Using books as sources in debates

Author: janesix

Total: 8
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
Can we use books as sources in a debate? I am wondering, because i want to use several books I own as sources, but I know other people probably don't own them, and can't check. I can't find the same information online. 
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@janesix
You can use them, but I would consider it a valid objection if you opponent complained that they couldn't access the information.
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@bsh1
Ok, that makes sense. 

I will attempt to use them in a way where my opponent can fact check (as in math).
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@janesix
Make sure there is a pdf online or the free version has the pages required for your point.

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
@omar

No, even a book you can't access without money is entitled to be sourced as is a scholarly article with the same restrictions. Some articles are very much the same.
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@janesix
If the information is available outside of the book, that will prove better for judges to evaluate. However if citing a book, I advise having the in text citation meet academic standards (tell us the author and book), but still provide a link to some source of information on the book (Sparknotes even).

Also citations alone are not arguments. They are usually valid appeals to authority in support of arguments, if you don't offer your own basic analysis even quoting Charles Darwin will lose a debate on evolution.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
say what page and give a link to the book description or website
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@janesix
above