Can you be happy without bad events? Can there be light without the darkness mirroring it?

Author: A-R-O-S-E

Total: 8
A-R-O-S-E
Debates: 0
A-R-O-S-E
-sample text-
A-R-O-S-E
Debates: 0
A-R-O-S-E
If I could try living happy without stupid and bad stuff happening I would. Even if you can't have light without darkness I'd really want to try anyways to see for myself. The same thing with christianity. Why does hell have to be a thing? Why does there need to be a punishment? I don't understand and think that eternity is way too serious to screw with at all. I just have to keep going and trust my god believing that it is simply too wonderful for me to know. (I'm not going to argue about my faith here fyi, just sharing thoughts)

Got thread idea from a bob ross clip, he said you need bad stuff to happen to know when it's good times.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
yes
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@A-R-O-S-E
This is completely incorrect.

In fact, the opposite can be true.

The lack of light can exist without any light at all. Nothingness, darkness, silence etc can exist entirely alone but everything, darkness, silence etc respectively can't exist without the former.

If you don't understand this, you don't understand how we draw the concept of there being light, sound or anything at all. The dark is the default, by default. Yes, it's a defaulted default. If you have a universe of all light, or constant orgasm, joy, excitement etc that becomes the mundane, ordinary default state (by default) that we seek to get 'better than' feel something 'different from' etc.

In fact we only were able to evolve endorphins and dopamine motivations because we were the species, aside from dolphins, that most rationed it. In other words, all dumber species (insects especially) feel a much more constant rush of joy, satisfaction, excitement etc than we do. It is due to our superior intelligence and intricately developed emotional framework that we correctly default to much more bored, sad, unstimulated etc than other species do. This is what then drives us to do the most in the search of the happiness and such.   
Athias
Debates: 20
Athias
-->
@A-R-O-S-E
In other words, is value relative? And the answer is simply yes. How you polarize it is subjective. Think of a number scale, where happiness is all positives integers (you can include rational numbers for nuance) and sadness is all negative integers. The point of reference is 0, which can be analogized to apathy or indifference.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
I don't know.

But I do know that those who truly have happiness can find peace even in adverse situations.

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
For the most part, life is mundane, and true happiness is a momentary thing.

Finding contentment within the mundane is more important.

Assumed badness is usually of our own making, and often as a result of trying to exceed our limitations.

Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
"Godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out. And having food and raiment let us be therewith content. But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition."