New York Man Charged w/ Felony After Shooting 2 In Home Invasion

Author: TheDredPriateRoberts

Total: 43
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts

I can't think of any logical counter argument to what he has said, but I'd like to see someone try.

Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
Normally, the state legislature should craft special provisions for direct family.
disgusted
disgusted
What is this fuckin' post about?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@disgusted
hmm thought it was pretty obvious, but..... he used a gun in self defense as prescribed by the 2a etc and yet HE was arrested for not registering the gun, the very constitutional instrument he used legally to defend himself, it's ironic, fascist, Colion explained it pretty well, does that help or are you still confused?
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Was I supposed to idiotly watch an an unsolicited youtu?
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@disgusted
if you wanted to participate in a thread which a video is the prime subject, yes, why wouldn't you?  It's such basic logic, so simple, I'm perplexed at the difficulty you have understanding these elementary concepts.
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
This one's a toughie. Clearly he was justified in defending himself but at the same time, laws should apply to all men alike.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@dustryder
yes laws should apply to all, however they have discretion as to whether or not to file charges.  As Colion said in the video, the man is already traumatized enough having experienced what he did and doing what he had to.  Imo the decent thing to do would not to file charges for something so trivial which harmed no one.  He does a good job explaining why such laws are b.s. in the first place.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Well as far as the charge goes, the law is the law.  There really should be room for discretion at the very least for close family.  Its possible he even owned other guns that have been passed down for generations (before the registrations) and now he would have no legal right to them, and no equal footing to defend himself in the future.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
I mean, it's like the state has to enforce these laws just to keep people in fear of the government, not to actually protect the people from anything.

That's kinda scary.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Greyparrot
I mean, it's like the state has to enforce these laws just to keep people in fear of the government, not to actually protect the people from anything. 

That's kinda scary.

bingo, and it's scary no kinda about it.  A safe and self sufficient populous needs very little government and it's function would mostly be foreign affairs.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I would need more information. I live in Cali so the laws are different. We don't need to register guns. It is a felony however, i think recently, that any AR platform type weapon needs to be registered. I don't remember exactly, i'd have to look it up. If someone used one to defend them self and it wasn't registered... what would happen? Well, you'd likely get hit with the felony charge depending on the judge, your past, the lawyers. If he had a clean past, a good attorney and a cool judge... it could be a slap on the wrist. You never know with the legal system. With all that said, i think the only charge should be for the gun... the fact if it was registered or not shouldn't matter in the regards to him saving himself with it. That's just dumb. But laws are laws... overall it's really dumb. Our lives are in the hands of lawyers and judges in theses situations... which translates to our lives are in the hands of humans (flawed and filled with their own crap). That why they say it's better to use common rounds for home defense... not round that say "ripper" or "tomb stone" or something... bc lawyers will sit there and twist everything making you seem like the bad guy. "He used ripper rounds bc he was looking to hurt another person" ... crap like that. 

So... the message i got out of this is follow laws people. Especially gun laws. Do common sense stuff and realize other people don't think like you... and that people are flawed and will try to ruin your life for their gain. When it comes to home defense... you have to factor all of that. Use common rounds, don't go overkill, don't shot when the guy/girl is down ... you have to think of all those consequences. 

Other than that, i agree with Noir. Other than registration = confiscation. I'm not too sure about that. I don't think that would happen if we had to register... although it does give unnecessary power to the government. I don't think criminals will register, it will only be citizens. I have to think more about it... will registration stop criminals? I don't know... we need background checks for ammo in Cali now... lets see what happens. I'd guess nothing. 
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@Outplayz
This journalist explains in further detail, and went into the requirements for owning a handgun in Oneida County
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Snoopy
So this person broke the law and even though you don't believe law breakers should be able to own guns you think that this particular law breaker has every right to own a gun and kill people. Pro killing, pro gun lobbyists are quite hypocritical, aren't they?
Why not give every law breaker a gun?
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@disgusted

Are you responding to the journalist, or Coloin Noir who made the video in the OP?

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Snoopy
I'm not responding to anyone I'm commenting on the article you linked to and it's consequences.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@disgusted
So this person broke the law and even though you don't believe law breakers should be able to own guns you think that this particular law breaker has every right to own a gun and kill people.
I don't have enough information on his intentions.  Its very common and practical for family to borrow and exchange their guns for whatever reason, especially among the poor, and normally there should be appropriate provisions in the law to allow for that so that common folk can intuitively stay on the safe side of the law.  He would lose his legal right, not because he broke the law, but because he reported the event to police and upon investigation they found he was in possession of an unregistered handgun handed down from his father and he was charged with a felony.  There are states that have legal requirements for permits and transfer where this would not have happened.  A felony is the threshold, not breaking the law.  I think there should be a course of appeals for some felons to get back on equal footing.

Why not give every law breaker a gun?

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Snoopy
..."Thus, under state law, this otherwise law-abiding citizen was “guilty” of a Class E felony punishable by up to four years in state prison and the permanent loss of his Second Amendment rights."..
1} So he broke the law irrepsective of whether law is good or bad. 

...."Additionally, the local government seized possession of Stolarczyk’shouse, claiming it was in violation of local housing codes, purportedly becausehe could not afford running water or electricity and kept the house full of oldelectronics."..
2} It appears he violated some housing code ---another law--- as a resultant of being poor.

