AMA - Bsh1

Author: bsh1

Total: 177
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@Alec
There are three great reasons. First, there are a finite number of jobs--some people will always have to be in minimum wage jobs. Second, if you have a job, you shouldn't be forced to live in poverty. Third, the poor have far fewer opportunities to improve their situation than those in other income brackets, and so need more protections to prevent their exploitation and minimize their suffering.

Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@bsh1
First, there are a finite number of jobs--some people will always have to be in minimum wage jobs. 
There are tens of millions of jobs that don't require college degrees that poor people can do and receive at least $15 an hour through work that deserves it.  Until all of the good jobs get used that don't require college, there are options for poor people.

Second, if you have a job, you shouldn't be forced to live in poverty. 
No one should be forced to live in poverty, but getting out of poverty is something that has to be earned in most cases by having not just any job, but one that is productive enough to society.  If you spend 80 hours a week working on a crossward puzzle, is it a hard "job"?  Yes.  Do you deserve to be paid for it?  No, because it isin't productive to society.  If you have a job that isin't very productive, you shouldn't get a very high wage, especially since there are many productive alternative jobs for poor people to do that pay very well.  Get all of the good jobs without college degrees to be used, and then from there, we could see if there are any more poor people that need a job.  
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
What are your top 5 favourite fantasy series/standalone novels?

bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Alec
Let's have a debate about the living wage then. If you're willing, let me know, and I'll send you a challenge.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@dustryder
To be honest, I don't read many standalone novels. If one wants to consider Dracula a fantasy, I read that recently and enjoyed it immensely. As for series:

1. Dresden Files
2. Harry Potter
3. Lord of the Rings + The Hobbit
4. A Song of Ice and Fire
5. Bartimaeus Sequence

Alec
Alec
-->
@bsh1
My parents don't want me debating anymore due to school.  I also have noticed that I don't have the energy to post debates anymore.  We can figure out if abolishing the minimum wage is a good idea on this thread.  It's easier on both of us.
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Alec
So in your opinion an ideal society would have no fast food joints, no waiters/waitresses at restaurants, no sales associates/cashier's at stores, etc. because those jobs tend to be at or near the minimum wage and your solution to poverty is "lul just don't do those jobs do something else instead lul lul" rather than raising the minimum wage.
Alec
Alec
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
So in your opinion an ideal society would have no fast food joints, no waiters/waitresses at restaurants, no sales associates/cashier's at stores, etc. because those jobs tend to be at or near the minimum wage and your solution to poverty is "lul just don't do those jobs do something else instead lul lul" rather than raising the minimum wage.
There would be fast food joints, waiters, and cashiers but they would be employed largely by teenagers and the teenagers don't need as much money as an adult working in those jobs.  Teenagers would be fine with working for less since they don't have to pay for as much.

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Alec
One of my more intelligent mentors in the Marines had a little catchphrase that he always loved to throw in at any opportunity. 'Simple answers for simple minds' he would say.

Idk if I have ever told you this but you are the only human on this entire planet that reminds me of that man and his catchphrase every single time you type words.
Alec
Alec
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
What is wrong with a simple solution to some things?

bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Alec
I prefer not to debate in the forums. It tends to be far less organized, substantially longer, and less evidence-based. There is a precision and concreteness in debating which the forums, by their very nature, lack.
Alec
Alec
-->
@bsh1
It tends to be...substantially longer

Arguments in the forums are shorter on average.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Alec
I disagree. 
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@bsh1
If you lived through human extinction or nuclear fallout what would you do?

You don't know there are more life left. That is up to you to find if they are out there or not.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@TheRealNihilist
If you lived through human extinction or nuclear fallout what would you do?
That's a very bleak question. Supposing it was still there, I would inhabit the Palace of Versailles, because why the hell not, and I would probably spend my time writing and reading and looking for food.

Alec
Alec
-->
@bsh1
What do you think of Elon Musk?
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Alec
I don't know much about him. While I think space exploration is something we should accelerate, I think he comes across as a bit of a loony tune.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Alec
 I think he comes across as a bit of a loony tune.

Sure, but it's his personality
Vaarka
Debates: 0
Vaarka
-->
@bsh1
Have you read The Martian? 

Can I have a hug :3

What are we gonna use to jam to music now that rabbit is dead? 

Advice for living in an apartment? 
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Vaarka

If you sign a lease deal, have a plan in place for whether you are going to renew it or move out at least threeonths before the lease expires.

Ask if utilities are included (obviously) if they aren't, ask how much your potential future neighbors pay for utilities on average (also obvious but slightly less so)

If you plan on living there multiple years ask potential future neighbors that have been there a while how much rent tends to increase from year to year. My place just went from $615 to $630 a month - quite reasonable - but a friend of mine living in a different complex just had theirs go from $750 to $825. Much less reasonable, and the landlord is only required to give about a month of notice.

When the city inspectors ask why the place smells so strongly of bleach don't tell them the truth about the dead hooker assuming they will think it is a joke. They won't. Learned that one the hard way.

Edit: All roommates are cockblockers. Even if you have known them for years and they have always been cool the second you become roommates they will become a cockblockers. Get a roommate only if absolutely necessary. You have been warned.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Vaarka
No...but it's on my list.

Ofc. *hug*

Wait...RABBIT IS DEAD?!

Don't be too loud. Otherwise, it's not too much different from dorm life.

Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
-->
@bsh1
Second, while I consider myself well-read and knowledgeable about a wide array of topics, I typically read Science Fiction and Fantasy
I LOVE YOU <3

GO READ THE RED QUEEN SERIES IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY IT IS SOOOOOO GOOD

Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
-->
@bsh1
What does bsh stand for?
Oh...something ;)
There's no b in "something"

Also, keep in mind that I'm a child before you reply lol
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Speedrace
lol
Vaarka
Vaarka
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
It's a campus apartment. I was originally supposed to live with three otherr people, but I only knew my roommate. We had to roll the dice to see who our new roommates would be. Then my roommate told me only yesterday he wasn't coming back to school, so now I've just been awkwardly hanging out while the other two bring in their gf 24/7 and only really hang out with them. 

Also no dishwasher 
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Vaarka
Also no dishwasher

Oh hey that reminds me, I have a dishwasher!

14 months. Never used it. Overrated.
Vaarka
Vaarka
-->
@bsh1
No...but it's on my list.
Good, it's a great book

Ofc. *hug*
Yay :3

Wait...RABBIT IS DEAD?!
Yep

I mentioned it in my post to disc, but my roommate from last year decided last minute not to return to school so now I'm with two people I don't really know and it kinda sucks rip. They seem cool so far but they kinda just come and go with their girlfriends. Hell I talked to one of the girlfriends about a game longer than I've talked to the guy I'm living with. Hopefully it's perfectly manageable because losing my previous roommate sucks a lot
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@bsh1

Ha ha ha, oh bsh...

haha...

ehhh...

Yeah my neighbors probably hate me.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
14 months. Never used it. Overrated.
See, I hate manual labor of any kind. I hated not having a dishwasher with a vitriolic passion...I'd rather not have AC than not have a dishwasher.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Vaarka
Yep
Why'd it die...?

And better to have roommates who aren't around a lot than ones who are around a lot and annoying.