Never Argue with Religious People

Author: Paul

Total: 84
Paul
Debates: 0
Paul
You should never argue with religious people because they have magic on their side. When you have magic on your side literally anything you can think of is possible. So, never argue with religious people, unless of course you find it amusing.

Stephen
Stephen
You should never argue with religious people because they have magic on their side.

It is not that they have "magic on their side", it is because they have faith so deep that they are unable to look at the scripture in any other way than what they have been indoctrinated into, especially the literalists.. They will even lie to defend their faith. They will change whole or parts of verses and reinterpret long held beliefs when those long held beliefs are proven to be wrong, hypocritical or simply untrue.

But there is a thin difference between "arguing" with a religious person and challenging his religion. I personally never set out to change the mind of a  person of faith; I am not stupid enough to believe that can ever be done.  I do however set out to challenge what it is that a person of faith actually has faith in. 

Believers just can't seem to grasp that,today in the 21st century for them to say the Jesus was able to walk on water simply because he was the 'son of god', just won't do anymore. If a man walked on water then there has to be evidence for him to have actually walked on the surface of ever moving liquid: it has to be explainable, or the term to 'walk on water' means something entirely different if it not just a lie.
SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@Paul
You should never argue with religious people because they have magic on their side. When you have magic on your side literally anything you can think of is possible.

This is too general to be accurate. Religion alone doesn't keep people from being reasonable or from being reasoned with. If it did, then no one would ever de-convert. Some believers can be extremely dogmatic and may distrust anyone who believes differently. Reasoning with these folks may be a lost cause. However, this is a subset of believers much like anti-theists are a subset of atheists. Let's not pigeonhole believers based on the most extreme examples of theism.

In short, don't push away reasonable people by being unreasonable towards them. 

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@Paul
Arguing with "religious people" is extremely entertaining. That's why we do it.

And we're fully aware that all religious hypotheses are based on magical assumptions.

But to be honest, something from nothing does seem to be undeniably magical.

I think that the biggest problem that non-religious people have, is all that biblical nonsense and all it's associated ritualistic nonsense.

If a God did create everything, then so be it.

Why all the singing and dancing of a Sunday morning.

Why would an omni-sensible God be interested in all that singing and dancing tosh.?
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
At least you guys are revealing your true motives
Paul
Paul
-->
@janesix
True, but aren't we all here because it's fun?
janesix
janesix
-->
@Paul
No.
Paul
Paul
-->
@janesix
What are the other reasons?

janesix
janesix
-->
@Paul
To have discussions with people. Socializing. Find people with same interests. 
Paul
Paul
-->
@janesix
I guess I’m strange because I think all those things are fun!

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@janesix
Discussing yes.

But call me old fashioned, you actually need to get out to socialize.

And you can only assume that others have similar interests.

And debating is all about discussing with people who have an opposing opinion.

And why would you waste your time debating if you didn't find it entertaining?

Perhaps you're an intellectual masochist?
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@janesix

What do you mean by that? My motive is and has been clear as a blue sky from day one. I question what the the believers believe in and expect them to be able to answer without relying on supernatural explanations.

janesix
janesix
-->
@zedvictor4
Discussing yes.

But call me old fashioned, you actually need to get out to socialize.
I am a social outcast. 

And you can only assume that others have similar interests.
Ancient metrology? I don't think so.

And debating is all about discussing with people who have an opposing opinion.

And why would you waste your time debating if you didn't find it entertaining?
To improve my interaction skills.

Perhaps you're an intellectual masochist?
A loser is more like it.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Stephen
do you include those who "believe" in intelligent design?  Since right now, for me, that is the best argument for creation I have heard yet.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@janesix
Positive Negative Mental Attitude. If you get my drift.

