Best decade of the World

Author: Dr.Franklin

Total: 31
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
I say the 2000's a new millenium with the internet and cellphones. 2010's wasn't better. The 1960's would be second for me
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
Definitely the 1960's.

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
Studies have shown that most people think the decade they were born is the best and that things have declined ever since. 
Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
-->
@oromagi
Studies have shown that most people think the decade they were born is the best and that things have declined ever since. 
So basically the greatest generation paved the best ten years, ever.  Myth confirmed

oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@Snoopy
If one goes by the polling, yes.  I prefer to think that the best is yet to come.
Snoopy
Debates: 1
Snoopy
I say the 2000's a new millenium with the internet and cellphones. 2010's wasn't better.
The 2000's are the golden age of the internet, and cellphones are helpful, but I kind of hate smartphones in terms of their immediate effect on society.  The video games are great as well.  

Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
Each decade sees a higher quality of life for most people. Certainly there must've been untold scores of millions who languished in abject poverty back in 2009 who're noticeably better off now.
HOWEVER, as an American I do have a few gripes about how things went downhill in the '10s.

For most of the 2000s the economy was doing pretty alright and for about half of the 2010s it kind of wasn't. Our politics have devolved into large-scale baboon turd flinging contests and a whole world of media-induced paranoia is literally at our fingertips wherever we go.
10 years ago many basic, even lifesaving medicines were more affordable than they are now. This is a bad time to be diabetic in America, for example.
IN ADDITION, modern Microsoft Word just completely sucks d*ck whereas the version 10-15 years ago was pretty much immaculate, the occasional frozen screen aside (and that was more of a hardware error). You just bought it once, installed it onto your desktop, and you were good to go as long as the device itself still worked. Nowadays if you lose wi-fi then that goes caput even if you're not using it online. Also, the fact that it requires internet access to use means Microsoft now presumably has a record of every edit ever made to any such document. I'm not sure whether I even own the rights to whatever I type on there.
Also, Windows XP had such an easy user interface compared to most devices now. On my Google Chromebook I can't edit or print anything I download. If it's possible to do that I don't know how, whereas it should be rather intuitive and straightforward. Heck, when I delete stuff on my Chromebook I don't even know if it's actually been deleted. Most of the time it doesn't look like it has been so.
We now live in an era where if back in 2010 you were an edgy sh*tposter teen who posted a racist joke somewhere on the internet, a joke that in itself did no harm to anyone and was meant in good fun, you could lose your job over it 9 years later as an adult. Journalists can incite a social media mob against someone, destroy that person's life, and then not face any consequences whatsoever for doing so.

Also, at work the radio's constantly playing garbage that came out recently. Mainly country, but also some synthpop.
Like what on earth are these people supposed to be? The best and brightest musicians of 2019?
"Just wait...a minute...to take...the time...the clock...is ticking...something something...all you have to do is wait...a minute..."
Show me a song from the 80s that wasn't at least tolerable.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Swagnarok
Yes, but politics has always been awful
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Snoopy
Why?
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@oromagi
Well,shit

22 days later

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Depends on what you are defining good as? Culture, policy, music, etc..

Vader
Vader
-->
@Dr.Franklin
When you are looking at things from an overall standpoint, the best decade was the 80s

Iconic culture with great music. The foundations of technology were built, the Cold War was ended, and Reagan led our country and we beat communism. the 80s collectively was the best era with everything combined
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Vader
The foundations of technology were put in place long before the 1980's and communism was and still is an unachievable utopia. 

And culture can be anything you want it to be.

And some music we want to listen to again and some we don't, irrespective of decade.

And Ronald seemed a nice sort of a guy. Though, nowhere near as entertaining as Donald.

So what do you think, specifically about the 1980's should be remembered as being culturally iconic?

And where is the overall standpoint?

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Vader
Same could be saif for the 40's when we beated fascism, the 2000's was a wide variety of greatness
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@Vader
I am facetiously convinced that the invention of triggered drums and synth drums is what caused John Bonham to drink himself to death. 

I anti-vote the 1980s.

zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@Dr.Franklin
"We beated fascism"...….What a glorious statement.
Though some might say that the cost of beating fascism somewhat overshadowed it's achievements.

And so what about this decade and the rise of what might rightly be described as fascist liberalism?

