approval rating method for electing presidents

Author: n8nrgmi

Total: 11
n8nrgmi
Debates: 0
n8nrgmi
every voter should mark approve or disapprove for every candidate on the ballot. the top two candidates should have a run off election to refine their arguments and the winner becomes president. the great thing about this approach is it gives the presidency to the person with the broadest base of support. it prevents elections like the last one, where we had two very unpopular candidates on the ticket.

i guess if you like having more extreme candidates having shots at president, then this method might not be for you. the thing is though, even if you get your extreme candidate from time to time, the other side will get theirs more often too. i would guess someone like john kasich would have done well in this sort of election. we shouldn't let a plurality that is less than a majority be able to foist their candidate on everyone else. 
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Alec
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@n8nrgmi
Want a centrist that stands for nothing? You've created the perfect system. ;)
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@n8nrgmi
What I would prefer is the pie chart method.  This way, every party with significant support gets to be in power for some time.  It would also bring about 3rd parties like the Libertarians, getting to run the country their way for the amount of time that they get based off of their support.  A lot of people claim to be "fiscally conservative, socially liberal" but they vote GOP or Democrat because they don't think the libertarians would win.  The libertarians would get way more power from their new support.
Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
Centrists stand for some right wing and some left wing beliefs.

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
@Alec
As a centrist who leans to the left myself, I am aware of what a centrist can be but I am referring to the type of centrist who stands for nothing other than popular stances.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
We already have that, its called the primaries
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Dr.Franklin
you do see how the approval rating system is different than our current primaries, right? trump and hillary had low approval ratings, even lower than some of the people they beat. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@n8nrgmi
Not among their own parties
n8nrgmi
n8nrgmi
-->
@Dr.Franklin
i wouldn't be so sure of that. there may have been a lot of people who approved of kasich or maybe someone like marco rubio more than trump, cause a lot of republicans didn't like trump at all. never trumpers they were called. just because you have a plurality in voting doesn't mean you are the most popular. our system promotes small factions of people foisting candidates who may not even be that popular on everyone else to choose from. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@n8nrgmi
A lot of Republicans do like Trump, a lot of Democrats liked Clinton, the fact is that GOP and Dem only votes for who is running for them,and if not then that's why we have third party