Microcosm vs Macrocosm

Author: janesix

Total: 5
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
Is Dart representative of the real world? In other words, do you think that the majority of people are assholes? 

Does Dart scare nice people away? Are there any nice people in the world?

PressF4Respect
Debates: 10
PressF4Respect
-->
@janesix
Is Dart representative of the real world? In other words, do you think that the majority of people are assholes? 
Yes. 

Are there any nice people in the world?
No.

The only difference between here and outside is the fact there is actual moderation. 
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Communication over the internet through text will never be like real life interaction, too much is lost in communication.

TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@janesix
Is Dart representative of the real world? 
By percentage. Really slim. I doubt it even comes close to 1%.

I guess with politics and Religion then no. Most people are too busy focusing on recreation or jobs to talk about the topics we discuss here. 

The only areas that I think matter and I would say no.
In other words, do you think that the majority of people are assholes? 
If people are very defensive to new think then yes. If people just start off as assholes then no. Mainly because it is due to the environment. Poor, you would have disdain for both politicians and cops. Rich, I think a disdain for the homeless and people who are finding it difficult to reach what they have.

To that answer yes but it is justifiable and irrational.
oromagi
Debates: 117
oromagi
-->
@janesix
Is Dart representative of the real world?
All human constructs are representative of the human experience in some measure so yes.  DART is a text-based simulation of real-life debate which is in turn a simulation of democratic decision-making.  Many of the questions, conflicts, and problems of DART are echos of real questions, conflicts, and problems.

In other words, do you think that the majority of people are assholes? 
Which presumes that the majority of people on DART are assholes.  I don't buy that.  The internet allows some people the opportunity to act like jerks under the cloak of anonymity, just like drinking allows some people the opportunity to act like jerks under the cloak of non-accountability.  I assume most of these people behave very differently irl.

Does Dart scare nice people away?
Probably.  Probably scares away assholes too.

Are there any nice people in the world?
Lots.