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@zedvictor4
No that was the 30's, fascist liberalism started with Wilson and intesified with FDR

107 days later

Dynasty
Debates: 11
Dynasty
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I would agree on you said about the 2000s. And, I would agree that the early 2010s were better than mid or late 2010s.
triangle.128k
Debates: 0
triangle.128k
I anti-vote the 1960s, they're probably one of the worst decades in American history.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@triangle.128k
Is it because Israel won a war
triangle.128k
Debates: 0
triangle.128k
-->
@Dr.Franklin
How can you call yourself a conservative after liking the decade of the counterculture movement?
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@triangle.128k
not everything is politics
Vader
Vader
-->
@Dr.Franklin
40s weren't big cultural hotspots though. Frank Sinatra was good, but there wasn't anything notable

I define best through a variety of ways

1) Cultural
2) Political
3) Legislative
4) Inventions

Cultural in the 2000s: 8
Politics: 5
Legisltive: 3
Inventions: 10
--------------------
80s

Culture: 9
Politics: 8
Legislation: 6
Inventions: 8

Pinkfreud08
Debates: 17
Pinkfreud08
-->
@Dr.Franklin
I personally enjoy the 70's, the perfect mixture of the '60s and '80s for me. 

Plus this was the decade the Standford prison experiment took place in lol 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Pinkfreud08
cool
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Vader
i dont really get your scores
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Swagnarok
Our politics have devolved into large-scale baboon turd flinging contests and a whole world of media-induced paranoia is literally at our fingertips wherever we go.
Was there such thing called the internet back then? You know the very thing that facilities the rise of the so-called "media-induced paranoia". The internet is just a tool like any other. It is about how people use it. If there is this paranoia it is only a representation of the people who consume and create the content. If you are saying problems weren't so heightened like what it was back in the day please take into consideration the increasing population the growth of communication. 
10 years ago many basic, even lifesaving medicines were more affordable than they are now.
Shame that the US doesn't have medicare for all but it isn't the Democrats stopping this from occurring. I wonder who is at fault and who the very person who said this closely aligns too. I am going out on a hunch and say by you complaining about this you are a hypocrite given you closely align to the Republican party that removed Obama care and gave nothing better in return. 
IN ADDITION, modern Microsoft Word just completely sucks d*ck whereas the version 10-15 years ago was pretty much immaculate, the occasional frozen screen aside (and that was more of a hardware error). You just bought it once, installed it onto your desktop, and you were good to go as long as the device itself still worked. Nowadays if you lose wi-fi then that goes caput even if you're not using it online.
False I just loaded up Word right now with my wifi off and it worked. With the increase in technology there will be cases that things just don't get fixed. It only really matters if it hurts their bottom line. A problem with using word currently is that it takes a while to load Word but since people still buy it they are not going to fix it. That is the problem. At least point out actual problems instead of making stuff up.
Also, the fact that it requires internet access to use means Microsoft now presumably has a record of every edit ever made to any such document. I'm not sure whether I even own the rights to whatever I type on there.
It doesn't require an internet access. Stop lying.
Also, Windows XP had such an easy user interface compared to most devices now. On my Google Chromebook I can't edit or print anything I download. If it's possible to do that I don't know how, whereas it should be rather intuitive and straightforward. Heck, when I delete stuff on my Chromebook I don't even know if it's actually been deleted. Most of the time it doesn't look like it has been so.
Easy is subjective. Who prints? Literally getting scammed. Video about why it is one. 
We now live in an era where if back in 2010 you were an edgy sh*tposter teen who posted a racist joke somewhere on the internet, a joke that in itself did no harm to anyone and was meant in good fun, you could lose your job over it 9 years later as an adult. Journalists can incite a social media mob against someone, destroy that person's life, and then not face any consequences whatsoever for doing so.
Lol who would've thought times change and people just progressively become more left and they decide to collectively group and remove awful people from platforms they like being on? Cry me a river. 

