 
Good bloke

What else to you guys believe in SOOOOOOOOOOO SOOOOOOOOO much but can't prove?

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
What else do i do alllll day.?

Well that differs from day to day obviously. 
A goal of mine for sometime now has been to one day SEE and or SHARE a public toilet brake with a transsexual. 
So I'm literally driving from one public toilet to the next. 3 day a week.
I live a charmed as life. 
I wake up in the morn 9  10 am 
And speak a little nonsense with you guys and you guys only. 
Then i usually get dressed and tend to me 3 massive ANT city's made into one MASSIVE ANT WORLD. ( They need water every day. ) 
Then i do four sometimes eight hours of criminal stuff. 
Then its back to clothes off talk8ng to yalll again. 

Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Don't have to prove something to have a right to believe it. You don't have to do shit so why post here all day shitting on others. Oh yeah, atheism. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Freedom hating bigots deserve to loose their freedom. 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
@Polytheist-Witch
Don't have to prove something to have a right to believe it. You don't have to do shit so why post here all day shitting on others. Oh yeah, atheism. 
Your here so it doesn't make sense because you are a theist which goes against atheists spend all day shitting on others on the site. That is if I agree he is shitting on others. You definitely do that. 
Freedom hating bigots deserve to loose their freedom. 
Guess you don't believe in freedom then. 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
Sine we know you are a hate filled POS you are a liar. You posts shit is just shit. 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
@Polytheist-Witch
Sine we know you are a hate filled POS you are a liar. You posts shit is just shit. 
Like always. Instead of being informative you instead do what you always do which is ad-hom and name call. Typical. 

Who is "we"? 
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
I am being informative. You and your posts are bigoted. Your breatherened are bigoted. Your freedom hating selves should loose your freedom. Thanks. 
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Who disagrees?
An ancient Hebrew might disagree, although he would be careful to do so in a way that did risk offending yhwh!

The relatiuonship between ANE tribes and their gods was that those 'positive adjectives' applied as long as the god was pleased, but if they were displeased those gods turned extremely negative!

What yhwh demanded most was obedience and what made him angry was worshipping any of the other gods.   Then the adjectives 'jealous', 'vengeful', 'wrathful' would apply!

Other religionsare explicily dualistic,, with one god having 'postive' attributes and the other god the negative ones.  Such dulaism seems natural to human minds, and it appears in folk-Christianity as the enmity between God and Satan.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@keithprosser
An ancient Hebrew might disagree, although he would be careful to do so in a way that did risk offending yhwh!
Guessing a joke. 
The relatiuonship between ANE tribes and their gods was that those 'positive adjectives' applied as long as the god was pleased, but if they were displeased those gods turned extremely negative!
A relationship is proof of a relationship. Not proof what was in the relationship is true.
What yhwh demanded most was obedience and what made him angry was worshipping any of the other gods.   Then the adjectives 'jealous', 'vengeful', 'wrathful' would apply! 

Other religionsare explicily dualistic,, with one god having 'postive' attributes and the other god the negative ones.  Such dulaism seems natural to human minds, and it appears in folk-Christianity as the enmity between God and Satan.
I am guessing you are not disagreeing with me? 
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
The OP is blocking me because he'd rather debate jobbers.

For something to be good is to be right. Correct. True. Well founded. Cogent.

As The Truth is God, how can God be anything else?

It is not an assumption that God is good, there is no good without God. Of course God is good. 

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Mopac
It is not an assumption that God is good, there is no good without God. Of course God is good. 
Can you prove God requires there to be good?

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I really hope I've been posting long enough for people to know that I think gods are purely imaginary.   If it seemed was I talking of how the gods are, I am really talking about how they are imagined to be.  

The only adjective I think really applies to gods is 'non-existent', but that seemed a boring and obvious thing to say. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@TheRealNihilist
The Truth is good.

There can be nothing good without God. There can't be anything! How can nothing be good?

God is not contingent on anything, so to say that God requires there to be any thing would be a fallacy.

How do we understand morality? To love God with an undefiled intellect. God is The Truth. Sin, which literally means "to miss the mark" always obscures one's ability to abide in The Truth.

So to abide in The Truth is good. To abide in sin is evil. Just as righteousness(being correct, true) is good, and unrighteousness(being incorrect, wicked) is evil.

