Regarding Mental Health in DART

Author: Vader

Total: 29
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
If you keep up with the community of the internet, you would have saw that popular gamer Etika has passed away by committing suicide by jumping off the Manhattan BridgeThis man was someone I looked up to and was someone I enjoyed watching. Life is too short to say and I just wanted to say that we all care and love you in this server. I know most of you won't care, but this deals with the serious issue of mental health

If you ever are struggling with mental health, contact a head mod on DART to talk to them about your struggles. If you can not talk to them, talk to a Discord Mod. Suicide is not an option. Call the Hotlines whenever you can. People care for you. It just goes to show that you can never tell a book by its cover. It is a just really sad and disheartening that this happened to someone, and proof that depression can affect the happiest of people

Please go and donate to suicide prevention treaties. You are all loved by us, despite our debates. We are a community. You are valued here 

-SupaDudz (sorry for the ping, but this is a serious issue)
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
I think it is worth noting that the therepeutic method of The Orthodox Church is an effective cure for depression.

Vader
Vader
-->
@Mopac
While in some of my saddest times, my religion has helped through my dark points, we have to face reality. This isn't the case for all people. It is sad our religion can't provide us the same benefits for all, but it is a reality

I am a realest to an extent, and religion does not help all of us
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Vader
A patient who does not follow the doctors orders can not expect to get well.

The reality is that the church has within its experience the cure for depression. 

If you are not reading the writings of the church throughout history on these things, you are not really taking advantage of what has been handed down to you. 

The therepeutic method of the church certainly cures depression.

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Vader
That's crazy
David
Debates: 91
David
My deepest condolences to his family. If you need to talk to anyone, you can always contact me or bsh. We'd be happy to listen and talk. 
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
-->
@David
@bsh1
Could the “About DART” thread, as well as the “Introduce Yourself” thread, have links to helplines for suicide, depression/anxiety, PTSD, and a general mental health thing? Could be useful.
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
This site seems to be a magnet for suicide shit. WTF? 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
This is bringing up sad memories of Lannan.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
And thats a bed thing?
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Did you mean bed or bad? 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
bad
Polytheist-Witch
Polytheist-Witch
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Don't know for a small site it seems concerning. 

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
How?
Vader
Vader
-->
@David
Thank you for the condolences. I am fine, but it was just sad to see one of my favorite YouTubers kill himself. This is just an awareness and made me realize the true effects of depression 
Vader
Vader
-->
@Polytheist-Witch
This is not about the site. This is general info after a tragic event happened to someone in the internet community
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@Tejretics
That's something I can add. While users should always feel free to talk to mods about problems they're having, we are not certified to provide any kind of counseling or mental health care, and so having those links would be useful.
David
Debates: 91
David
-->
@Vader
That's something that @Bsh will have to decide on, but I am in full support of it 
Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
This reminds me of Lannan13. I miss him.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
I did not know something happened to lannan. 
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@oromagi
He took his own life. It was...rough...for the whole community.
keithprosser
Debates: 0
keithprosser
-->
@bsh1
@Tejretics
Could the “About DART” thread, as well as the “Introduce Yourself” thread, have links to helplines for suicide, depression/anxiety, PTSD, and a general mental health thing? Could be useful.
Isn't that like assuming the reason people join DA is that they are depressed or suicidal?

'Welcome! You don't have to be mad to post here... but you probably are, so here's a link to the samaritans.'

It would probably save more lives if DA promoted non-smoking and moderate drinking - but is that what internet forums/debate sites are for?

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@bsh1
Yeah, that makes me very sad.  I didn't know him well but I did a couple debates against him and mafia games, of course.  I remember once we were scum together and he hated that- he always struck me as polite and modest even in situations where those qualities made him less competitive.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@keithprosser
The link probably is not going to be in the introduce yourself thread, but I will find somewhere to put it.
Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
-->
@bsh1
@oromagi
Lannan never once got angry with anyone. He was just too calm for that. He was always nice and polite.
Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@keithprosser
Isn't that like assuming the reason people join DA is that they are depressed or suicidal?
No -- it's simply assuming that some people who join DART happen to have mental health issues, usually unrelated to the reason they joined, and that disseminating information about resources has some plausible value.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Tejretics
I admit I can't see it doing any actual harm,  But why limit it to mental health issues?  Some people who join DA will smoke, drink or eat too much than is good for them.  Some will be gambling addicts,  Wouldn't they benefit from some links to relevant resources?

Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@keithprosser
Sure.

However, there’s two considerations: (1) I suspect more people have some mental illness or have some significant mental health struggles than people who’re, say, gambling addicts. (2) There’s also a nonconsequentialist element of complicity here -- it is certainly conceivable that DART (like any other Internet forum, ranging from Facebook and YouTube to mafia forums) exacerbates problems such as anxiety and depression in a way that it doesn’t with alcoholism, and therefore has responsibility to partially compensate for that by giving people access to help. 
Outplayz
Outplayz
What's up with all this mental health crap... being on this site in general already makes you weird. Everyone is struggling with something and from working with a lot of addicts... i've noticed others trying to define what those problems are and making guidelines on how to handle it is a trigger like no other. Just be kind to others. That is really it. It's easy. Have empathy for the people you disagree with, and just talk. That's all you have to do... there doesn't need to be a corny section or thread "talk to me if you're feeling down" ... that doesn't work and is annoying as hell.   

Things like hotlines and stuff do work... but usually, that is the person's choice to look it up. Maybe my view is skewed a little bc i worked with addicts, bc they are the rebel types... but they also almost always have a mental health issue. The vast majority would say others telling them to get help, others trying to sound empathetic like they understand anything... are some of the worst triggers. A person that doesn't give two craps if they live or die doesn't want to hear any of this mental health crap... Just be cool. Most people i pulled out of addiction, that's all i had to do. Is accept them for who they are. Which means not talking to them like they're idiots or that they don't know exactly what they're doing to themselves. They do, they just don't care.