Please show me the 9 years as an adult example.
Also, at work the radio's constantly playing garbage that came out recently. Mainly country, but also some synthpop.
Like what on earth are these people supposed to be? The best and brightest musicians of 2019?
"Just wait...a minute...to take...the time...the clock...is ticking...something something...all you have to do is wait...a minute..."
Show me a song from the 80s that wasn't at least tolerable.
Who would've thought music wasn't aimed at you? I did. Eventually I will dislike the latest music but at least I understand why it is the case. Money. 
Swagnarok
Swagnarok
-->
@TheRealNihilist
Not sure why you're going out of your way to be such a butt to a random guy who did nothing to you.
Swagnarok
Swagnarok
Shame that the US doesn't have medicare for all but it isn't the Democrats stopping this from occurring. I wonder who is at fault and who the very person who said this closely aligns too. I am going out on a hunch and say by you complaining about this you are a hypocrite given you closely align to the Republican party that removed Obama care and gave nothing better in return. 

That all sounds good on paper, but there are relevant considerations. For example, attempts by governments to fix prices have often been the cause of serious problems down the road, such as shortages. In addition, the heightened prices could be caused by institutional barriers as opposed to a failure of the free market. I haven't studied up on the subject at any great length, though of course other people (i.e. Republican senators) have and shape policy accordingly.

But more importantly, even if the GOP is wrong about medicine that's just one issue. People don't vote for single issues, they vote for parties. The Democratic Party has emerged as the party that hates whites, hates men, and hates Christians. They and their newsmedia propaganda arm have chosen to take up increasingly belligerent, radical, violent, and exclusionary rhetoric against these same groups, and a government thoroughly dominated by them would have the means to adopt a frightening agenda of wanton bigotry against American citizens and emerge as a lawless terrorist regime. I know this because I gobble up as much NYT, WashPo, The Atlantic, The Guardian, etc. as I can. These are the leading and most "venerable" Left-Wing mouthpieces in the country; one can safely assume that what they say today shapes how the party will act tomorrow. And what I see when I read their material tells me that they respect nothing but power, that these people are so unfathomably evil that if they were allowed to assume total control of the government tomorrow it would spell the end of the America I've been lucky enough to spend my entire life living in.

It doesn't require an internet access. Stop lying.

You can use it offline, sure. But from my experience, only for a little while. If I spend too long offline, it starts to demand that I "verify" my account subscription by (you guessed it) going back online. If I don't (or can't), it eventually shuts me out and I can't use it anymore.
That is to say, I did not "lie". Far from it. I was speaking from my own quite real experiences dealing with the software.

Lol who would've thought times change and people just progressively become more left and they decide to collectively group and remove awful people from platforms they like being on? Cry me a river. 

Companies have enough power over our lives that if they get together and de facto collude to deny any (meaningful) career opportunity to someone because they said or wrote something unpopular, then that might as well be state action against said individual. How would you like if your own opinions were arbitrarily considered "beyond the pale" and people considered that it was "justified" to systematically exclude you from employment because of them? You think it's alright because the other side is "bad". Who are you to decide that? Do we have freedom of speech and expression or don't we?
In addition, you have no sense of scale. Even if X statement was objectively wrong to make, exclusion to the degree I've described is usually going to be far, far disproportionate to the original offense. I presume you're someone who's opposed to our system of mass incarceration, and yet you're supporting ostracizing those people who aren't perfect angels and who have, at some point in their lives prior, said something regrettable?

Who would've thought music wasn't aimed at you? 

