Author: bsh1

Total: 27
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
Welcome to the Celebrity Mafia endgame!

Mafia wins! Congratulations!

MAFIA

Pie - You are CATE BLANCHETT. You have enormous malleability as an actress, demonstrated by your successful portrayal of roles as diverse as Galadriel, Elizabeth I, and Irina Spalko. Your versatility--and the skill by which you cross boundaries--makes you the even-night NINJA. On even-numbered nights, if you perform the NK, you may not be tracked or watched. You win with the mafia.

Speed 2 (Oro) - You are RACHEL MADDOW. Relentless truth-seeking is your hallmark. Your in-depth exploration of oft-undercovered (yet critically important) stories, has earned you plaudits from critics and lay audiences alike. Your decision to take seriously the press’s role as watchdog makes you the LOOKOUT. Each night you may select another player. You will learn who, if anyone, visited your target that night. You win with the mafia.

Warren - You are KIM KARDASHIAN. For you, I have only a collection of adjectives: “irresponsible,” “vacuous,” “conceited,” and, most devastatingly, “hackneyed.” You are the GOON. You have no role. You win with the mafia.

TOWN

Press - You are SEAN O'PRY. As a highly successful model, your presence and all-American facial features have earned you acclaim and placed you in high demand. That being said, I never found you attractive. Being frank, your looks strike me more as skeletal than sensual. Therefore, you are VANILLA. You have no role. You win with the town.

Speed 1 - You are SHAWN MENDES. Your music is not good, but who honestly cares? Your hair, your face, your body...You could visit me any night. Therefore, you are the compulsive VISITOR. Each night, you must choose another player to visit. Your visit has no effect on you or on your target. If you fail to submit a target, one will be randomly selected for you. You win with the town.

Wylted - You are JAMES DEAN. For a generation, your name became synonymous with rebellion and the malaise of social estrangement. You embodied a particular brand of dark, outsider sex appeal that excited fangirls around the world before the world fangirl even entered our lexicon. However, while I admit there is a gravity to you and your persona, you never did anything for me. Therefore, you are VANILLA. You have no role. You win with the town.

Supa - You are ANDERSON COOPER. You are a silver fox; time is typically the enemy of beauty, beauty being a sadly ephemeral condition. Yet, you have more than weathered the tests of time. Therefore, you are the 1-shot BULLETPROOF. The first time you are targeted for death at night, you will survive. You will not be notified if/when your shot is used. You win with the town.

Mhar - You are RUPERT BROOKE. Prepossessing in a boyish kind of way, your youthful and philosophical idealism permeates your poetry, which strikes the reader as somewhere between the aestheticism of Keats and the music of Hopkins. You expressed a yearning so many of us feel, yet so few of us can convey. Therefore, you are the DREAMER. At the end of each night, you will be provided the names of three players. At least one of those players will be scum, and at least one of those players will be town. You will not dream if disturbed in the night. You win with the town.

Cogent - You are PITA TAUFATOFUA. Your Olympic entrance was appreciated not just for your celebration of traditional Tongan culture, but for how fantastic you looked doing it. Having competed in multiple sports, you are experienced at setting and pursuing goals. Therefore, you are the TRACKER. Each night, you may select another player. You will learn who, if anyone, that player visited during the night. You win with the town.

Club - You are EDUARDO SANCHEZ-UBANELL. For a YouTube celebrity, you come across as surprisingly shy. Granted, when you have the backing of BuzzFeed and when you look like that, shyness is not much of a barrier to influencer stardom. Sweet and sexy, I wouldn't mind you paying me a few visits. Therefore, you are the compulsive VISITOR. Each night, you must choose another player to visit. Your visit has no effect on you or on your target. If you fail to submit a target, one will be randomly selected for you. You win with the town.

Grey - You are GEORGE CLOONEY. You inherited an immense talent from a family brimming with it, and became a success almost by virtue of your birth. It certainly did not hurt that you benefited from connections, dreamy looks, and money. It is indisputable, of course, that as your fame ballooned, so too did popular references to your good-looks. Yet, that some would find you so attractive always baffled me. I have always found you rather plain and nondescript. Therefore, you are VANILLA. You have no role. You win with the town.

Disc - You are THEO JAMES. As Four, you read as a modern Marlon Brando--strong, confident, masculine. Your seething sex appeal certainly reeled me in. I'd go so far as to say that you could visit me anytime. Therefore, you are the compulsive VISITOR. Each night, you must choose another player to visit. Your visit has no effect on you or on your target. If you fail to submit a target, one will be randomly selected for you. You win with the town.

