OSB Mafia signups

Author: Discipulus_Didicit

Total: 28
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
This is the signups for OSBM, which will start after Warren's pokemon game is concluded.

What is OSBM?

Open Setup Bastard Mafia is just plain mafia, with a few elements that are unusual to the usual DDO/DART mafia culture.

Open setup - An open setup game means that I will reveal the game setup in full in the OP of DP1, but not which slots go with which players. For example I may say there is a doc and 6 vanillas versus a goon and a strong man but not which player is the doc or who the mafia are.

Bastard - The setup and game mechanics I have planned match one or more requirements to be considered 'bastard' as defined below:

The nature of these bastard mechanics will remain my secret until the start of DP1 but I will tell you now that I will not at any point lie to any players about anything. This means no hidden flavors to roles, no false roles, no dishonesty from me regarding the setup or special game mechanics, and I will not lie in response to Any question asked directly to me by a player (though I may choose not to answersome questions)

Signups

This game setup requires exactly 9 players and spots will be given on a first-come-first-serve basis, though anyone that wishes to may sign up as a replacement whether or not the nine slots are filled.

Signup list:

Replacements:

ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
/In
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
In 
Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
/IN.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
Signup list:

1. Pie
2. Wylted
3. Mharman

Replacements:

Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
/in
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
/in, please
warren42
warren42
/in
Cogent_Cognizer
Debates: 5
Cogent_Cognizer
So, I've played Mafia along with other spin-off games(i.e werewolf) in-person before. How exactly is this done on this forum though? I tried reading through the pinned posts about it and checking a few of the past ones, but I either didn't see or maybe I missed an explanation on that and the past ones don't seem to have the game going on, but rather some explanation after the game took place.

I'd be interested in joining most likely though. It depends on how you're executing playing the game though. 

warren42
warren42
-->
@Cogent_Cognizer
This is probably not the game to start with, but it isn't much different.

Cogent_Cognizer
Cogent_Cognizer
-->
@warren42
This is probably not the game to start with,

Maybe, but I feel inclined to disagree with that for me, personally. I mean, I've played versions of Werewolf with 100 different roles, many of them very complex. Also versions with rule changes. This version of Mafia seems tame in comparison to that complicated one I've played with literally dozens of people with more than 20 roles wherein some were very complex. I'm a fan of challenges anyways.

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Cogent_Cognizer
You should join!  Newbies tend to get exploited the first few games but that is part of the fun.

Here's some info:

VII. Mafia

Mafia is a game which is often played in the games forum of the site. All are free to participate (typically after going through a beginners' series). To explain a bit more about the game, in mafia there are usually two teams: the town and the mafia. The town group is the largest, but town players are not told the identities of other town players (townies). Mafia is the smallest group, but they typically know each other's identities and can communicate with each other.

The game is played in cycles, and each cycle is divided into two phases--a Day Phase and a Night Phase. In the day phase, players talk publicly about the game in an effort to determine who among them is mafia. Players may choose to eliminate ("lynch") a player by public vote during the DP. Town's goal is to remove all mafia from the game. In the night phase, mafia collectively decides on a townie to kill in an effort to become the majority of living players in the game.

While the game is more complex than this brief description can explain, it is a highly enjoyable activity and one I can personally recommend. If you're interested in mafia, please check out the games forum!

For more information about mafia and its rules and gameplay consult these links:

Cogent_Cognizer
Cogent_Cognizer
Ah, never mind, guess I just wasn't opening up the correct forum topics. So it looks like you do each night in a different forum topic? Hmm, I'm skeptical about how well this would work out purely in text(a lot of cues that someone is bluffing requires physically seeing them), but I'll be willing to try it out.

Cogent_Cognizer
Cogent_Cognizer
-->
@oromagi
Yeah, I had read that already. I was just not sure how this was being played, as in were we doing some sort of live videos of each of us? Or purely written in the forums? Looks like it's the latter, right?

warren42
warren42
-->
@Cogent_Cognizer
Days play out in a different forum topic. Nights play out via messages including your actions (if you have one) to the game moderator
Cogent_Cognizer
Cogent_Cognizer
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
So long as you're cool with it I'd like to sign up, even though I'm technically new to DART's mafia, I'm not new to Mafia and games like it in general as you may have read about above.

oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Cogent_Cognizer
yes all text.  I am such a terrible liar that I would be ineligible for live play.

If you're a diligent researcher there are hundreds of prior games to flip through on debate.org.  Bsh's beginner's series on that site might provide some informative examples.

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
Signup list:

1. Pie
2. Wylted
3. Mharman
4. Speed
5. Oromagi
6. Warren
7. Cogent

Replacements:

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Cogent_Cognizer
As long as you understand the basic concept behind the game itself fourm mafia is easy to get a hold of. I have added your name to the signups.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
hi

The value must contain from 3 to 5000 characters
oromagi
oromagi
o cum all ye losers
dumb but unrepentant
o cum ye you elephants of
ma ah fee uh

cum be emboldened cuz
greyparrot is play-ay-ying
he might again just shout out
his scum affiliation!
o cum and be emboldened!

Ma...  Ah....  Fee uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Club
Debates: 26
Club
/noob
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
We have our nine players. I will send out role PMs and begin DP1 soon.

Signups are not closed. Feel free to sign on as a potential replacement.
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
You choose the most boring colors...
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@bsh1
KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid.
oromagi
oromagi
You mean like

TEAM Clover
v.
TEAM Magenta
v.
TEAM Tangerine

?
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@bsh1
@oromagi
Well if we were going to go with more eccentric colors it would be foolish not to shove turquoise in there somewhere.

Might keep magenta though.
oromagi
oromagi
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Hard to kill a man in turquoise