Is it possible that society's acceptance of mental illness has gone too far?

Author: Exile

Total: 3
Exile
Debates: 8
Exile
Below is a link to a VERY perplexing op-ed from the New York Times about pedophilia and how it should be excused as a mental disorder rather than a crime. It even goes as far to say that our legal system oppresses pedophiles. I found this article to be very distasteful and it made me wonder as to whether or not society will ever draw a line in what is excusable by mental disorder. 

TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Exile
that's nothing new they are jumping on the leftist bandwagon, since you can pick and choose your sex at whatever whim you wish, they are trying to normalize all these disorders, no one should be suprised.
there was the woman in government, i forget, said something about changing age of consent to 10 years old.  I'm sure you can find it.
dustryder
Debates: 5
dustryder
-->
@Exile
I don't think you understood the article fully. The article is making a distinction between pedophilia, the state of being sexually attracted to minors which is completely legal, and pedophilic acts, gratifying those sexual attractions which invariably harms minors and is illegal. Or in otherwords, having thoughts is not a crime, acting on those thoughts is a crime.

I personally agree with the author. If someone has recognised that their desires are wrong and wishes to get help, he/she should be able to get help instead of being shunned by society despite doing nothing wrong.