...:First, anyone interested in owning a handgun must pick up the application in person, which can only be done at the Oneida County Office Building.:..
3} Another law and we all know laws ---reasonable or unreasonble--- are made to be broken.

..."But prepare to take time off work, because this building is only open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 12 p.m., and 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m."...
4} Narrow  window for sure and may seem ureaonable, tho we dont know all the circumstances of that counties operative systems.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Snoopy
Wow. 

First things first... a .38 revolver? Awesome. I already like this guy. I personally would have had it loaded with 357 but man he got my respect. I love revolvers. Six shots i'm assuming... perfect take down. 

The guys situation just sucks all around. With a good attorney, from what i've read, he can get the charges dropped. I hope a pro bono attorney hears about his case and hooks him up... it's defensible. 

It's defensible bc of the last paragraphs. The requirements to get the license are burdensome and oppressive... especially to someone that can't afford to take time off work. 

His case can be argued. I hope he doesn't just get a stupid public defender... but if he does, i hope he gets a plea deal for lesser consequences bc of media attention... it would be messed up if they use him as an example. The guy is innocent on all accounts in my eyes if that is how it played out (in the article). 

I hate the law bc it only benefits the wealthy in a lot of ways. 

DBlaze
DBlaze
-->
@mustardness
You are such a hypocrite.  This guy, who is actually a citizen, is going through hard times... has a gun that was given to him by his dad, protects himself, then gets arrested for it and you can't even try to defend him?  Are you against him because he has a gun, or because he broke the law, or is it because, oh I don't know.... He is a citizen?  Or is it because he is an old white man?  All of the above.  He has white mail priveledge and there is no reason he should be broke?  Is that it?

Why don't you say that about every single illegal immigrant here in the country, they all broke the law, but you don't believe in that law because it is unreasonable, but this one is reasonable?  You are so for people that are not citizens and hate everyone that is.  That is the problem with people these days, they don't care for their own.  I wonder how you treat your own family.   I would venture to say that you have had a falling out with most of your family and are not on speaking terms with them.  Just a guess.  You will not admit it, but if it is true, I hope it makes you think about your choices more if I guessed right. 
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Why not post the police report instead of a second hand opinion if he wasn't there that is?
If there isn't a police report I much rather have an actual news source telling me the news not some random guy with a YouTube channel.

To expect me to have a logical argument when your source isn't credible for the facts is really stupid. 
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Snoopy
So your position is that any and all law breakers should have guns so they can kill people.
DBlaze
DBlaze
-->
@disgusted
My opinion is that you only care about minorities and illegal immigrants.  You do not care about legal citizens or old white men, who were dealt a bad hand, believe it or not, they do exist.  Regardless if this article and the rantings of the youtube video is true or not.  These are your true colors. 

I care about everyone, and everyone's situation is different.  

We know this guys situation, at least what was reported, he was poor, couldn't afford to keep the water running, or the lights on, but he inherited a gun, which makes him evil.  We know nothing about the people crossing the borders situation, yet they get the benefit of the doubt?  They might have owned many guns back home, or they did not have a home, or they had to sell the guns to random people to stay afloat until finally, they decided to trek to America and claim asylum even though they were in no danger, they just had no money.  They may even have criminal backgrounds worse than not registering a gun, how do we know?  They could be from a different country that they are saying they are from.

As much as I have empathy for people crossing the border and trying to make a better life for themselves, there are many people that actually live here that are in the same situation and get worse treatment.  Some of them are vets, how can we let that happen.  We have forgotten that the US needs should come first.  
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@DBlaze
So your position is that any and all law breakers should have guns so they can kill people.
Your trawler full of red herrings wasn't impressive.
DBlaze
DBlaze
-->
@disgusted
I have no fng' clue what you are talking about.  Forget about the gun.

The guy broke the law, and the law is stupid, you want to punish him. 

Illegal immigrants broke the law, and the law is stupid, you want to reward them.   

Just plain old Anti-American.  

This is probably one of your favorite videos, released two days before July 4th.  Thanks NY Times.  https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/01/opinion/america-great.html  
So Patriotic isn't it? Maybe it's true, but seriously why put this out there right now of all times? In contrast,  Why do people still flock to the US if we are just OK.  Why did the people who promise to leave if Trump became POTUS, not leave?

Because, despite all of our shortcomings, we are still the greatest country in the world.  If they want to boast about how we are not, why don't they also tell kids the truth, that dreams do not come true, and you really can't be anything you want to be.  Make a video like that to compliment this one and ratings from people like Disgusted will go through the roof.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@TheRealNihilist
I don't expect anything.  You could however assume what he says is true and join the discussion as a devil's advocate kind of thing, it's up to you.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@DBlaze
Excellent video, so true.
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
I don't expect anything.  You could however assume what he says is true and join the discussion as a devil's advocate kind of thing, it's up to you.
I am not assume anything. I'll wait for the police report or not talk about an investigation that is currently going on. I don't have the information nor am I a professional to know what typical things that might occur. Sure I could parrot professionals but I haven't really read up on their work. 

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@DBlaze
Because, despite all of our shortcomings, we are still the greatest country in the world.
The video puts the lie to that.

DBlaze
DBlaze
-->
@disgusted
Spoken like a true anti-american.