Would you hire a schizophrenic

Author: janesix

Total: 8
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
Why or why not?

I have been thinking about getting a job for the last few months. I haven't been hospitalized for the last two years. I think I could handle a job now. I have learned coping skills in therapy,and I'm doing pretty good.

Thing is, while I don't have to disclose that I am schizophrenic, i plan to because I don't want it to come as a surprise if I am symptomatic or have to take time off work, have a hospitalization etc. I also want an employer to understand my limitations, like I don't want to deal with customers. I also haven't worked in ten years or so, and I need to explain the gap in my work history. 

I am just afraid no one will hire me the second they hear I am schizophrenic. I think I will probably have to apply for a lot of jobs before someone will hire me. I have other things stacked against me as well, such as I dropped out of high school, and have a sketchy work history(like walking out of several jobs, and never staying at a job for long).

My plan is to just apply for many jobs,and hope for the best. I could go through a jobs rehabilitation program at my mental health center, it might help. 

Any advice would be appreciated.
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
Here's how I would go about it:

Start off by describing a "condition" you have. Lay out exactly what it entails, and what it doesn't entail. And THEN tell them the name of said condition. If they just hear schizophrenia right off the bat, well, some really extreme preconceived notions will come to mind. Like, that you have multiple personalities or whatever. At that point it'll be hard to win them over.

Start with something simple like a fast food job. Hold down a job like that for, say, half a year and do the best you can to not give off "unstable, possibly trigger happy" person vibes. Afterwards, apply for something a little better and have your previous boss vouch for your sanity and reliability.

(And to answer your question, I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility. But I wouldn't if it seemed that said applicant would probably pose more of a liability than an asset.)
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
Don't do what Swag said. Keep your condition to yourself. They can't  punish you (legally) for taking off if your condition requires it. You most likely qualify for disability anyway, so go after that and work on building a business with all you free time created by getting a regular check with no need to attend work
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@Wylted
I am sort of doing that already. I am on disability, and looking into making money from art. The only thing is is I kind of suck at drawing and painting,and I doubt anyone will buy anything of mine. 
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@janesix
That's because there is no money in art usually. Just live off the government while honing your craft. Treat art like a job. Art will suck like a job if you treat it this way, but if you love art enough you will do it until you hate it and make a living that way. While you are honing your craft work on building your 1000 true fans (Google it). Actually since you get subsidized by the government you can get away with significantly less true fans. Also be sure to vote Republican. Don't sell out America just because you benefit from a specific liberal policy and pursue a path that usually Democrats pursue in art. You won't lose your benefits just because you support policies that improve America. Do your art my nigga

145 days later

Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@janesix
I don't know enough about schizophrenic people to give an adequate answer.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Alec
The answer should be a no brainer really.

No pun intended.
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@zedvictor4
The answer should be a no brainer really.
Do a search and I think that what we will find, is that;

..1} most of those people that have medications that work for them, and they stay on it can do some level of menial work,

...2} if the people who have mental issues acknowledge they have such an issue, is half-way to sanity ergo,

....3} I have kinda of younger person I know --as well as his parents--  that finally acknowledged he had some mental issues, and he went on medicine for it, and now my wife hires him to some menial jobs for her outside of the house ex gradening and lawn work. His has his fathers green thumb.

I have another friend who has been on many differrent drugs for this issue, for 40 years, and he stuck a knife in his stomach about three years ago.  He told me on phone that he thought is was correct thing to do at time.

He could probably do menial work, but his letters to me were barely ledgible for many years, but a few years ago became legible, yet he keeps restating the same ole stuff over and over;

do you go to church,

I dont watch tv,

Trump is evil,

do yo listen to music,

then always list the same list favorite music he likes. Sad.

When we were young, his family always stated that, he was like me, in that he was more moody than their other children.

Unlike him, I did various substances --including drug induced psychosis twice --- and also unlike him I did not go out and cut down an electric pole supplying electricity to his or my families home. YIKES!

He became very anti-technology and I always felt I was some of that influence on him.  It was a time when many youth wanted to get out of the cities and get back in touch with nature.  How many youth like to run barefoot into their late teenage years and 20's.

I recall my running barefoot on sidewalk for about 2 miles, once, when I was about 20.  I think I backed way off barefoot after I did that.