Why do you believe in God?

Author: TheAtheist

Total: 393
TheAtheist
Debates: 36
TheAtheist
I myself am an atheist, but I'm always open to new ideas and make sure to listen to the opposing side. There are a lot of people who consider themselves religious, and I'm curious: what reasons to they have for believing in a deity? This isn't really a place for arguing, I just want to hear from different people and maybe perhaps even change my mind about God. It's hard for me to find someone in real life with whom I can talk about religion,  but this website has a lot of smart people who are theists and I would love to hear from them.
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@TheAtheist
Personal experiences.also the solar system looks designed
EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@TheAtheist
Well there's lots of answers to that question. Usually a Theist has multiple reasons or justifications for believing in a Creator rather than a single reason ranging from obvious to vague and I would say that cross referencing plays a huge role in strengthening a position or belief. Since spirituality is of a different nature (as opposed to physical sense perception) and transcends the physical/material experience cross examination is very important. All that really means is that one can support or cross reference what they think they observed with another source that is congruent with that nature. These sources can be found in a wide range of references including literature, religion, spirituality, NDE's, OBE's, soul travel and personal encounters AKA spiritual experiences.

This is actually the cool thing about Theism is that it's built over a period of time. Spirituality is a progression so it's a cultivation, that means at no time does a person have every reason to believe and also at no time is there just a single reason. It's a culmination of intuition, personal experience, cross referencing, application and observation. It starts with a persons natural observation of the world, their curiosity of what they see, the understanding of a deeper reality, the natural intuition that they are not just a physical body ect ect….then comes the interest and study of that nature, what things mean, how they work, what makes sense and what doesn't...what is all this about??

Believe it or not all these things can be answered and experienced, spirituality is an objective reality not a subjective one. All that really means is that a persons personal opinions and feelings are irrelevant to what actually exists. In this case there's an obvious objective reality beyond the physical sense perception.
It's hard for me to find someone in real life with whom I can talk about religion

Lets give it a try, let me know what you would like to discuss. 
janesix
janesix
-->
@EtrnlVw
I am still unsure of what you mean by "application".
disgusted
disgusted
Believe it or not all these things can be answered
By just accepting your mortality. When you die there is no more anything. Game over.

janesix
janesix
-->
@disgusted
Prove it.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@janesix
I have 3.5 billion years of evidence, what do you have other than fantasies.
janesix
janesix
-->
@disgusted
What evidence, specifically? You are being vague.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@janesix
I am still unsure of what you mean by "application".
Application of principles, practices and discipline that produce results. I just call them spiritual principles, these range from simple to complex, just things for the individual to practice to help them transcend or connect with that reality.

janesix
janesix
-->
@EtrnlVw
Can you give me an example of a spiritual principle and it's application.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@janesix
Can you give me an example of a spiritual principle and it's application.

Sure, I'll give you a real simple example. These can apply many ways, it can be physical, mental, emotional or spiritual...just things you would apply to yourself in either of those ways. 
Most people are familiar with the Bible so here is a good example. 

Matthew 6
33But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Here's another one...
Romans 8
For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. For to be [b]carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. Because the [c]carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@janesix
Principle meaning this....

"is a proposition or value that is a guide for behavior or evaluation. In law, it is a rule that has to be or usually is to be followed, or can be desirably followed, or is an inevitable consequence of something, such as the laws observed in nature or the way that a system is constructed. The principles of such a system are understood by its users as the essential characteristics of the system, or reflecting system's designed purpose, and the effective operation or use of which would be impossible if any one of the principles was to be ignored."

janesix
janesix
-->
@EtrnlVw
Do you think the world would be a better place of societies followed the laws of nature?and what if parts of those laws were numerical?for instance, what if we created our buildings in accordance to natural numeric harmonic laws?
3RU7AL
Debates: 3
3RU7AL
-->
@janesix
It's more of an overwhelming LACK of evidence.

All versions of an afterlife are INDISTINGUISHABLE from pure fantasy.
TheAtheist
Debates: 36
TheAtheist
Guys, guys, what are you doing here? I made this topic for theists to explain to us why they believe in God. This isn't about whether theism is valid or whether there is evidence that God exists. Only post what is relevant to the topic: "why do you believe in God?"
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@janesix
@3RU7AL
@TheAtheist
@janesix:

He has that which he assumes/believes is "3.5 billion" years of "evidence."

