If We Had No Math

Author: Paul

Total: 16
Paul
Debates: 0
Paul

If we had no math you would know all your children's names, but you wouldn't know how many you have. If we had no math not much would be possible. Nothing requiring numbers would exist. Pages in a book could not be numbered and the number of pages would be unknown. We could not measure anything and technology could not exist. When I think about it having no math seems utterly impossible.

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
wow
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
If you mean the 1-10 system, (denary counting) then that's solely a social construct because for some reason the humans found '5' easy to remember and chunk things by and they figured 5 was too small but 5*2 was a good amount to make the minimum amount before you go to the '10'.

If you mean mathematics in and of itself, you are correct but no more so than someone who says without language the very same thing would be true. In fact, language is more essential than mathematics if one wants to comprehend ideas or use the information that is garnered mathematically, in a creative and/or extensive way.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Paul
If you didn't know how many children you had, how would you know that they had different names?

The fact is, you would have an appreciation of number irrespective of math.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Paul
Math always exist, no matter the universe
Paul
Paul
-->
@zedvictor4
The fact is, you would have an appreciation of number irrespective of math.
Sure, but numbers are math no matter what you call them.

Paul
Paul
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Math always exist, no matter the universe

A lot of theoretical physicists believe that everything is made out of numbers.

Paul
Paul
-->
@RationalMadman

If you mean the 1-10 system, (denary counting) then that's solely a social construct because for some reason the humans found '5' easy to remember and chunk things by and they figured 5 was too small but 5*2 was a good amount to make the minimum amount before you go to the '10'.

If you mean mathematics in and of itself, you are correct but no more so than someone who says without language the very same thing would be true. In fact, language is more essential than mathematics if one wants to comprehend ideas or use the information that is garnered mathematically, in a creative and/or extensive way.

The 1-10 system? That would be the base ten system, but the base can be anything you want and it all still works just fine. The thing you are staring at right now uses the base two number system as well as base 16 and base 18 and when it adds two plus two it still equals four.

Paul
Paul
-->
@RationalMadman

Can you show that animals don't have a rudimentary understanding of numbers? Perhaps it's the other way around, maybe an understanding of numbers predates speech.

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Paul
Exactly
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Paul
Animals also have a rudimentary understanding of language, I have no idea what you mean by that statement in trying to prove me wrong.

The entire reply to my 'denary' comment failed to appreciate my post and how deeply I agreed with you and specified what it was I believed vs didn't believe regarding the necessity of mathematics vs how humans use mathematics (denary).

Asking if I mean 'base 10' is ridiculous when I just said 'denary' which is 'base 10'.
Paul
Paul
-->
@RationalMadman
If you think I'm trying to prove you wrong you are mistaken.
Paul
Paul
-->
@RationalMadman
Love your profile picture RationalMadman, what does it mean?

ebuc
ebuc
-->
@Paul
Metaphysical-1, mind/intellect/concepts ergo ego, and concepts of Space, God, Time, Math, Dogs, Waves, Balls. Universe etc

Minimal brainer for many humans over 18 years old.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ebuc
Dogs and Balls eh. 

Is that the Dogs Bollocks.

Or a load of bollocks.

Either way, I appreciate your sense of humour. LOL.
Paul
Paul
-->
@ebuc
Don’t get mad at me, you are the insane one!