Total: 67
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
I say it is. 

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
For Indian Hindus it generally is. For Sri Lankan Hindus and specifically South Indian Hindus, it generally is simply a lifestyle and they ignore a lot of the Vedas etc when preaching and learning about Hinduism, they also commonly eat meat and fish.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
no.
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Then why do they pray to Gods?
RoderickSpode
Debates: 0
RoderickSpode
-->
@janesix
Yes. It's considered one of the major religions of the world. No doubt, like Buddhism (another major world religion), some will claim it's not a religion, but a philosophy.
Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@janesix
I can with the highest degree of confidence say Hinduism is the only true religion which satisfies both the intellectual and spiritual needs of human societies. It has withstood the test of time and taught us passive resistance and dialogue can change the course of history without resorting to violence or reaching out for the sword. It has given us leaders like Mahatma Ghandi who liberated a nation without firing a single shot and Martin Luther King who took a shot but won the civil rights for African Americans. Both pursued passive and peaceful resistance, an approach that is the hallmark of Hinduism.

Christianity is a stolen religion from the Jews and remains fractured at the core with over 30,000 different denomintions of Christians. Was Jesus God or a deluded Jewish carpenter's son, was he an incarnate of arch angel Michael or simply an unemployed homeless wino who made wine from water to feed his addiction and convinced others to drink it too? Jesus proved that being filled with the spirited beverage can sometimes reveal what is often hidden in the subconscious. It brought out the liar in Peter and something more sinister in Judas who betrayed the wine maker by drawing attention to his messianic aspirations. The spirit that filled Jesus affected him differently. It turned into a death wish.

Islam is another world religion. It started with an illiterate Arab who claimed God singled him out to reveal his vision of the world. Unable to write the illiterate Arab recited to scribes what he heard which he had committed to memory. This formed the basis of the oral tradition followed by Muslims. It inspired generations of illiterates to follow the prophets example and listen to his revelations. There are 800 million illiterate Muslims out of 1.4 billion whose convictions are stronger than their understanding of their scriptures that they cannot and have not read. But that is equally matched by Christians whose faith substitute their own ignorance of their scriptures.

Hinduism is a religion that focuses on spirituality and personal development and is not dependent on a benevolent creator. The checks and balances are built into ones Karma (self accountability) and not dictated by some external force or being. The goal is enlightenment and the highest achievement is spiritual bliss which is the transcendental conquering of physical and material desires that are only distraction or insatiable illusions. One achieves Nirvana if successful and breaks away from the cycle of rebirths (Samsara). Or the process known as reincarnations is repeated according to ones Karma at each cycle

There is anecdotal evidence for this process of reincarnations from recollections of past lives experienced by many people. The scientific evidence is found in prodigies. People exhibiting incredible talents and abilities at very young ages that is only possible if they accumulated their skills in past lives and their current genius was the cumulative result.

Other scientific studies have measured the effects of spiritual activity in controlled groups such as Buddhist monks and Nuns and found not only how spirituality affects their brain activity with predictable patterns, but also how it affects the objects such as cancer patients. When these spiritualists concentrate on the wellbeing of the patients, studies have found a dramatic improvement in a high percentage of the controlled group.

I am a Vedantist and therefore a spiritualist. I have participated in scientific studies and have demonstrated many of the states such an unusual brain activity, control heartbeat and a enhanced sense of empathy. I can from a group of pictures empathize with the ones I identified as physically sick from some ailment, disturbed, low energy, poor aura, depressed, maleficent or mentally ill.

The only reason these studies  cannot be applied in practice is because of the draconian malpractice laws that are instituted by very powerful groups who have a vested interest in keeping research from interfering with their bottom line.

EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@janesix
They might not like to be labeled a religion because they don't have a western understanding of tribalism or favoritism, or a club mentality. The difference being that one needs to apply certain things to gain favoritism or gain entrance to some heaven or revelations, whereas Eastern philosophy focuses more on the mechanics rather than beliefs or dogma. One reason why I like Eastern philosophy is because their focus is more on understanding than dogma. The difference being that one has the ability to explain more, the other just has beliefs or rules. I like both actually, because while one can get you the understanding it doesn't get you to the applications. The Bible has some stupid things and some really great aspects. Because of duality you have both extremes, so on one end you have a real personal development with God. Jesus was the first and perhaps the only real Master who expressed the personal elements of God in a real way. Unfortunately it's been destroyed through the negativity of religion, because of the positive side of it, meaning the negative side of it is really bad because the beauty of it is amazing. You have to deal with that dual reality in Christianity. 
Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@EtrnlVw
--> @janesix

They might not like to be labeled a religion because they don't have a western understanding of tribalism or favoritism, or a club mentality. The difference being that one needs to apply certain things to gain favoritism or gain entrance to some heaven or revelations, whereas Eastern philosophy focuses more on the mechanics rather than beliefs or dogma. One reason why I like Eastern philosophy is because their focus is more on understanding than dogma. The difference being that one has the ability to explain more, the other just has beliefs or rules. I like both actually, because while one can get you the understanding it doesn't get you to the applications. The Bible has some stupid things and some really great aspects. Because of duality you have both extremes, so on one end you have areal personal development with God. Jesus was the first and perhaps the only real Master who expressed the personal elements of God in a real way. Unfortunately it's been destroyed through the negativity of religion, because of the positive side of it, meaning the negative side of it is really bad because the beauty of it is amazing.
Hinduism is also the oldest religion in the world.