NIGHT ACTIONS

NP1

Cogent - Trk. Wylted
Disc - Vst. Cogent
Speed - Vst. Supa
Club - Vst. Speed
Oro - Lkt. Wylted
Warren - NK Speed

NP2

Cogent - Trk. Mhar
Disc - Vst. Cogent
Club - Vst. Cogent 
Speed - Lkt. Cogent
Warren - NK Wylted

NP3

Cogent - Trk. Speed
Disc - Vst. Cogent
Club - Vst. Cogent
Speed - Lkt. Cogent
Warren - NK Mhar

NP4

Cogent - Trk. Club
Disc - Vst. Grey
Club - Vst. Grey
Speed - Lkt. Cogent
Speed - NK Cogent

bsh1
bsh1
DAY PHASE ARCHIVE

ON THE THEME

The theme for this game was Women (mafia) vs. Men (town). There was a further thematic element, in that men who I find attractive were given non-Vanilla roles, and men who I do not find attractive--but who others often did--were given Vanilla roles. It was for this reason that I found Warren's claim hard to believe, and it surprised me that no one called him out on it. I will also note, for the record, that I was being polite when I described O'Pry as cute. My taste in men runs towards the muscular-but-not-freakishly-so end of the spectrum, with some exceptions. When I do find men outside of that type attractive, they tend to have softer features--O'Pry's face is just way too angular. That might be a bit TMI but I mention it to explain why certain characters and justifications were included.

ON THE BALANCE

I felt that this game was extremely well-balanced. The Visitor roles were not fluff roles; their inclusion balanced for the dreamer. By upping the number of visiting roles, I increased the likelihood that the dreamer might not dream, without, I think, making it too unlikely that the dreamer would dream. The Ninja balanced for the Tracker. The Ninja was given a restrictive flavor in part because the dreamer was already a fairly weak investigative role (and Town had no doctor), and so I felt that the Tracker could not be balanced at parity with the Ninja, lest town's only power roles be overly counterbalanced. Mafia was given the Lookout to help them identify Town's active roles, but the Tracker might have been able to hide among all the visitors, and made it difficult for Mafia to pinpoint who had a power role and who did not. And, of course, Town had a BP.

ON THE GAME

I was enormously pleased with the amount of activity in this game, and want to thank everyone for participating as much as they did. It is that level of participation which makes the game fun and worthwhile. There were, I think, a few missteps on both sides. Supa should not, for instance, have hinted at being BP quite so early, as he effectively rendered his role useless. Mafia should have pushed for a Cogent lynch earlier, given that he stated his character has won a gold medal. Pita Taufatofua has never won an Olympic Medal of any level. The Speed-Warren gambit should have been more transparent, given how obvious it was that Warren was scum. Why would experienced scum so clumsily and poorly counterclaim another player in a non-MYLO or -LYLO situation if that other player were really town? Granted, I had the advantage of knowing what was going on, but it seemed tremendously transparent to me. Finally, if I were Mhar, I would not have claimed when I did--I would have waited to see if I could have gotten another dream before exposing myself to mafia. Overall, I think mafia took some unnecessary risks (like the gambit) and town lacked sufficient coordination early on. I will award Mafia and Game MVPs to Speed, for (a) not being lynched and (b) carrying mafia to the finish. While I don't think there was genuinely any town MVP, but I will award it as a tie between Wylted and Disc.

Thanks again to all who played. It was a fun game for me and hopefully for you too! Farewell to Celebrity Mafia, and good luck to you in your future games! 
Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
-->
@bsh1
I felt like I couldn’t risk dying in the NP. That would mean my dreams would go to waste.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Disc as town MVP???? Lmao I called the two scum
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@Vader
So did Disc.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Mharman
But your one dream did, effectively, go to waste, as it was clear that Pie was scum without the dream, and unlikely the other two were scum. Hence, you revealed yourself without any tangible gain, as I could see.
Mharman
Mharman
-->
@bsh1
Fair point. But it did add to the case for Cogent and Disc being town.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Vader
Doesn't really matter if you make your role worthless and then get lynched a few DPs later because you didn't have enough towncred. Even townies need towncred.
Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
-->
@bsh1
Awwww thanks dude :D

And for the record, I told warren not to counterclaim me but he didn’t read our pm’s lol

Wylted definitely deserves MVP for his discovery of Pie, Disc does not xD he messed town up more than anything

This was a lot of fun and I hope you host one again!
Vader
Vader
Mafia should have lost this game easily, but foolish town play caused this game to take an L

I was not perfect in my role, I messed up soft claiming DP1, eventually leading to my lynch because of the incompetence of town. 

These are moments that triggered me

WARREN AND SPEED2 BUSSING WAS SO OBVIOUS I LITERALLY SAW IT FROM A MILE AWAY!!! HOW DID TOWN NOT PICK UP ON THIS???? Don't get me wrong, it wasn't awful bussing, but it sure as hell was not good enough to keep Speed2 alive.

Speed2 was scum tell. His rush to lynch a confirmed power town and then hold back on a spotty Pie lynch is a scum w/o a doubt. I never got time to explain myself, and try to push a lynch on him, but oh well

GG on Warren. He was so obviously scum that if y'all did not lynch I would have been done.

