Donald Trump should withdraw from the race and have Ivanka run in 2020

Author: Imabench

Total: 13
Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
I had this fairly weird idea recently (the title) and just wanna think aloud in this thread about why this could arguably be the best move for Trump to pull off at this moment, both for himself and for the country as a whole

As part of this side gig I have (online transcriptionist: I type out shit that is heard in videos for cash) I somehow managed to score a job transcribing a gig where Ivanka Trump visited a Lockheed Martin HQ in I think Colorado as part of a meeting to discuss closing the skills gap in the workforce and stuff. The way Ivanka Trump handles herself is unlike her father Donald Trump in damn near every regard. You can probably google any speech she's given and can tell that she is at least 7 levels above her father in terms of having her shit together and being able to form rational thoughts. 

I believe that if she were the one who was representing the GOP in 2020, running in place of her father, she would win the election and beat whoever the Dems put out (Warren, Trump, or Biden).... Not only do I think she would win, I think it is something the GOP should do and that America would overall be better off compared to where we are now. Here's why. 

1 - Ivanka would not carry Donald's baggage. 

Donald Trump has no shortage of actions that Dems can use as rallying cries against his re-election. Locking kids in camps at the border, Russian interference in elections, cozying up to dictators and alienating our allies, the Ukraine thing currently playing out, tax reform that screws over the middle class, etc. All of that are massive issues the Trump campaign has to overcome in order to get re-elected. If Ivanka is made the nominee though, everything that her father did becomes pretty much irrelevant. Ivanka can put forth her own policies and recycle the "I would have done things differently' line as much as needed to, and given how articulate and rational she is compared to her father, Im fairly certain that most people would believe her. Even Democrats I think would be willing to buy the idea that Ivanka would not have done even 7% of the stuff her father has done over time, it would essentially be giving the GOP a clean slate to work with in terms of campaigning for the White House in 2020. Should she win, her administration would almost certainly be smoother and more beneficial than Donald Trumps administration, simply due to the astounding rate of fucking up that her father carries out. 

2 - The GOP would coalesce behind her and support her as the nominee. 

The percentage of Republicans who approve the job that Donald Trump has done is I think around 88%. I'm willing to bet that the portion who like the President and also like Ivanka is even higher then that, and that even Republicans who don't like Trump would support Ivanka if she were the nominee. Ivanka could unite the base in a way that Trump could not, since Ivanka could play up the beneficial pieces from Donald's administration as much as she wanted while also offering her own vision on how she would do things a bit differently. Trump republicans will support her since she is from the family, and Non-Trump republicans would be open to supporting her since she is also different from her father, in that she is not a vile person and can speak in complete sentences that stay on topic, among other things..... The GOP does have a bit of an issue with alienating longtime conservatives who have been part of the party, Ivanka as the nominee would do a lot to bring them back into the base which would help them in 2020

3 - Things would be (somewhat) civil again. 

Regardless of your opinions on Trump, I think everyone of all political beliefs would believe that things would be a lot less ugly and scandalous if Ivanka was the one representing the GOP in the election compared to Donald. I cant name a single Ivanka tweet that caused a scandal or ended up on the media that wasnt reported out of irony for what her father is doing at around the same time the tweet is sent out. Everyone regardless of political beliefs would also probably buy the idea that Ivanka would show a lot more restraint when it comes to attacking her opponent, whoever they may be, in both terms of quantity and quality..... if she won the election, I am also certain that things would be more civil compared to if a Democrat was put in the White House, since under a democratic administration there will likely be outright dogfighting (so to speak) when it comes to passing legislation, whereas an Ivanka administration would likely operate things more smoothly. If people prefer just having a sense of normalcy and calm in Washington more than anything else, they would gravitate more towards Ivanka as the GOP nominee since she has the best opportunity to make things orderly again. 

4 - She would defeat any primary challenger from the GOP ranks. 

The fact that Ivanka is from the Trump family would convince 80% of potential GOP candidates from trying to primary against her. She basically represents all the positive aspects of the Trump family compared to Donald and his eldest sons. Because Donald has such high support from the party, it's logical to assume that support would transfer over to Ivanka, arguably in even greater numbers since conservatives pissed off at Trump would find Ivanka more acceptable, and make a possible primary challenge against her unwinnable. Who in the GOP would even try to campaign against her? Pence? Lindsey Graham? You need to have a spine in order to run for president, neither of whom have that..... Ivanka would coalesce support of the GOP base behind her since she could play off the traits people like about Donald while also distance herself from him on issues where there is controversy. It's the same shit that Biden has been doing as Obama's former VP, and he's currently leading the Dem nomination (mostly)

Imabench
Imabench
5 - She has some respectable positions on certain issues. 