Worldatlas. Com
1. Hinduism 2300 BCE
2. Judaism 640 BCE
3. Zoroastrianism 600 BCE
4. Buddhism 563 BCE
5. Confucianism 551 BCE
6. Jainism 527 BCE
7. Shinto 300 BCE
8. Christianity 1 CE
9. Taoism 142 CE
10. Islam 570 CE

Several major religions of the world like Christianity, Islam, And Buddhism are linked to a prominent spiritual leader or prophet who laid the framework of the faith. The origins of such religions are usually traced to the lifetime of these prophets. Hinduism is believed to have the oldest roots among all religions because it has no single founder. It simply existed before all the other religions

Harikrish biblical scholar and a spiritual leader.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Harikrish
I love Hinduism, which took me being open minded and realizing the truths about spirituality, the Creator and the soul. However that has no reflection on you, you are a very rotten person. Not only do you fail at spirituality but fail at representing the beauty and dynamics of Hinduism. Very sad indeed that you are running loose with that title. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Harikrish
I could represent Hinduism as a Christian better than you could ever being a born Hindu lol, hilarious you have no clue to the relationship between the individual and spirituality. Actually you are one of the biggest disappointments in all of religious forums. To have access to one of the most beautiful belief systems and yet represent it so poorly is very unfortunate. 
Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@EtrnlVw

I love Hinduism, which took me being open minded and realizing the truths about spirituality, the Creator and the soul. However that has no reflection on you, you are a very rotten person. Not only do you fail at spirituality but fail at representing the beauty and dynamics of Hinduism. Very sad indeed that you are running loose with that title.

People who look for affection and happiness on public forums must suffer from low self esteem. They are looking for love in all the wrong places. I am most happy when I share my scriptural and spiritual insights from years of study, meditation and living a pure life so my karma is rewarded even as I rise above the petty insults I encounter .
I am a Vedantist raised in the Vedantic tradition and trained in the reading of esoteric scriptures, Christian Theology and Islamic fundamentalism. What more could a spiritualist ask for than to be surrounded by scriptures and a platform to present it.

You wouldn't be discussing about the most spiritual spiritualist if any of the stuff you said were true. There is no ego but transcendental energy, force, enlightenment. My spiritual aura alone blinds my detractors much as I want to open their eyes to my spiritual wisdom.

I am not looking for chosen believers or those that denigrate the beliefs of others. I have challenged such deluded members. I am here to share the essence of our being and the bonds of spirituality and humanity that bind us.

Harikrish
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Harikrish
People who look for affection and happiness on public forums must suffer from low self esteem

Need stop there, completely irrelevant. Get relevant or get lost. 
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Harikrish
Other scientific studies have measured the effects of spiritual activity in controlled groups such as Buddhist monks and Nuns and found not only how spirituality affects their brain activity with predictable patterns, but also how it affects the objects such as cancer patients. When these spiritualists concentrate on the wellbeing of the patients, studies have found a dramatic improvement in a high percentage of the controlled group.

I would be interested in reading these studies. Do you happen to know where I might find?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Harikrish
Dharma, not Karma, just so you know. Dharma believes that there's no evil, just negative value and you come back the next life in a form to balance it out. Karma declares all that goes into negative value as 'evil' and with Karma you're always reborn as a human, not another species or alien etc.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Jainism fuses Dharma and Karma together and believe fundamentally in Karma but that you're reincarnated as any species, even a plant perhaps, not just reborn as a human .

Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit

I would be interested in reading these studies. Do you happen to know where I might find?
There are plenty of studies on meditating Buddhist monks and what scanned brain images of meditating monks reveal.

Andrew Newberg, RJ Davidson, Dr Josipovic comes to mind.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
Any incredible Mumbo Jumbo can be regarded as religion. Christianity for example.

55 days later

Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@zedvictor4
Any incredible Mumbo Jumbo can be regarded as religion. Christisnity for example..

Very true. But the affects of religious rituals are being investigated by Scientists. 
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Hinduism is not a religion, it is a catchall term used to describe Indian religion in general(The word was invented for this purpose) . Hinduism covers everything from literally worshipping rocks to suffering from the delusion that you are God. Hinduism is so diverse(because it isn't one religion) that it is impossible to really make too broad of statements concerning it. 