Now for my call out threads....YIPEE

DISC-  I know ur bad at town, but MY GOD you were AWFUL. In a LY-LO situation, you believe Speed, someone we sus scum and cause a L-1 where Speed pressured. WAIT IT OUT!!! HOLY SHIT. You had 3 days to finish this out and you failed idiotically. Completely missed my reads and targetting me the entire time, what a PATHETIC GAME. OMG!
Grey- WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU PUSH A LYNCH WHEN SPEED2 ALREADY PUSHED THE LYNCH!!! NO POINT IN DOING SO. You were fine, but that was idiotic of itself

The MVP is without a doubt Wylted for town and Speed2 for mafia. Speed2 played into idiotic town

Vader
Vader
-->
@bsh1
Fair enough. I confirmed my role early on. Surely that could have been enough town cred to listen to me, even before finding me out. Or even go back and listen to me during the DP
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Vader
Fair enough. I confirmed my role early on.

Why do you keep saying your role was confirmed? Is it because you don't know what the word confirmed means?
Vader
Vader
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
I said it was protective role that could be confirmed
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@Mharman
Fair point. But it did add to the case for Cogent and Disc being town.

No it didn't.  It is possible to have multiple scum in a dream. They were just as mathematically likely to be town before the dream as after
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Vader
No, you said that it was 100% confirmed.

You said that just now in post 11.

But it wasn't.
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
By the way. Without the info bsh1 was privy to, it read as a bus to me as well.
Cogent_Cognizer
Debates: 5
Cogent_Cognizer
Yeah, if I wasn't killed I was going to make my case for speed being scum(I technically did already in DP 3 I think, and I was going to remind everyone of it, but it seems I think town just wanted it over with and didn't want to analyze)... but I was NK'd, so I couldn't make my case and speed was scum , which I imagine speed knew I would do that, so I was the logical NK choice given no one else was putting effort into the game it seemed like.

Cogent_Cognizer
Debates: 5
Cogent_Cognizer
For town to win, we can't have people that just laze around.

Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
-->
@Cogent_Cognizer
I tried to stop it at the last second, the goal was for warren to go first and then me counterclaim him but since I claimed first and people seemed to be leaning a bit more towards Club then I was like PLEASE DON'T COUNTERCLAIM ME but he did and I cried, I'm just glad it worked out in the end xD
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Cogent_Cognizer
For town to win, we can't have people that just laze around. 
Actually, I don't think anyone was being lazy this game. I think there were just some tactical errors and a lack of coordination early on.

warren42
Debates: 2
warren42
-->
@Vader
Speed and I bussing was so obvious that you saw it a mile away despite thinking that pie was town? Seriously dude. Relax. There were definitely some sub-optimal plays from town, but you can’t act like you were just somehow the savior that nobody listened to. There’s a reason they didn’t listen to you.
ILikePie5
ILikePie5
-->
@bsh1
Btw, I hated the Google Docs idea, It killed my OCD and scoring down on mobile took forever.

Just some feedback for ya
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@ILikePie5
I hated the Google Docs idea
The problem I had/have with Discord is that other users can, apparently, see who is active on Discord. This means that Discord can act as an indicator of affiliation. If three or four players out of a 12 person game are consistently on Discord, then it seems logical to assume that they are the most likely culprits for being scum. Google docs was something I knew how to use (I am decidedly non-tech savvy) and which I knew would not act as an indicator of affiliation. Hence, I chose to use Google docs to host the mafia PM. I am open to alternative suggestions, but I found that it worked well enough for this game.

bsh1
bsh1
-->
@warren42
I also wanted to briefly address what you said in the mafia PM about confirming night actions.

It seems to me that mafia has an advantage over town in terms of inactivity. Suppose that 2 mafiosos were inactive, and that an equal proportion of town (6 players) were inactive. Normally, this would substantially disadvantage town, because town would be far less able to agree a lynch and it is possible some of their number would not submit actions even if they had power roles. However, mafia normally wouldn't be too hurt by this, because as long as one of them is active, they can still submit an NK target and night actions.

By requiring a majority of mafiosos to confirm all mafia actions, I feel like I leveled the playing field. Using the same hypothetical scenario of 2 inactive mafiosos and 6 inactive townies, neither mafia nor town would be any more likely to agree on a lethal move, be it an NK or a lynch. Neither would be more likely to submit and benefit from night actions either. In a game like this, a standstill is probably the most "earned" outcome between the teams, and I'd rather have that then see mafia cruise to an unearned lynch on the back of a single active player.

There is no reason, philosophically, that town should automatically suffer more as a result of inactivity, as it is not inherently town's fault that they got stuck with inactives. So, I decided from the outset that I would require a majority of you to confirm. I probably should have made that clearer from the get-go, but it ultimately did not end up hurting you or your team at all.

warren42
warren42
That reason is logically sound but I still don't agree with it. Personal preference I suppose.
warren42
warren42
-->
@bsh1
Re: Discord I have it running on my computer in the background all the time and wouldn't be surprised if I'm not alone tbh
Mharman
Mharman
Post 15 of DP3. I frickin called it.