GOP presidential candidate believes Trump should be executed?

Author: Imabench

Total: 7
Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
Before I dive into this let me just bring up a few basics

1 - Bill Weld is a politician who is currently 'challenging' Trump for the GOP nomination
2 - Last cycle, Bill Weld was the VP candidate for human airhead Gary Johnson of the Libertarian Party
3 - In his attempt to build up legitimacy for his primary campaign, Bill Weld recently appeared on MSNBC and accused Trump of committing Treason

Here's where it goes into crazy town

4 - Without literally ANY prompting from the interviewer, Weld immeidately brought up the penalty for treason in the US being execution after accusing Trump of committing it. 

His literal words were: 

"Talk about pressuring a foreign country to interfere with and control a U.S. election. That's not just undermining democratic institutions. That is treason. It's treason pure and simple, and the penalty for treason under the U.S. code is death. That’s the only penalty"

Now that we're up to speed on things, lets dive into this.

========================================================================================

Of all the stupid FUCKING things that have EVER been said in presidential elections. I don't think that a single one ever had an instance of one candidate implying that another candidate/incumbent should be EXECUTED for actions they made in their tenure. Not John Adams vs Thomas Jefferson, not John Quincy Adams vs Andrew Jackson, not Roosevelt vs Taft vs Wilson, not Kennedy vs Nixon, not even Trump vs Clinton..... NO candidate of any major or minor party has ever advocated or implied that a sitting president or another candidate should be executed for their actions. 

Im sure there have been some colorful insults between candidates that might have come close to at least suggesting such a thing, but this is something entirely different. What makes this even more outrageous is that THEYRE PART OF THE SAME PARTY. Trump and Weld are both members of the GOP. 

Sure, Weld could be accused of being a turncoat since he literally campaigned as a Libertarian candidate in 2016 only to then 2-3 years later flip back to being a Republican, but the fact that one candidate has suggested another should be executed for their actions is such an unprecedented claim for anyone to make that all other details are just silver linings at this point. 

If a (supposed) GOP candidate accuses a fellow GOP candidate of being worthy of execution, I shudder to think what the hell happens in future election campaigns. 2016 certainly had its lows in terms of civility as most of us remember, but if we're getting this type of stuff in a primary that is already over (for the GOP at least), then it can really go downhill from hill barring some sort of existential threat that unites people together.

Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
Forget demonizing. Demonslaying is the new thing.
TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Imabench
I'm not surprised, this is but another symptom of the violent, disrespectful etc etc society that is continuing a downward spiral.  The days of common courtesy are all but gone.  Opening doors for women is sexist etc, you get the idea.  This has been leaking into our "leaders"  They are not immune from this deterioration.
I'm glad you are shocked and sad that I am not.
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@TheDredPriateRoberts
Guilty until proven innocent society.
ILikePie5
Debates: 2
ILikePie5
-->
@Greyparrot
Guilty until proven innocent society.

Us men gotta stick together in the MeToo Era
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@ILikePie5
Men don't need to be silenced by savage jealous bitches.
Mharman
Debates: 18
Mharman
All I have to say is jeez.