Huey Long was really a good guy that did good things despite the fact he was basically a dictator

Author: billbatard

Total: 8
billbatard
Debates: 75
billbatard
Huey long did much more good than harm for the common folkĀ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMUx4AQl5tI
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@billbatard
Louisiana is a shithole and is a place industrious people yearn to migrate away from. One of the only states to reelect a convicted felon.

Huey Long was so batshit crazy and corrupt even FDR wanted him dead. Long's legacy for Louisiana is decades of extortion and corruption with most of the petroleum industry moving to Texas.
bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
More of a McCarthy man myself.
billbatard
billbatard
Huey long imporved the shit holse status of louisian for thecomon man he built roads universities charity hospitals housing, he was the king fish

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@billbatard
No doubt he did all those good things, My dad used to take me to the movies as a kid over the HPL bridge every weekend. Its a fun ride since the bridge is really high up with low guard rails so you can look down at the river.....but Huey's real legacy isn't those things, it's a classical lesson in the ends not justifying the means because he set the precedence for the unique crony politics plaguing Louisiana today.

What do you know about Governor Edwin Edwards? He was divinely inspired by Huey Long.
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
-->
@Greyparrot
You're describing a Louisiana that used to exist. We haven't had an insane populist governor since the 1990s. Having lived in the northern part of the state all my life, I'd have to describe it as "not too bad". It's definitely a full part of the first world, or so to speak, though maybe not exactly the richest state in the union. If I want a good career I might have to move away at some point but overall I'm glad to live here.

Also:
The fact that Huey P. Long got elected on a platform of "Every man a king" astounds me. Were people really that gullible?
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@Swagnarok
I used to hunt in the woods near Natchitoches.
billbatard
billbatard
he is my hero