What's up with all the mass shootings & terrorism in USA?

Author: Yassine

Total: 109
Yassine
Debates: 3
Yassine
- Some 250 mass shootings so far in 2019, that's almost one mass shooting per day. Yesterday, a white-nationalist terrorist opened fire on Hispanics in El Paso after posting his manifesto online ; 12 hours later a second mass shooting occurs in Dayton, Ohio. Authorities brush these off as "mental health" cases, but clearly there is much more to it than that.

Comment.
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
There's not really all that much to comment about really. I think it's mostly agreed that having an extreme amount of guns in the country, having weak gun control laws and to some extent ingrained gun culture are the usual culprits for excessive gun violence in the US. The only thing which is in dispute is an effective solution.

Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
-->
@dustryder
That's no where near agreed.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Yassine
Many define four casualties as "mass shooting" That's not amass shooting. It's a small group shooting. 

One thing also to consider is the US population is very large. If adjusted per capita, you'll notice that Australia, acountry that literally banned all guns, is second, waaaaaay ahead of the U.S. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Mharman
Are you reading the data wrong.
In this link:

The United States has a total of (including homicide, suicide, unintentional and undetermined) 12.21 per 100,000 whereas Australia has 1.04 per 100,000. There is a massive difference there. 

If you were talking about just guns the United States as 120.05 guns per 100,000 whereas Australia 13.70 guns per 100,000. 

Can you clarify what you said in your earlier comment?
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@TheRealNihilist
ok I read that wrong. That doesn't mean guns should be banned though.
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Mharman
ok I read that wrong.
Do you not see that as a problem? You instinctively thought the data would support your worldview instead of seeing the data without your biases. Of course it is difficult to remove all biases but you sure you are doing your best to eliminate as much when trying to look at data fairly?
That doesn't mean guns should be banned though.
Why not?
disgusted
Debates: 0
disgusted
-->
@Mharman
My 2 amendment allows me to kill everyone.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Do you not see that as a problem? You instinctively thought the data would support your worldview instead of seeing the data without your biases. Of course it is difficult to remove all biases but you sure you are doing your best to eliminate as much when trying to look at data fairly
That's not what I did. I just read the list from top to bottom, not realizing it was in alphabetical order.

Mharman
Mharman
-->
@disgusted
That's not what the 2nd Amendment was for...
TheRealNihilist
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Mharman
That's not what I did. I just read the list from top to bottom, not realizing it was in alphabetical order.
Why did you state something when you didn't check if you interpreted it in a good way?

That doesn't mean guns should be banned though.
Why not?

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Mharman
ok I read that wrong. That doesn't mean guns should be banned though.
It means this recaist immoral USA presdient should be banned!

First from this low life it was Obama is not a USA citizen,

Then the low life insinuates that all mexicans are rapist and crimminals.

And the list goes on and on of the immoral rhetoric y this immoral, narcissistic sick-in-the-hea  USA president and his cultist followers.

USA has a lot of Trumps type and much worse.  They all have a drive to hate and kill people of any color or religion that does align with their narrow mind set.  

USA is headed for only more of these type of terroism and that will lead to more guns in hands of people who want to fight back.

These idiots of USA and humanity cant grasp the idea of preventive measures to begin with.  This ASS Forwards into the future constantly bumping our butts into things that only hurt us, and increasingly more and more.

Read my lips/text do you understand the word stupidity? How about moron or idiot? Seriously, how dumb will humanity allow itself to become before it pushes itself over the cliff?

Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@dustryder
There's not really all that much to comment about really. I think it's mostly agreed that having an extreme amount of guns in the country, having weak gun control laws and to some extent ingrained gun culture are the usual culprits for excessive gun violence in the US. The only thing which is in dispute is an effective solution.

The foreign idea of America having no gun laws is generally born out of an ignorant view of our relationship with a limited federal government, when in reality this being a social issue, the vast majority of politics are held at the state level, and we do have states that are comparable with less liberal ideology associated with other countries.  States with strict gun control laws are still experiencing these mass shootings, and the "extreme amount of guns in the country" is not widely seen as a contributing factor, since a fair amount of the American populous are informed that the guns are not particularly widely dispersed in comparison with other countries that experience less mass shootings.  A small amount of people accumul post #2 ate more of them over the course of their lifetime.  "Gun culture" is an idiotic statement with no real meaning, which isn't descriptive of any particular relationship a localized culture may tend to perceive with firearms.  The countries with lower tendencies for all manner of gun violence tend to have been that way for the last hundred years when their laws were comparable to the states with more liberal laws as it pertains to firearm ownership.

