What does hate mean?

Author: disgusted

Total: 118
disgusted
Debates: 0
disgusted
hate

verb
verb: hate; 3rd person present: hates; past tense: hated; past participle: hated; gerund or present participle: hating
  1. 1.
    feel intense dislike for.
    "the boys hate each other"
    synonyms:
    loathe, detest, dislike greatly, abhor, abominate, despise, execrate, feel aversion towards, feel revulsion towards, feel hostile towards, be repelled by, be revolted by, regard with disgust, not be able to bear/stand, be unable to stomach, find intolerable, shudder at, recoil from, shrink from;
    More
    informalhate someone's guts;
    raredisrelish
    "the boys hate each other"
    antonyms:
    love, like
    • have a strong aversion to (something).
      "he hates flying"
    • used politely to express one's regret or embarrassment at doing something.
      "I hate to bother you"
      synonyms:
      be sorry, be reluctant, be loath, be unwilling, be disinclined;
      More
      regret, dislike, not like, hesitate
      "I hate to bother you"
    • informal
      express strong dislike for; criticize or abuse.
      "I can't hate on them for trying something new"
noun
noun: hate
  1. 1.
    intense dislike.
    "feelings of hate and revenge"
    synonyms:
    loathing, hatred, detestation, dislike, distaste, abhorrence, abomination, execration, resentment, aversion, hostility, ill will, ill feeling, bad feeling;
    More
    enmity, animosity, antagonism, antipathy, bitterness, animus, revulsion, disgust, contempt, repugnance, odium, rancour;
    raredisrelish
    "feelings of hate and revenge"
    antonyms:
    love, liking
    • denoting hostile actions motivated by intense dislike or prejudice.
      modifier noun: hate
      "a hate campaign"
    • informal
      an intensely disliked person or thing.
      plural noun: hates
      "Richard's pet hate is filling in his tax returns"
      synonyms:
      bugbear, bane, bogey, bugaboo, pet aversion, thorn in one's flesh/side, bane of one's life;
      bête noire
      "Richard's pet hate is filling in his tax returns"
      antonyms:
      favourite thing

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple.
Luke 14:26
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@disgusted
What does hate mean?

Typical .

What's your point? You have asked a question, then provide the definition that answers your own question. 

Luke 14:26

Is about putting everyone and everything second to god/ the Christ and not a literal "hate" of anyone as proven by the fact that The Christ tells "honour thy mother and they father" - love thy neighbour" -  "suffer the children unto me" etc etc. In other words it is idiomatic. 

You really believe that you had stumbled on a 'gotcha' moment didn't you. LOL 

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Stephen
So your response is that hate doesn't mean hate and you think that's proven by Jesus contradicting himself elsewhere. Yeah that makes apologist sense but no other sense.
I gave you the definition of hate and you think it means something else, woo hoo
Stephen
Stephen
So your response is that hate doesn't mean hate and you think that's proven by Jesus contradicting himself elsewhere. Yeah that makes apologist sense but no other sense. 

You just cannot help being unhinged can you. Look up the word idiomatic, plankton. Then try your level best to add 2+2 , it should  all fall into place for you, but I doubt it.

Here is a fk clue that even a plankton should understand.

In Genesis 29:31 it is said that Jacob “hated” his wife Leah, and yet, the context makes it very clear that he merely loved his other wife Rachel

"more than"  ( that is to say ) above Leah.

Here endeth the lesson.

What a stupid and retarded way to start a thread: ask an question then answer it. FFS.

If I asked you to define dog, you would more than likely reply  ' not a cat ' such is your limited understanding of four-legged mammals or anything else.

Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
Though not authoritative this dictionary is sometimes useful for its for biblical citations, its relevance in American law, and its thorough definitions. 

HATE, verb transitive [Latin odi, for hodi.]
1. To dislike greatly; to have a great aversion to. It expresses less than abhor, detest, and abominate, unless pronounced with a peculiar emphasis.
How long will fools hate knowledge? Proverbs 1:22.
Blessed are ye when men shall hate you. Luke 6:22.
The Roman tyrant was contented to be hated, if he was but feared.

2. In Scripture, it signifies to love less.
If any man come to me, and hate not father and mother, etc. Luke 14:26.
He that spareth the rod, hateth his son. Proverbs 13:24.

HATE, noun Great dislike or aversion; hatred.

Snoopy
Snoopy
Jesus isn't literally saying "Hate thy neighbor".  It's more like what you would expect from the strong language in context of a family member.

Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@disgusted
Christ spoke in riddles and mysterious sayings, to confound the listener and accomplish His good purpose. Similarly, He said "Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in yourselves." Many turned away from Him, for it was a hard saying, but only those whose hearts earnestly yearned for God staid behind and continued to follow Him, and unto these the hidden meaning of His words became known in due time.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@Snoopy
2. In Scripture it signifies to love less.

Yes. 

ludofl3x
ludofl3x
-->
@Swagnarok
Christ spoke in riddles and mysterious sayings, to confound the listener and accomplish His good purpose.

Why would this be the best way to communicate such an important message that was supposed to be timeless? 
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Stephen
What a stupid and retarded way to start a thread: ask an question then answer it. FFS.
I did it for you but it didn't work, your indoctrination is a far greater force than what passes for your intellect. LOL
I can't find where idiomatic relates to a words definition not being the definition of that word.
Are you claiming that Jesus was lying when he made that declaration? Do you have a copy of that declaration that doesn't use the word hate?
What does hate mean?

