keithprosser
... we landed on the moon.

I thought I'd mention it.

mustardness
Debates: 0
mustardness
-->
@keithprosser
Luna = moon = Lunatics dream of going to the moon { 1850 } and live on its surface.

Men are from Mars, women are from Venus, and Trump{ and his cult } are from the moon.
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@keithprosser
It remains the crowning achievement in all human history.

Hopefully we see it topped within our lifetime.
keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@Stronn
It remains the crowning achievement in all human history.
Oddly low-key celebrations,tho..

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
emotional
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Stronn
Hopefully we see it topped within our lifetime.
Waste of money as humans are not going to live on moon mars etc any time soon.

Stop the friggin pussy footin around with useless dreams that pollute the evnviroment for no good reason.

The Earth and its 7 billion peo[;e need to fix the many humanity threatening dangers first, here on Earth before continuing onwward with hopes of colonizing or mining the moon, mars are any of Jupitor or Saturns moons.

It lacks rational logical common sense and humans will aid assiting humans to fail to pass their exam for existence on Earth. Get real already or perish. 

It is that simple. Not a complex scenario with complex set of factors to grasp.   Hey, I love cosmic stuff as much as anyone, but some  adults need to draw the the rational logical common sense priorties for humans.  Stupied is as stupid is as stupid does and sending humans to moon was a nationalistic ego game with USSR.

The year is 2019 not 1919 and we have met the enemy is us { humans }. Read my lips/text.

This is a minimal brainer of those who can drop their ego and face the truth.
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@mustardness
There will always be the short-sighted who insist on fixing every problem in our little cave before we explore outside it.

It's a good thing their view doesn't usually prevail, or we would still be living in caves.
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@keithprosser
They did light the Washington Monument to look like Apollo 11.

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Inb4 moonlanding faked
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Stronn
It's a good thing their view doesn't usually prevail, or we would still be living in caves.
So you think a cave and planet with an eco-system that sustains countless numbers of biologicals and complex humans are that easily comparable.

Sorry Stronn you obviously have not idea what your talking about and your foot, no wait, thats  your metaphysical-1 ego,  stuck in your mouth.

Stronn
Stronn
-->
@mustardness
The analogy is apt. It is extremely short-sighted to think that, because exploration won't immediately solve some of our most pressing problems, we therefore should not explore.
mustardness
mustardness
The analogy is apt
Cave with no door is open to oxygen and background ionised radiation will not kill most people.

PLanet Earth has oxygen but if we go through opening to outer space, there is no oxygen and the ionizing radiation is much higher.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Exploring outside the cave may kill me, even with my clothes own, but I will at least have oppurtunity to bring back some food and water.

Exploring outside Earths eco-system is very likely to kill me much shorter time, even with extremmely high tech suit on and I will not be bringing back food or water.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So on and so on.  Humans to moon and beyond is waste of money and valuable resources that will only pollute the atmosphere unnecessarily.

At minimum I would perhaps vote for exploring with non-manned but  even that is a world that is hurting as much as we are does not need more cosmos mind expansion. Again, I love cosmic stufff, but we have to set our priorities as humankind existence on Earth.

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
REEEEEEEE, WHY DID NEIL ARMSTRONG SAY MANKIND,ITS PEOPLE KIND!!!

Orange man bad
disgusted
disgusted
The poor mop has become the coward he has tried to hide.
If you can't handle honesty then BLOCK the truth tellers
The stupids exist
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@mustardness
How could you know you would find food and water outside the cave? Sure, you know it now. But what about before anyone had ever ventured outside? That's the whole point of exploration--you don't know what you will find.

It's not simply a matter of priorities. Viewing it that way assumes that spending X dollars on a problem will fix it X amount. Sorry, but just throwing government money at a problem usually fails to solve the problem, and too often causes worse problems.

It's not huge chunks of the budget we're talking about. Even at the peak of the space race in 1966, NASA's budget was only 4.4 percent of the total federal budget. Today it is a mere 0.5 percent.

Also, who knows what technologies will result from space exploration. Currently NASA has produced more than 2,000 spinoff technologies, including LASIK surgery, cochlear impants, firefighting equipment, memory foam, dustbusters, highway safety grooves, and the computer at which you sit. Taking 0.5 percent of the budget and putting it toward world hunger is not going to solve world hunger. But technologies developed for, say, a self-sustaining Moon colony, might.

mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Stronn
It's not simply a matter of priorities.