@3RU7AL:

That's logically fallacious reasoning. "Lack" of evidence is not proof regardless of how you disguise it in these semantic stunts.

@TheAtheist:

Why do I believe a deity, specifically God, exists? Because I can. Like most modern atheists, I presume you subscribe to a strict materialist description of reality. The irony is, the fundamental concepts of the physical sciences are based on abstracts, namely mathematics. I'll take an atheist's/materialist's reasoning seriously when one can prove that the number two exists in accordance to their standards, i.e. has observable evidence of its material composition. Or, in other words, the number two isn't a "pure fantasy."

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@TheAtheist
...whether there is evidence that God exists.
Spinoza wrote an indisputable proof of god in 1665. [LINK]
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
That's logically fallacious reasoning. "Lack" of evidence is not proof regardless of how you disguise it in these semantic stunts. 
LACK of evidence is not proof of an afterlife.

LACK of evidence is not proof of bigfoot.

LACK of evidence is not proof of space aliens.

LACK of evidence is not proof of a teapot in solar orbit between Earth and Mars.

In order to justifiably BELIEVE something, you must have Quantifiable positive evidence or a logically rigorous proof.

Otherwise your OPINIONS are INDISTINGUISHABLE from pure fantasy.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@janesix
All evidence as I have told you. You provide anything that exists and it will prove my contention.
Go on nominate anything at all, nominate grass and grass dies, my contention proved.
Choose anything you like and it will be evidence of my contention, go on choose something that doesn't support my contention and I don't allow imagination.
janesix
janesix
-->
@disgusted
Bodies die. You are not "only" your body.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@janesix
Prove it. hahahahaha
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@disgusted
DIS-Prove it. hahahahaha
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@3RU7AL
Dinosaurs.
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
LACK of evidence is not proof of an afterlife.

LACK of evidence is not proof of bigfoot.

LACK of evidence is not proof of space aliens.

LACK of evidence is not proof of a teapot in solar orbit between Earth and Mars.
Pure sophistry. Regurgitating converse arguments as if anyone here but you proposed that the "lack" of anything substantiated an argument is not just inept but also demonstrative of your "lack" of understanding of your own statement:

In order to justifiably BELIEVE something, you must have Quantifiable positive evidence or a logically rigorous proof
That's fine for you. Whether you qualify it with "justifiable" makes no difference.

disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Athias
Pure sophistry. Regurgitating converse arguments as if anyone here but you proposed that the "lack" of anything substantiated an argument is not just inept but also demonstrative of your "lack" of understanding of your own statem
Can I have fries with that?

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Pure sophistry. Regurgitating converse arguments as if anyone here but you proposed that the "lack" of anything substantiated an argument is not just inept but also demonstrative of your "lack" of understanding of your own statement:
Would it be fair to say you believe, "you can't disprove an afterlife, therefore it might be (or probably is) real"?
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL
Would it be fair to say you believe, "you can't disprove an afterlife, therefore it might be (or probably is) real"?

Don't project your fallacious logic in some non sequitur. Fallacious logic is fallacious logic even when the argument is inverted. But, I already know where you're headed with this, so if you seek to know that which is fair to state about my beliefs, I've already said it, "Why do I believe a deity, specifically God, exists? Because I can." That is my basis, rationale, and justification.

3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
Don't project your fallacious logic in some non sequitur. Fallacious logic is fallacious logic even when the argument is inverted. But, I already know where you're headed with this, so if you seek to know that which is fair to state about my beliefs, I've already said it, "Why do I believe a deity, specifically God, exists? Because I can." That is my basis, rationale, and justification. 
I see, you prefer naked assertion.  Thanks for clearing that up.
Athias
Athias
-->
@3RU7AL

It's not a "naked assertion." it requires no more proof than my mere statement.
3RU7AL
3RU7AL
-->
@Athias
It's not a "naked assertion." it requires no more proof than my mere statement.
"Mere Statement" = "Naked Assertion"