Biblical verses/stories which don't really fit?

Author: SkepticalOne

Total: 20
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
I was recently charged with providing an example of a "verse completely void of cross-references that doesn't fit with the rest of the Bible. I think the default response might be to provide contradictions, but this didn't really go with the point that spawned this question. The Bible is thought (by many) to be consistent in its narrative, but given many different minds over a large period of time it wouldn't be surprising if some things did not fit together. 

Here was my submission:

Mark 16:8  They went out and fled from the tomb, for trembling and astonishment had gripped them; and they said nothing to anyone, for they were afraid.

This is how our oldest and best manuscripts of the 1st gospel ends. The other gospels writers made sure to have the witnesses TELL other people and have Jesus show his resurrected self! At a later date, someone (it is supposed it might be a scribe) made an ending for Mark (Mark 16:9-20) to fix this problem. 

I welcome other solutions to this challenge and criticism to mine. 

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
contradictions dont exist in the Bible
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@Dr.Franklin
This thread is not about that. I started a thread on Biblical contradictions just for you! 😉
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@SkepticalOne
Just for me!, how conveinant!
EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@Dr.Franklin

Even if they did, it's irrelevant. Irrelevant to the progression of spiritual growth. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@EtrnlVw
No, that means a perfect God can't exist!, but God is perfect, here are some exmples

Taken from....Taking Back Astronomy for the Lord

"Let’s start close to home, with a relatively small astronomical object. The moon is the nearest (natural) celestial body. It is approximately 2,100 miles (3,400 kilometers) in diameter—roughly the size of the continental United States. The moon orbits at an average distance of 240,000 miles (380,000 km) from the earth. On the one hand, this is a tremendous distance. On the other hand, it is not so far as to be totally incomprehensible; some cars have as many miles on them as this. The moon orbits the earth in a roughly circular path, taking about one month from start to finish. In fact, that is where we get the idea for a “month.” According to Scripture, one of the reasons God created the celestial bodies was to be for signs, seasons, days, and years (Genesis 1:14)—in other words, to mark the passage of time. The moon does just that. It continually orbits the earth every month with clockwork precision."
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@EtrnlVw

Even if they did, it's irrelevant. Irrelevant to the progression of spiritual growth. 

Absolutely. The Bible itself is not necessary for the progression of spiritual growth.
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@SkepticalOne
Absolutely. The Bible itself is not necessary for the progression of spiritual growth.

While this is absolutely true, there are things within the Bible that are true. Meaning there are principles that could lead you to spiritual growth. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Your version of God can't exist without the Bible being absolutely true, I tell you that's hog wash lol, God exists despite the flaws of the Bible! God's perfection (whatever that means) is not dependent on the Bible. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@EtrnlVw
Like what?
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Like what? God exists independent of the Bible. 

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@EtrnlVw
no 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Lol yes son, the Bible was accumulated well after God's existence lol. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@EtrnlVw
no read John 1;1
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Read reality. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@EtrnlVw
Read the Eternal View of God
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I always do, what's the point? God existed well before any religious interpretation, there is no argument about that. 
EtrnlVw
EtrnlVw
-->
@Dr.Franklin
There is nothing in scriptural texts that I'm unaware of, that is not the point I'm making. Religious interpretations and scriptural texts don't make God, God being an eternal Creator not only predates religious scriptures, but is far more dynamic than any scriptures could ever dictate. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@EtrnlVw
The Bible is not bad, 
SkepticalOne
SkepticalOne
-->
@EtrnlVw

While this is absolutely true, there are things within the Bible that are true. Meaning there are principles that could lead you to spiritual growth. 

There are things within Harry Potter that are true. Meaning there are principles that could lead you to spiritual growth...