Did any debater change your mind on an issue?

Author: Trent0405

Total: 15
Trent0405
Debates: 33
Trent0405
0nce for me, My debate with Oro called "Germany is more powerful than France, As of now."

How bout you.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
blamonkey helped me gain an understanding of how manipulating the audience's norms/values matters more than logic. It began on Debate Island but snowballed as I watched other debaters and picked up on them doing what he does, saw myself lose to it etc. Until I met blamonkey, I believed that debate was simply logical warfare but he showed me that the emotional manipulation wasn't an ailment of debate; it was a necessity and part of persuasion in many scenarios outside of debating as well.

This sounds like I am saying I think he isn't skilled. On the contrary, the fact that he has the brain for logic but uses such brilliant rhetoric and knows how to angle things in debates such that the audience can't help but vote for him, highlights an extreme discipline and comprehension of how to get inside the voters' heads that I strive to equal some day.
blamonkey
Debates: 24
blamonkey
-->
@RationalMadman
Thanks! I learned about how to debate from you too.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@blamonkey
I doubt it was more than learning how to not debate ;) but thanks anyway.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
did any debate change your opinion, if so which one.

Semantically yes, not so much on this website. More DDO, DI, CD as I was evolving my opinions. On this website still yes somewhat. I would say that Blamonkey made me see reasons to dislike Jury Nullification, but I didn't budge at all on it, just got to see some good reasons to perhaps take the other side seriously. It's kind of like Nigel Farage with Brexit; great points but when you actually understand reality, he's on the wrong side.
https://www.debateart.com/forum/topics/1383/ama-rm?page=2&post_number=31

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
RM helped me learn rhyme scheming better and flow but that doesn't count 
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Trent0405
No actually.

Mainly my mind changing occurs away from the site seeing evidence.

I guess it would be better to add that into DA as well but it is not the same thing when a person is trying to be convincing whereas I can see the facts and interpret as I see fit.

I saw the facts and became a liberal. I saw arguments on DDO that came from Thoht and still didn't even change my mind even though I did respect him before I was a liberal. It was more than facts. It was something that I had a connection too. When I learnt someone found it is so easy to state how wrong it was I couldn't simply avoid the reality of what I didn't do which is even bother to know my own positions. I still am really lazy but I think I have the most important things down. I just can't bothered to talk about to a greater detail without it being something I really am interested it. Very specific topics are difficult to get me to care. 

Hope this is good enough.

Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@Trent0405
A few times, but mostly it's subtle enough shifts that we don't even notice.

A good example recently was a math debate, I even explain it in my vote: https://www.debateart.com/debates/1392/vote_links/3501

Caleb refined my opinions on abortion when I debated him: https://www.debateart.com/debates/1024/should-abortion-be-made-illegal
I am now listing one of the tactics I employed, as an off topic Kritik in the guide I'm writing.

94 days later

Alec
Debates: 42
Alec
-->
@Trent0405
Blamonkey changed my mind on the military.  That person is very smart.
Trent0405
Debates: 33
Trent0405
-->
@Alec
Definitely.

9 days later

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
never have changed my mind about my beliefs since I have been here
Tejretics
Debates: 7
Tejretics
DDO, including debates on DDO, basically shaped 95% of what I believe right now.

The most immediate example I can think of is FourTrouble's debates defending drug legalization.
coal
Debates: 6
coal
-->
@Tejretics
You're young and impressionable, and being open minded is good.

Most of the beliefs I have now, though, I didn't have until I was 21-24 or so. 

Tejretics
Tejretics
DDO, including debates on DDO, basically shaped 95% of what I believe right now.
To clarify this, my current political opinions weren't because I was convinced by debates. DDO introduced me to a mode of thinking which allowed me to form independent opinions on things. 

Tejretics
Tejretics
-->
@coal
Fair enough.