There is no real morality without God. Without God, what can you have? Personal aesthetic, which is by nature arbitrary.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@keithprosser
I really hope I've been posting long enough for people to know that I think gods are purely imaginary.   If it seemed was I talking of how the gods are, I am really talking about how they are imagined to be.  
I am not a regular on the Religion forum or haven't seen enough of you.
The only adjective I think really applies to gods is 'non-existent', but that seemed a boring and obvious thing to say.  
Okay. 
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Mopac
The Truth is good.
How?
There can be nothing good without God.
Why?
God is not contingent on anything, so to say that God requires there to be any thing would be a fallacy.
What fallacy is it and how do you know what God is?
How do we understand morality? To love God with an undefiled intellect.
How did you get loving God from principles of right and wrong behavior?

Everything else is contingent on what I had a problem with here so I am not going to respond it. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Your education was specifically engineered to undermine Christianity.

That being the case, you will not understand me unless you show me some charity. Please grant me this patience.

God is what makes something good. It isn't a matter of personal aesthetics. The way western philosophy(and maybe even heterodox Christianity) understands morality is not how we Orthodox Christians understand morality. God is good, and so what is good to us is abiding in God. We call this conforming to the divine energy of God's grace "theosis". 

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Mopac
Your education was specifically engineered to undermine Christianity.
If Christianity wasn't undermine-able by simply asking questions then you would be able to answer what I said. So you aren't going to answer my questions on top of that you are pretty much saying you have to be indoctrinated into Christianity in order to understand what is "good" and "truth".
That being the case, you will not understand me unless you show me some charity. Please grant me this patience.
I ask you questions and you beg me to not ask questions I guess? In order for me to understand you I need to ask questions. 
God is what makes something good.
How?
God is good, and so what is good to us is abiding in God.
I understand after the comma but now how God is actually good.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Because The Ultimate Reality is God, and good is that which is true and right.

This is part of what I mean by you being educated in such a way as to undermine Christianity. It is not that I am indoctrinated. It is really quite the opposite. The people who worked out your education despise Christianity, so they are indoctrinating the population with newspeak specifically designed to make what we believe unintelligible.

The example I point out the most is God, which actually means "The Ultimate reality". How many atheists accept this as being what the word means? Obviously if they knew this and accepted this, they wouldn't be atheists.

Another example here is "good". To most people, good is what seems nice, beneficial, or whatever aligns with some arbitrary sense of aesthetics. That is not how we understand good. Even Socrates was closer than those today when he said 'There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.'.

The point is that Truth is what determines good. Without Truth, there is no good. That being the case, it follows quite naturally that being good is about abiding in The Truth.

We orthodox Christians worship The Truth as God.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Mopac
Because The Ultimate Reality is God, and good is that which is true and right.
How is God ultimate reality? This time don't use the word good (any other adjective), true, right, ultimate reality or God. I'll see if that works.
This is part of what I mean by you being educated in such a way as to undermine Christianity. It is not that I am indoctrinated. It is really quite the opposite. The people who worked out your education despise Christianity, so they are indoctrinating the population with newspeak specifically designed to make what we believe unintelligible.
Evidence of non-Biblical indoctrination?
The example I point out the most is God, which actually means "The Ultimate reality". How many atheists accept this as being what the word means? Obviously if they knew this and accepted this, they wouldn't be atheists.
I'll keep that in mind that ultimate reality and God are the same meaning to you.
Another example here is "good". To most people, good is what seems nice, beneficial, or whatever aligns with some arbitrary sense of aesthetics. That is not how we understand good. Even Socrates was closer than those today when he said 'There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.'.
How is "those today" wrong?
The point is that Truth is what determines good. Without Truth, there is no good. That being the case, it follows quite naturally that being good is about abiding in The Truth.
How is God truth? Can't use good or anything other adjective.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Orthodox Christian theology is expressed in apodictic truths.

What that means is that these are not philosophical conclusions, but that which is self evident.

That being the case, you are asking the wrong questions.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Mopac
Orthodox Christian theology is expressed in apodictic truths.
What that means is that these are not philosophical conclusions, but that which is self evident.
I don't accept self-evident for anything so I require evidence. Have any? 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@TheRealNihilist
The logical conclusion of your approach is "Prove to me that it is true that there is truth!"

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Mopac
The logical conclusion of your approach is "Prove to me that it is true that there is truth!"
No it isn't. It is prove to me what you are saying is truth.
You consistently engage in circular logic and my questions have been clear on what I wanted out of you yet still you are not able to answer simple questions.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@TheRealNihilist
We define good by God.
Good to us is abiding in God.

That being the case, if you accept what I am saying, your question is clearly unreasonable.

Apodictic truth.

TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Mopac
We define good by God.
Then how is it good? Why aren't you calling it God's will?
Apodictic truth.
No it isn't. Self-evident is not evidence.