Alright, this is just petty as fvck. Am I not allowed to have an opinion on whether contemporary music has gone downhill or not? I'm not holding anyone at gunpoint and making them write music according to my personal tastes, I'm just commenting on the quality of a product from my point of view.
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Swagnarok
Not sure why you're going out of your way to be such a butt to a random guy who did nothing to you.
So you saying dumb stuff and me calling you out on it makes me a butt? Okay.
That all sounds good on paper, but there are relevant considerations. For example, attempts by governments to fix prices have often been the cause of serious problems down the road, such as shortages. In addition, the heightened prices could be caused by institutional barriers as opposed to a failure of the free market. I haven't studied up on the subject at any great length, though of course other people (i.e. Republican senators) have and shape policy accordingly.
Your counter my claim was I don't know. 
The Democratic Party has emerged as the party that hates whites, hates men, and hates Christians.
Nancy Pelosi is white and Catholic while being successful in the Democratic party. You sure you know what you are talking about?
Biden is the leading front runner so I have pretty much negated all of what you said. 
They and their newsmedia propaganda arm have chosen to take up increasingly belligerent, radical, violent, and exclusionary rhetoric against these same groups, and a government thoroughly dominated by them would have the means to adopt a frightening agenda of wanton bigotry against American citizens and emerge as a lawless terrorist regime. I know this because I gobble up as much NYT, WashPo, The Atlantic, The Guardian, etc. as I can. These are the leading and most "venerable" Left-Wing mouthpieces in the country; one can safely assume that what they say today shapes how the party will act tomorrow. And what I see when I read their material tells me that they respect nothing but power, that these people are so unfathomably evil that if they were allowed to assume total control of the government tomorrow it would spell the end of the America I've been lucky enough to spend my entire life living in.
If you want to jerk yourself off. I can recommend a few sites but if you actually want to support your claims with links then go right ahead as in things that the left lied about.
You can use it offline, sure. But from my experience, only for a little while. If I spend too long offline, it starts to demand that I "verify" my account subscription by (you guessed it) going back online. If I don't (or can't), it eventually shuts me out and I can't use it anymore.
That is to say, I did not "lie". Far from it. I was speaking from my own quite real experiences dealing with the software.
? Still do not know what you are talking about. I know it is not Word because I can open files and save files while also editing them without them asking for the internet. Also guess you can literally say "my own quite real experiences" negate what I say even though I can literally use the same thing and report a different more accurate experience given there own site advertises you to be able to do the very things that you don't say. If it was a problem you can sue them for false advertising. Link. You must be worse than you think since I don't even think you know what Word is to think you need an internet connection to open, save and edit files.
Companies have enough power over our lives that if they get together and de facto collude to deny any (meaningful) career opportunity to someone because they said or wrote something unpopular, then that might as well be state action against said individual.
Companies only have that power because people are giving that power. If you don't like that persuade other people to take away their power as well. If you can't then tough luck. Beg the government to step in and help you. Meaningful as in be apart of left leaning institutions? Sorry that the trash that comes out of conservatives mouth will not be tolerated by left wingers. Who would've thought, the anti-gay, racist, anti-trans rhetoric would actually be taken seriously? Maybe it is because they actually care about the issue because it personally impacts them and the people who do decide to make a joke about it don't understand until their career is ruined. Twitters has rules dedicated to these issues. Don't expect them to add an exception like if they are a conservative then these rules don't apply. 
How would you like if your own opinions were arbitrarily considered "beyond the pale" and people considered that it was "justified" to systematically exclude you from employment because of them?
Guess I have to adjust what I say. I never knew there was more than 1 word I can say instead oh wait I can. You literally think it is a death sentence if you can't say the n-word. It is not, chill. There is plenty of other ways to insult other people on Twitter. 
You think it's alright because the other side is "bad". Who are you to decide that? Do we have freedom of speech and expression or don't we?
The other-side do not hold Twitter or other social media sites so guess who decides to institute the rules? The left. Please if you had the power I promise you wouldn't be defending as in sticking up for the left. 

Freedom of speech is actually not a thing. You can't shout a fire in a crowded theater if there is no fire. You can't express your freedom to kill someone. There are rules that infringe on freedom. Just one means you are not free to do what you like. You are bound by rules.
In addition, you have no sense of scale. Even if X statement was objectively wrong to make, exclusion to the degree I've described is usually going to be far, far disproportionate to the original offense. I presume you're someone who's opposed to our system of mass incarceration, and yet you're supporting ostracizing those people who aren't perfect angels and who have, at some point in their lives prior, said something regrettable?
Who said I agree with what I said? I didn't. I merely expressed what is going on. 

To this I say as much as I think people are redeemable there is a line to be drawn when enough is enough and people shouldn't tolerate other people just because they can change in the future. If someone kills someone well they should be jailed and rehabilitated. If someone cheats on you it isn't on you to literally forgive them and be with them.
Am I not allowed to have an opinion on whether contemporary music has gone downhill or not?
No because music is subjective and for you to claim otherwise shows your stupidity. There is no objective measurement to music only your personal tastes, that is shaped through the course of your life. Other people have different pasts and that changes the way they view music. It all comes to people like different kinds of music because of that. 
I'm just commenting on the quality of a product from my point of view.
Quality implies to something the other-side can agree on as an objective measurement. I haven't seen it apart from well 80s songs didn't suck because I couldn't remember ones that did.