Everything in post #2 is either ambiguous or factually incorrect.  
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Snoopy
The culprit is always, universally, a human being.

Thats true, I cant recall the last time I saw any less complex animal shooting one or more people at a mall parking lot, concert etc.

Gun culture that glorifys the later 1800's.  John Wayne, Ronald Regain, Randolf Scott, John Ford, Gene Autry { the singing cowboy }, The  Lone Ranger,  Roy Rogers. i.e. I think you missed the whole western movies popularity in 50's and 60's.

Ex Clint Eastwood in Good{ white male loner sharpshooter }, Bad { white male with beady { foreign } eyes }, Ugly { dirty  immoral hispani }.

USA is moving more and more twowards open hand side arm on every hip and in your purse.  It is stupidity at its worse.  Oh no wait, the nuclear arms race { M.A.Destruction } prior to 1990s was stupidity at its worst.

And who is getting caught in the middle, local law enforcement.

Who was it that stated stupid is as stupid does? Oh yeah it was funny who lived around the corner, Forest Gump.

I would rather my child be named Gumpy { slow } instead of Trumpy { racist }.

My Gumpy may be slow  but he is not immoral narcissistic, bigoted racist. Thank God or whomever

Snoopy
Snoopy
Edited

The foreign idea of America having no gun laws is generally born out of an ignorant view of our relationship with a limited federal government, when in reality this being a social issue, the vast majority of politics are held at the state level, and we do have states that are comparable with less liberal ideology associated with other countries.  States with strict gun control laws are still experiencing these mass shootings, and the "extreme amount of guns in the country" is not widely seen as a contributing factor, since a fair amount of the American populous are informed that the guns are not particularly widely dispersed in comparison with other countries that experience less mass shootings.  A small amount of people accumulate more of them over the course of their lifetime.  "Gun culture" is an idiotic statement with no real meaning, which isn't descriptive of any particular relationship a localized culture may tend to perceive with firearms.  The countries with lower tendencies for all manner of gun violence tend to have been that way for the last hundred years when their laws were comparable to the states with more liberal laws as it pertains to firearm ownership.

Everything in post #2 is either ambiguous or factually incorrect.

ebuc
ebuc

Edited: Thats true, I cant recall the last time I saw any less complex animal shooting, bombing or driving a vehicle over one or more people at a mall parking lot, concert etc.

To some the obvious answer is more guns in hands of more people along with:

more body armor......ma, get your body armor on before you go shopping at the mall.

more explosive bullets.......pa, pick up  a pack of those new hollow point body armor piercing bullets

gadgets that will disable vehicles------ma, get one of those new vehicle disabling electronic gadgets

guide to hateful speech channels..........pa, purchase one of those guide to latest hate speech channels

electronic specific targeting handgrenades........ma, buy a a few of those electronic handgrenades

Top ten best selling movies by genre LINK

1} adventure....are there adventure movies without gun/weapons violence?

4} comedy....and what percentage of those also involve gun/wepaons violence?

9) documentary...........what percentage of those involve gun/weapons violence?

Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@David
@bsh1
@Ramshutu
ebuc is mustardness.  Like if you agree.  Mods should ban him for multi accounting.
Alec
Alec
A good way to reduce mass shootings is for the media to not report on them because they cause sickos that are rare to want to emulate them.  If there is no mass shooting that is reported on, there would be less role models for the sick would be shooters to emulate, making the tragedies more rare.
Alec
Alec
-->
@Yassine
Most shootings happen in cities.

janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
Mass shootings are just a symptom of human nature. Has nothing to do with guns. Humans kill each other, been doing it for 200,000 years or more. 
Snoopy
Snoopy
-->
@ebuc
Additionally I suppose obsession with identity and identity politics may be linked to a breakdown of genuine community/family values, the lone wolf attacks charactaristic of the present situation inspired by a combination of contributing factors.  We also have less overt organizations dedicated to confronting and terrorizing groups that threaten people in the social order than we did from the 1860's through the 1960's. 

Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
-->
@Yassine
Some 250 mass shootings so far in 2019

The first issue is that the phrase 'mass shootings' is pretty loosely defined as any incident where more than 4 people are shot and at least wounded, which on the surface doesnt seem loosely defined but is warped when you are combining both horrible attacks like the two that took place yesterday in addition to gang violence and family incidents in urban areas which is far more the norm. 