Every once in a while, Ivanka seems to be put in charge of a minor initiative for something that people can get behind. Paid maternity leave, LGBT protections, even climate change and healthcare are all things that Ivanka has highlighted as issues that deserve attention, which could sway independent voters who think the GOP is pulling further and further to the right to stop and reconsider. If you ask any democrat who they would prefer to have in the White House, Ivanka or Donald, Im pretty certain that the results would be almost unanimous in favor of Ivanka. Even if Ivanka only gets 2 or 3 things right in the White House under her own administration, that would probably be 2 or 3 times more than the number of things that Donald got correct as President in the opinion of Democrats...... Following the loss in 2016, the GOP released a report indicating that they needed to find ways to expand their base to remain competitive in future elections, Ivanka would be able to pull that off simply from being open minded about many things that most Republican candidates have never once even thought to give a shit about. 

6 - Donald Trump could bank a second term for the future. 

If Ivanka replaced Donald as the nominee, Donald Trump can still hang on to a potential second term in his back pocket for as long as he wants to. Right now is arguably the worst time for Donald to try to win a re-election campaign given the number of scandals, fuckups, and sheer firepower Dems currently have to use against him. By punting a potential second term into the future, likely after an Ivanka administration that goes much smoother, Donald could try to run for re-election again at a later time if he chose to do so, and would likely have better odds of winning if hes following up his daughter's administration that is more successful than his.... 

Thats all I got right now, thanks for reading if you peeled through all of this, just wanted to organize my thoughts on the idea and see where it went. 

TheDredPriateRoberts
Debates: 0
TheDredPriateRoberts
-->
@Imabench
man that would be so fascinating to see it all play out, very thought provoking.  Seem meme of her and Candice Ownes for president, though I think Ownes was in for v.p.
I'd vote for them.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
Off the top I would say that Trump's ego would never allow it. He is a malignant narcissist who sees others only in how they can give him what he wants. I don't think he is capable of giving up the presidency without being forced to.

Second, he doesn't see Ivanka as his "heir". He sees Donald Jr. as his heir. They have been trying to groom him for a run at politics. They want him to carry on the political dynasty, despite him being an idiot. 

Third, depending on who the dems nominate, I don't think Ivanka could win. She doesn't have her father's weird ability to shrug off controversy. Donald was able to win because people think he's garbage. They heard him say he likes to sexually assault women on tape, but it just didn't matter to alot of people because that is exactly the kind of thing they expect of him and they supported him anyway. Ivanka has a little bit of the class her father wishes he had. Which means people will actually expect her to not be a monster. Her support of Trump's horrible, horrible policies would sink her in a way that Donald has managed to avoid. 
Christen
Debates: 5
Christen
-->
@Imabench
Donald Trump has no shortage of actions that Dems can use as rallying cries against his re-election.
Except you don't win an election simply by trying to use a man's actions as rallying cries against him. Hillary Clinton tried that in 2016 and she lost.
You win an election by convincing the audience that they should vote for you, that your policies will help them and this country, and that you are the best choice.
Democrats lose when they focus only on attacking people and waste time using someone's actions as rallying cries.

Locking kids in camps at the border
If they don't want to get locked up, don't come to the border in the first place. Simple as that.

Russian interference in elections
There's no evidence for this.

cozying up to dictators and alienating our allies
What dictator did he cozy up to? What ally did he alienate?

the Ukraine thing currently playing out
The situation for this is developing, so we need to wait a bit.

tax reform that screws over the middle class
How does Trump's tax reform screw over the middle class?

All of that are massive issues the Trump campaign has to overcome in order to get re-elected.
I love how you only talk about the "bad" things about Trump, while leaving out the good things he did, to make it seem as if he's only done bad things and never any good things.

Even Democrats I think would be willing to buy the idea that Ivanka would not have done even 7% of the stuff her father has done over time
What is "7% of the stuff" supposed to mean? Are you saying mathematically that, for every 100 things that Trump does, Ivanka would only do 7 of those things? Does this include the good things, bad things, or both?

it would essentially be giving the GOP a clean slate to work with in terms of campaigning for the White House in 2020.
What is "a clean slate" supposed to mean? When has that even mattered?

Should she win, her administration would almost certainly be smoother and more beneficial than Donald Trumps administration
Smoother? What is that supposed to mean? What do you mean by smoother?