Yes it is and humanity obviously does not have its priorities in order and particalliy is because we do  not have a unified humanity.

We have 150 seperate soveriegnties each with their own set of priorities fro their nation and not humanity as a whole.

Luna-tics = 1850's people who dreamed of going to the moon

Mars-a-tics = 2018 peoples who dream of going to the Mars ---or other planets--- as being more beneificial to humanity, rather than;

1} putting that money, mind and effort toward making our ecological environment sustainable for humans and all other biological life for much longer than the shortest times that are resultant from,

2] an even a low end assessment of Erratic Global Climate change, --resultant of global warming---, human over population problem   ---ergo its specific long list of specific set of resultant problems---,

3 } those who have stockpiled hydrogen bombs, or as securing their own soveriegnty would like to have their own stock pile of hydrogen bombs.

Stronn
Stronn
-->
@mustardness
Actually, the word "lunatic" comes from the notion that changes in the Moon's phases caused insanity.

Taking space exploration money and putting it toward the environment instead might sound like a good idea, but again ignores the fact that throwing money at a problem is not guaranteed to help with the problem.

If nothing else, the long-term future of humanity depends on us spreading into space. The Earth is only habitable for another 2 to 3 billion years.
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@Stronn
If nothing else, the long-term future of humanity depends on us spreading into space.
Your confused dude, ignorant, ill-informed and lack eduaction of planet Earth circustances  humanity is facing now, not a billion years from now.

Your long term concerns 2 billion years from now ergo go to Mars now.

Humanity is not going to make it a 1000 years from now by going to Mars. Costly, poluting and ineffective in regards to humanities survival in shorter terms of next 500 - 1000 years.  Do you understand the words coming out of my mouth and off my finger tips?

Get real regarding survival of humanity now, not a billion years from now.

keithprosser
keithprosser
-->
@mustardness
I don't see it has to be the NASA budget that hasto go.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Stronn
"Depends on us spreading into space".  

Who is us?  Who, in your minds eye do you see when you refer to us?
mustardness
mustardness
-->
@keithprosser
I don't see it has to be the NASA budget that hasto go.
Didnt say that exactly.  Saying space exploration cannot and should not be placed above humanities survival on Earth first.

Not saying we cant walk { survive } and chew gum { space exploration } at same time, rather I'm saying walking is priority to all efforts to make a gum that degrades our biologic operating systems and more so when our { humanities health } is already in jeopardy.

Lets move to a unified humanity with truth, honesty, integrity as the basis for education and then take a planet wide vote. Over 50% moves the boat in that direction, and 60% more so and 70% more so etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1} putting that money, mind and effort toward making our ecological environment sustainable for humans and all other biological life for much longer than the shortest times that are resultant from,

2] an even a low end assessment of Erratic Global Climate change, --resultant of global warming---, human over population problem   ---ergo its specific long list of specific set of resultant problems---,

3 } those who have stockpiled hydrogen bombs, or as securing their own soveriegnty would like to have their own stock pile of hydrogen bombs.

mustardness
mustardness
How could you know you would find food and water outside the cave?
You look{ visual } feel { the wind }and smell  from inside the cave an know something  before even going outside the cave.

We the further we go from Earths surface the colder it gets and we know that from cave drwellers who left and climbed mountains or saw snow capped mountains and realized snow = colder tempartures.

We sent ballons higher and found their was less oxygen.

Somewhere along the way, ---before orbiting Earth---  humans realized that Earths atmosphere protects humans from ioizing radiation outside of the atmosphere.

Rocket techology was resultant of war. NASA's beginnings began with

..."German rocket scientist Wernher von Braun (1912-1977), born in 1912 in Wirsitz, Germany, took an early interest in rockets and the possibility of space exploration. As a young man, he joined the German Rocket Society (Verein fur Raumschiffahrt). In 1932, von Braun joined the German army to work on the development of ballistic missiles. By 1937, he was the head of the Peenemeunde Rocket Center and leader of the Nazi rocket program that eventually developed the V-1 “buzz bomb” and the deadly V-2, the world’s first ballistic missile."...

19 days later

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@keithprosser
Sure we did, enjoy the TV show.