There are a lot of "spiritual exercises" that bring about real effects, and teachers tend to use these effects to reinforce or prove to their students the veracity of the doctrine that is being taught. The truth of the matter is that most Hindu "spiritual exercises" do not truly bring the practitioner closer to enlightenment, but rather bring about a state of prelest. This is because the point of these spiritual exercises is not so much to purify the heart and align oneself to The Truth so much as it is to have an experience. 

Hinduism is not really a religion so much as it is the religion of India. By the religion of India, I mean that in all its diversity. Some of it very thoroughly pagan, some of it more enlightened. 

It is my observation that people in the west tend to be attracted to Hinduism either because of how exotic it is, or because they are attracted to what they find in it that encourages their spiritual egotism.

Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@Mopac
Hinduism is not a religion, it is a catchall term used to describe Indian religion in general(The word was invented for this purpose) . Hinduism covers everything from literally worshipping rocks to suffering from the delusion that you are God. Hinduism is so diverse(because it isn't one religion) that it is impossible to really make too broad of statements concerning it.

There are a lot of "spiritual exercises" that bring about real effects, and teachers tend to use these effects to reinforce or prove to their students the veracity of the doctrine that is being taught. The truth of the matter is that most Hindu "spiritual exercises" do not truly bring the practitioner closer to enlightenment, but rather bring about a state of prelest. This is because the point of these spiritual exercises is not so much to purify the heart and align oneself to The Truth so much as it is to have an experience.

Hinduism is not really a religion so much as it is the religion of India. By the religion of India, I mean that in all its diversity. Some of it very thoroughly pagan, some of it more enlightened.

It is my observation that people in the west tend to be attracted to Hinduism either because of how exotic it is, or because they are attracted to what they find in it that encourages their spiritual egotism.

Hinduism is more a religion than Christianity which portrays the God of the Bible as a genocidal lunatic and his son Jesus a blasphemous liar and a lunatic who was crucified for his blasphemous lies. Since when did religion become an exercise in insulting Gods and their children?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Harikrish
Christianity is a way of life you do not know.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Harikrish
But the effects of religious rituals are being investigated by scientists.
No doubt.
Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@Mopac
Christianity is a way of life you do not know
Nor is it a way of life suitable for normal decent people.

Hinduism is more a religion than Christianity which portrays the God of the Bible as a genocidal lunatic and his son Jesus a blasphemous liar and a lunatic who was crucified for his blasphemous lies. Since when did religion become an exercise in insulting Gods and their children?

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Harikrish
Christianity is a way of life you do not know, so it stands to reason you do not have an informed opinion about it.

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@janesix
The word religion is sort of a loaded term and people can and do apply it subjectively. I think however it fits the most widely accepted definition. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@secularmerlin
Unfortunately the word "religion" even has been stigmatized among Christians. I however, like the word.

I think maybe Harikrish is offended that I understand the word "Hinduism" to be a blanket term for the various religions of India. This is how the inventers of the word refered to what they saw as the diverse and eclectic paganism they found in India. Even today, you will find diverse and eclectic paganism in India!

There is no say, "orthodox" Hinduism. Rather, it is really the religion of India, which is very diverse. It is diverse because it isn't one religion, it is many different religions. They are tied together of course by the place of their origin and development... The rich and ancient culture of India! These Indian religions very rarely are of much interest to anyone other than Indians and the occasional Californian. On the rare occasion that they do, we aren't talking Hinduism anymore, we are talking about something like Buddhism. 

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Mopac
I don't accept you as an authority on Hinduism or Indian history.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Mopac
Christianity, Hinduism, Buddhism, Paganism et al.

All essentially the same.

Naïve hypotheses. 

Internal data processing, but with some slight cosmetic variations in output.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
That sounds like it could be a very Hindu opinion.
Harikrish
Harikrish
-->
@Mopac
Unfortunately the word "religion" even has been stigmatized among Christians. I however, like the word.

I think maybe Harikrish is offended that I understand the word "Hinduism" to be a blanket term for the various religions of India. This is how the inventers of the word refered to what they saw as the diverse and eclectic paganism they found in India. Even today, you will find diverse and eclectic paganism in India!

There is no say, "orthodox" Hinduism. Rather, it is really the religion of India, which is very diverse. It is diverse because it isn't one religion, it is many different religions. They are tied together of course by the place of their origin and development... The rich and ancient culture of India! These Indian religions very rarely are of much interest to anyone other than Indians and the occasional Californian. On the rare occasion that they do, we aren't talking Hinduism anymore, we are talking about something like Buddhism

Hindus are reincarnate when they die. But Christains rot in their graves waiting to be resurrected. Christians are the only group of people that worships a dead Jewish corpse nailed to a wooden cross 2000 years ago after they put him there. It was the Roman /Gentiles that crucified Jesus before they exhalted the corpse as God.