Paul
Paul
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
People believe in intelligent design because intelligent design is meant to be believed, but that's all it's good for. What you do with it after that I have no idea.
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@janesix
Their motives aren't all too difficult to discern once one deconstructs their arguments and expose their rationales which in my experience are usually based on some perverted or bastardized understanding of logic. Their tools of perception and their means of rationalizing them according to their definitions and concepts would be considered what they allege is "magical" as well. But that part is conveniently left out of the joke. Instead they'd rather trade feelings than cogent and logically consistent arguments, which are the essence of debate. Instead, they're more preoccupied with letting you know how little they think of your "magic" with enmity and hostility, while maintaining their obliviousness to their unsubstantiated claims of "magic" as well.
"
In other words, they're highly emotional and they often engage psychological projection (e.g. finding it "fun.") They merely disguise their dogma and ideological fervor with hostile humor, but not very well.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Athias
That's a long winded way of saying that people have varying opinions, but my opinion is far better than theirs is.

And far to much angst to boot. 

Who's the highly emotional one?

Athias
Athias
-->
@zedvictor4
That's a long winded way of saying that people have varying opinions, but my opinion is far better than theirs is.
No, that's my long-winded way of stating that many of the atheists in my experience employ an inconsistent use of logic, and that their hostile humor is often a veil for high emotional content.

And far to much angst to boot. 
I'm far too old for angst. People my age "brood."

Who's the highly emotional one?
You're only making my point. Why else engage the "angst" of a "long-winded" individual? You're projecting. I observe; I point out; I state in contribution to introspection, self-scrutiny, and intellectual honesty. You can't find a single statement of mine where I make reference to my emotions. But I'd be able to find one of yours.
Stephen
Stephen
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
do you include those who "believe" in intelligent design?

Include them in what exactly?
Tradesecret
Debates: 2
Tradesecret
-->
@Stephen
What do you mean by that? My motive is and has been clear as a blue sky from day one. I question what the the believers believe in and expect them to be able to answer without relying on supernatural explanations.
I expect you have probably answered this elsewhere, but if someone believes in a divine being who intervenes divinely into the world, why should they answer without relying on supernatural explanations? 

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Athias
So atheists find religious ideas amusing and theists can't handle atheist humour. Therefore, wherein lies the most pervasive emotion.

It takes far less effort to smile than it does to brood. 

And if we all agreed about everything, who would you have to debate with at 8.25 BST.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Paul
we just think about it more, perhaps technology will develop enough to explore that further, rather than just theory, that has been true for many things if you think about it.  We think we know far more than we actually do.  So many times have we been wrong.

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Stephen
as being a "religious" person
Paul
Paul
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
What does intelligent design prove?

Athias
Athias
-->
@zedvictor4
So atheists find religious ideas amusing and theists can't handle atheist humour.
Don't misunderstand: pointing out the hostile humor is not tacit information of being "unable to handle" it. By all means, indulge your amusement. Its is of no consequence either way.

Therefore, wherein lies the most pervasive emotion.
You're projecting.

It takes far less effort to smile than it does to brood. 
I'm not sure what this demonstrates or conveys, but... okay.

And if we all agreed about everything, who would you have to debate with at 8.25 BST.
Disagreement is fine. Rigorous exchange of conflicting ideas within a logically consistent format is better.
TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Paul
why ask me?  I never said it proved anything.  what I said in post #14 was "that is the best argument for creation I have heard yet."
Stronn
Stronn
-->
@Paul
The goal in a debate is not to convince your opponent. You will never do that, especially when it comes to religion.. The goal in a debate is to persuade the audience. Here, the audience are the readers. If your arguments move those who are undecided a little bit in your direction, then that is about the most that you can expect to achieve.

It's still worth doing, for the simple reason that bad ideas need to be opposed. They tend to spread, otherwise.

Paul
Paul
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Well, from what I gather is that it's supposed to prove that we were created instead of evolution being responsible. Of course only creationists believe it “proves” anything. The most interesting thing about intelligent design is that it's completely useless. What can you do with the “science” of intelligent design is nothing, as this woman explains:

TheDredPriateRoberts
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Paul
we can talk about, ponder it, perhaps as technology advances, actually find it.  I don't believe either side has proven the other side wrong.  
You have to go to the very beginning, the big bang, and just decide which is more likely the cause, a random occurrence, luck, whatever and that created the multiverse or it was intelligently designed.