Total: 12
Club
Debates: 26
Club
I suck 
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
I think I have finalised my theory on debating and how to make it work. If it proves true and I win at least 5 out of the next 6 debates I have, I will hit you up with what I have come up with (2 of the 6 are):

4 more will come after that.

One tip I can give, that was proven true by losses I got when experimenting with ignoring it, is that the number one thing to consider is how you'll lose the debate. You need to totally comprehend how to lose a debate without forfeiting, that is where you begin to become great and form theories of how to win and guarantee the win. The theory of how to win is much more fluid and complex. It depends on many things, like the voting base etc.
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@Club
1.) You need to prove or refute the resolution: too many people simply go line by line trying to refute their Opponent and lose track of what they are supposed to prove or refute.

2.) Make clear what you think the resolution means, and make clear what you think it takes to prove it. If your opponent doesn't argue the resolution; or argues different values: point it out, and argue why these values are incorrect - don’t simply keep arguing your position and arguing against your opponents.

3.) Syllogism are a good place to start. As it lays out your argument simply and without ambiguity, and let’s you provide a clear case.

4.) make sure everything ties back to the resolution! If you’re refuting something your opponent says, try and link it back to the resolution, rather than simply trying to argue ways it is wrong.

Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@Club
Being a bit of a broken record, I advise studying this until you grok at least the first page: http://tiny.cc/DebateArt

Would a true template be useful?

Also I've been considering trying to organize couched debates, any interest in taking part?

Club
Club
-->
@Barney
Thank You! I'm a bit confused though, what's block text?
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@Club
See here, and the links it references.

Barney
Barney
-->
@Club
Block text is things like this:
"Thank You! I'm a bit confused though, what's block text?"

Of course it is a poor choice for quoting your opponent, because it adds way too much space (no extra space was added above, and it looks like a whole line to separate things).

However block text can be useful for any lengthy source quotations. Like if I wanted to quote Bsh1's advice I would do it like this... According to Bsh1:
"Clear formatting and readability are also important for voters; voters are more likely to vote on debates which they find readable and are also more likely to understand those debates better. Using headings and subheadings where appropriate, avoiding overly cluttered or dynamic structures and presentations, and writing clearly and concisely will help. Always proofread." [1]

Then add an extra line, and move on to the next idea. When your ideas are all done, list the sources. 

Sources:
  1. https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/346/about-dart-resources-for-new-members?page=1&post_number=3

Club
Club
-->
@Barney
Ok, so I shouldn't really use that so much.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
See, Club doesn't want to read a long ass google doc, it's simple. Git good.

Ok, well Make a point,like Guns save people and then hit the fact, give Reasoning behind you're argument
Barney
Barney
-->
@Club
Ok, so I shouldn't really use that so much.
It can be weird, because on the forums we are informal, thus just use the easiest quotation method.

In debates I would end up putting it like this:

"Ok, so I shouldn't really use that so much."
It can be weird, because on the forums we are informal, thus just use the easiest quotation method.

Or like this:

"Ok, so I shouldn't really use that so much."

The bolded would be if it's a major contention heading, and just underlined for if it's a sub-point (which would have a bolded-underlined heading over it and a set of related ones). Anyway do you get how much better readability is? That ends up feeding organizing ideas, thus in short order improving your arguments. You of course do not want to quote every single line from your opponent, just the ones which catch the gist of what you're responding to. Then round after round I will use the same headings (often new ones get added, but quite often if someone drops a point I'll continue with that heading writing "Extend" under it).
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Just an FYI for users of non-Mac computers, ctrl+] and ctrl+[ help you make layers inside quotes with ease. Use enter key to separate the layers and enable it to work properly.

example ^^^
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Idk if it works on Mac, especially not on Safari browser. Probably does but I still don't know or care if it's cmd or ctrl.

Apple is just complete 'no go' to me, got zero respect for the company.