In Genesis 29:31 it is said that Jacob “hated” his wife Leah, and yet, the context makes it very clear that he merely loved his other wife Rachel

"more than"  ( that is to say ) above Leah.
If you want to discuss this passage then start a thread, this one is taken.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Snoopy
No thinking person accepts pathetic apologetics, only godists do. Apologetics are synonymous with lies.

2. In Scripture, it signifies to love less.
What a load of CRAP.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Snoopy
Show me where he says that. Your lies are easily refuted, just like Stevie wonders.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Swagnarok
What does hate mean?
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Stephen
hahahahahahaha
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@disgusted
Show me where he says that. Your lies are easily refuted, just like Stevie wonders.
Since you've accused me of lying, I can't really speak with you in good faith.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Snoopy
Your failure to supply your "evidence" is proof. Run away like all good godists do.
Only dishonest godists claim that lies are in good faith.
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@disgusted
My last statement is reasonable, and it's appropriate to point out that you should question whether your "proof" may be a result of confirmation bias.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Snoopy
So you don't believe the word of god, how droll.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@disgusted
I can't find where idiomatic relates to a words definition not being the definition of that word.

Hahahahhahah, why doesn't that surprise me.  I have even explained it to you. So, you either honestly do not understand, or you are purposefully ignoring the explanation. I believe it to be the former.

I don't care if you don't accept the explanation or that you will not accept any explanation. But that is what the Luke 14:26 "hate" means. 

pathetic apologetics,

I am far from an apologist for any religion and my forum record is testament to that fact. You don't accept the explanation, fair enough, I don't care, I am not here to defend fk religion, the bible or christianity.  But I do admire tenacity for the right reasons, so do keep trying. This thread, even after its silly introduction may turn out to be your best ever effort yet at attacking what it is that Christians actually have faith in instead of attacking Christians simply for having a belief and a faith. Good boy. This should turn out to be e very interesting thread.
BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Stephen

Stephen,

Regarding your ignorant apologetic spin on your post #2 relative to the word "HATE," you are completely WRONG, again, and why are we not surprised?!  In being a TRUE Christian, we have to accept the biblical fact that Jesus used the word HATE correctly in Luke 14:26, as explicitly shown below. Therefore, you mentioning that the word used is idiomatic, falls flat on its proverbial face.

“If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple." (Luke 14:26)

Strong's Biblical Concordance with Hebrew and Greek Lexicon

Transliteration: miseō
Pronunciation: mē-se'-ō (Key)
Part of Speech: verb
Root Word (Etymology) From a primary misos (hatred)

Outline of Biblical Usage:
  1. to hate, pursue with hatred, detest
  2. to be hated, detested
Strong’s Definitions:
μισέω miséō, mis-eh'-o; from a primary μῖσος mîsos (hatred); to detest (especially to persecute); by extension, to love less:—hate(-ful).

Stephen, maybe you would be more comfortable with your biblical ignorance at a Christian Children's forum instead of DebateArt, yes?

Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@disgusted
So you don't believe the word of god, how droll.
I think this is the funniest thing I've ever seen from you.  

I realize that people give you a hard time often enough, so I'll say I don't mean to scoff as others do in this forum.  From what I have seen, your material tends to have a certain focus to it, and the centrality of God's word to your express amusement is so faithfully conveyed in that reaction. 

Stephen
Stephen
Stephen, maybe you would be more comfortable with your biblical ignorance at a Christian Children's forum instead of DebateArt. 

Says the man who doesn't know his Ark from his Arse
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Stephen
You gave no explanation. What does the word hate mean. Is your Jesus god really stupid and also doesn't know what words mean?
Your reading comprehension is still a great big fail. I only ever attack religious beliefs and you are always there to defend them. Off ya go now.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Snoopy
I realize that people give you a hard time often enough
Oh really, I hadn't noticed amongst all the comedy.

BrotherDThomas
Debates: 2
BrotherDThomas
-->
@Stephen

Stephen,

Why are you running away from your bible ignorance relative to Luke 14:26 that I have shown?  Do you actually think that we don't see you running as fast as you can with your non sequitur excuse?  Or, is it you can't address my post and remain intelligent looking in the aftermath? Which is it, FAKE Christian?

Whats your next lame excuse going to be for running away from my post #20 ???

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@disgusted
Is your Jesus god really stupid and also doesn't know what words mean?

I don't have a Jesus god, . plankton.

I am sticking to what I have wrote. But it seems, surprisingly, that you have an ally in BrotherDThomas , he agrees with you totally, doesn't he. So now is all he has to do is explain the fkn contradictions that Lukes verse raises if we are to take it literally.

Ok, the floor is yours BrotherD.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@BrotherDThomas
remain intelligent looking
You shouldn't go there.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Stephen
Your brother hasn't addressed the thread, I believe he's blithering at you.
Stephen
Stephen
Why are you running away from your bible ignorance relative to Luke 14:26 that I have shown? 

I am not running away . I just don't don't agree with your explanation you clown. I have nothing to defend here. I have no horse in this race, you seem to be forgetting that. I have gave my opinion, you either accept it or you don't, I don't fkn care.

It would be nice of you now though to explain away the glaring contradictions that Lukes 14:26 raises now that you insist that the word "hate" 
HAS TO BE taken literally. or are you going to ignore that fact.

Stephen
Stephen
-->
@disgusted
Your brother hasn't addressed the thread

If you mean brotherD, it seems he is in total agreement with you plankton, but I suppose you didn't realise that did you.