If you look at a list of 'mass shootings' in 2019, there are only 10 instances of mass shootings where more than 5 people died. Of those 10, one was a bank robbery gone bad in Florida, Another was a hostage situation that ended badly in San Jose, One was some family murder/suicide in Texas, and one was a guy in Louisiana killing off his own family and people he had relations with. 

If you look at the number of 'mass shootings' where a gunman tried to indiscriminately kill as many people as he could before being killed themselves or surrendering, which is the type of thing people think of when asked to define a 'mass shooting' then there have only been 7 cases this year....

If you look at the list based on how many people were wounded in mass shooting events, the vast majority of scenarios where more than 5 people were wounded resulted in only 1 if any deaths at all. 

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Yassine
Now... liberals are going to call republicans murders and at fault, and republicans are going to call liberals ignorant and stupid... and, another person watching it all unfolded is going to get pissed off enough to shoot people again... and let the cycle repeat. At least, that's one cause in my opinion. Add in a bunch more, it's a society problem as a whole... we are ignorant and regressing into animals again bc we don't know the true predators stalking us in the shadows... so we blame each other.   
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Mharman
I mean.. do you have your own ideas on the prevalence of mass shootings in the US apart from erroneously interpreting stats and redefining established terms?
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
The shooter was most certainly an unstable person to begin with, looking for any excuse to do some "big" thing like this. Because the logic behind his actions make little sense.
If Latin-Americans are already a demographic majority in many Southwestern states, then in attacking them wouldn't you merely accomplish the effect of radicalizing the local majority against the local white minority? What good does that do?I

There are thousands of "mini-philosophers" out there, each with little to nothing in way of a unique contribution to the discussion. But they all want recognition in the wider society, because they see themselves wrongly as great artists entitled to esteem for their works. At the end of the day they're narcissists and second-rate people. Therefore they publish longwinded manifestos, and view these shootings as a way of drawing attention to such, and therefore to their own perceived brilliance.
It's a loser's way of going about things. Instead of working hard and earning the acknowledgement of their peers, they demand instant gratification without sacrifice.
ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Swagnarok
The shooter was most certainly an unstable person to begin with, looking for any excuse to do some "big" thing like this. Because the logic behind his actions make little sense.
Yeah so a little push from a friend ---or president of USA--- is all he needed to pull the trigger. USA has some sad immoral people to vote for the immoral, narrrcisitic pychotic, racist and bigoted Trump.

So add in Moscow Mitch and Putin and we now have  white national supremacy in white house. Go figure.

Some people want apocalypse to arrive sooner rather than later and Trump is excellent candidate for apocalypse  on Earth Moon or Mars. Dude is sick-n-the-head as I presume most of his cult followers are.

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@dustryder
A really large unreported problem in the USA is the collapse of the nuclear family and the rise of absentee parenting. This isn't just a problem affecting minorities as there is a 70% chance if you are a baby born with melanin that you will grow up in a culture of a fatherless household.
20 million American kids of all backgrounds and cultures have no father as I write this.

Couple that with the other slightly lesser problem of the meteoric rise of race-baiting in a climate of competing cultures, and it encourages violence in an otherwise prosperous country with more 1st world problems than any other nation on the planet.

Guns have always been prevalent in the USA for hundreds of years, but these mass shootings and gun violence are relatively new observations in the long history of the USA. Despite what Hollywood would have you believe, it was historically extremely rare to die from a gun in the "wild west."
dustryder
dustryder
-->
@Greyparrot
Guns have always been prevalent in the USA for hundreds of years, but these mass shootings and gun violence are relatively new observations in the long history of the USA. Despite what Hollywood would have you believe, it was historically extremely rare to die from a gun in the "wild west."
Are they relatively new observations or are they relatively new reported observations? What was the news like back in the wild-west? Would guns of that era have even been reliable enough and/or fast enough and/or deadly enough to consistently commit gun violence/mass shootings? How prevalent were guns in those eras really in comparison to today and what was their distribution like between city to rural folk? 

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you need more than saying there were guns now and guns before but only mass shootings/gun violence now. It's somewhat similar to the so called autism epidemic where the true cause for the uptick in diagnoses is broader definitions and better detection.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Yassine
Your a Muslim, you cant talk about this without acknowledging your people
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
Banning guns is not the solution