Blocking Someone Then Tagging Them in Posts

Author: Discipulus_Didicit

Total: 13
Discipulus_Didicit
Debates: 9
Discipulus_Didicit
I have never blocked anyone and doubt I ever will. The only reason I can think of to do so is if someone spams me with notifications - something that has never happened but if it ever did I could just report them for spamming.

I have however been blocked by at least two users. In the first case after I was blocked we proceeded to ignore each other and go about our business until they were eventually perma banned from the site. This seemed to me the mature way of going about things.

The second case started just recently. After being blocked I assumed that this person did not want to hear from me anymore so out of respect for that wish I did not try to talk to them anymore, though I saw no reason to avoid talking to other people on threads that the person that blocked me had created. In one such thread the user that blocked me has attempted to strike up conversation with me several times by tagging me in posts but I have hesitated to respond.

I am worried that it would be rude of me to talk to them if they have blocked me because I thought that blocking meant you did not want to hear from that person. On the other hand I do not want to come off as the petty 'silent treatment' type either. That would be just as childish.

So since I have never encountered a situation like this my question is twofold. First, what is generally considered the proper etiquette for handling a situation where someone blocks you then tries to talk to you? Second, what if anything does the CoC say about communicating with someone that has expressed their disinterest in communication by blocking you?
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Rules of the game, cous, learn how it works before bitching and moaning.

There's a block button on my profile. Click it. Then we're square.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
-->
@RationalMadman
Or ya'll could like... you know, unblock eachother, and maybe exchange ceremonial peace muffins or something.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Mopac
I never blocked RM and likely never will. There is simply no reason to do so.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
RM has a reputation for exercising his ability to block people.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
Complain - To express dissatisfaction or annoyance with something.

What reason is there to use this word where it clearly does not apply? such as here:

One possible explaination is that the person making the 'you are complaining' accusation does not know what the word means. There is another more likely explaination in this case however:

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Mopac
Which would make sense if he did it because he wanted to be left alone. I would just leave him alone. That is not his motivation though so I am unsure as to the proper etiquette.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Imagine the etiquette of a mental hospital.

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
First, what is generally considered the proper etiquette for handling a situation where someone blocks you then tries to talk to you?

Second, what if anything does the CoC say about communicating with someone that has expressed their disinterest in communication by blocking you?
Oh the first one is the best. if someone who blocks you tries to talk to you, you can respond as much as you want and eventually they forget to check the conversation because they don't get the notification that you've responded since they blocked you. Its almost guaranteed you get to have the last word in a conversation before the other person forgets to check the convo. So just exploit that until the person stops tagging you because eventually they realize they're settting themselves up for constant failure/humiliation

As for the CoC and shit, it's not outlawed or anything like that so there's not much you can do to legally have them stop doing what theyre doing.... You might be able to ask the mods for a restraining order to just flat out shut down all communciation, but im not sure how often they green light those requests

bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@Discipulus_Didicit
Blocks have no force in the COC. You may mention and reply to those who have blocked you if you wish, as long as your individual posts don't violate the COC on some other ground.

Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@Imabench
Its almost guaranteed you get to have the last word in a conversation before the other person forgets to check the convo. So just exploit that until the person stops tagging you because eventually they realize they're settting themselves up for constant failure/humiliation

Oooh, now that sounds fun.

As for the CoC and shit, it's not outlawed or anything like that so there's not much you can do to legally have them stop doing what theyre doing...

I was more worried about the possibility that I might be violating some rule by seeking conversation with someone that has indicated they do not wish to converse. I'm generally not bothered by anything anyone does on some random website, the only exception being spam. Spam is irksome.
Discipulus_Didicit
Discipulus_Didicit
-->
@bsh1
Got it, thanks.