More beneficial than Donald Trump's administration? Beneficial to who? Beneficial how? Is it simply because she is not as well known as Donald Trump or something?

simply due to the astounding rate of fucking up that her father carries out.
Hillary Clinton tried that, remember? She tried betting her 2016 presidential election victory on "the astounding rate" of F'ing up that Trump carried out, and she still lost. If she couldn't do it, even when she had the popular vote, what makes you think anyone else can?

By that logic, I myself could run for president and have a high chance of winning due to the astounding rate of F'ing up that the current president has done, whether it's Donald Trump, Barack Obama, or someone else who a bunch of people don't like.

I would rather have Donald Trump finish his full 8-year 2016-2024 term and then have Ivanka or Melania take over in 2024.

A lot of people, including myself, ultimately don't care what Donald Trump did before he became president. We care about what he will do as president, and what he promises us. He promised to cut down on illegal immigration, bring back jobs, and secure our borders, and he did just that.

That's the problem with liberals. It's not that they're stupid or anything. It's that they focus on things that ultimately don't matter in the long run.
It would be better if they disliked Trump because they didn't agree with his policies or his goal of building a border wall or something, but no, they dislike Donald Trump because of some random locker-room talk nonsense that happened over a decade ago. Instead of disliking Donald Trump because of his plans of changing this country, they dislike him over random tweets that nobody will care about in a year or two. Instead of disliking Donald Trump for maybe not doing a good enough job at improving this country or something, they dislike Donald Trump because.... oh I don't know.... the way he walks, the way he talks, the way he speaks, the way he dresses, his orange hair, or some other trivial thing, instead of focusing on the policies and actions that will drastically change this country.
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
Ivanka wouldn't have the stomach to endure deep state attacks and 90% crony corporate unfavorable media coverage.

Also, her lack of narcissism means she would be more likely to go along to get along, which isn't what the country needs more of right now.
Imabench
Imabench
By that logic, I myself could run for president and have a high chance of winning due to the astounding rate of F'ing up that the current president has done
Well the example wouldn't qualify for in this case since you're equally as brainless and unknowledgeable as Trump is based on your responses. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@Imabench
Ivanka can't fucking stand him, she also can't divorce him. I feel bad for her and the country if this happens because frankly she's his puppet so it's no difference.
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
Except you don't win an election simply by trying to use a man's actions as rallying cries against him. Hillary Clinton tried that in 2016 and she lost.

Trump did it to Muslims, Hispanic Immigrants, Hillary and all other Republicans than himself and won by this exact strategy. LOL!
Imabench
Imabench
-->
@RationalMadman
I honestly dont get the level of hatred that Ivanka and Melania have received.... Theyre both at least 90% smarter and better as people than Trump or any of the guys in the bloodline, and overall first ladies and first daughters have zero influence or impact on presidential administrations and dont deserve any blowback over decisions those administrations make in the first place..... Melania, Ivanka, Michelle Obama, Laura Bush, all of them have caught varying levels of shit in their careers and all of them arguably would be better presidents than their husbands. 
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Christen
If they don't want to get locked up, don't come to the border in the first place. Simple as that.
That's the same logic as saying, "if she didn't want to get raped, she shouldn't have dressed like that and gotten drunk". That's stupid. Other people's actions don't give you permission to abuse them. 

There's no evidence for this.
This was referring to Russian interference. I'm not even sure how to respond to this. There is literally mountains of evidence. 

What dictator did he cozy up to? What ally did he alienate?
He cozied up to Kim Jong Un (said they were in love). He cozied up to Rodrigo Duterte ,a man who says he'd be happy to to murder 3 million drug addicts. Trump considently praises him and the direction he's taking his country. There's also Xi from china, Erdogan from Turkey, Putin from russia etc. 

What allies did he alienate? pretty much all of them. He's seriously pissed off mexico. Called Canada a national security threat. He leaked classified info Israel gave the US without asking them. The list is extensive. 

How does Trump's tax reform screw over the middle class?
The middle class cuts are temporary. The cuts for the rich are permanent. They removed alot of tax deductions from the middle class. So teachers, truckers etc are all much worse off. And when the tax cuts go away in a few years they will be even more worse off. 

HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Imabench
I honestly dont get the level of hatred that Ivanka and Melania have received.... Theyre both at least 90% smarter and better as people than Trump
Are they? I've never seen much evidence of that. From melania wearing a jacket saying "I don't care, do you?" while a scandal about children locked in cages was raging to Ivanka's constant defense of Trump's indefensible behavior. Ivanka sometimes gives very limited critiques of some policies, but I have never seen any evidence from her that she is particularly smart, has any morals or even that she isn't a criminal.

There are still unanswered questions about her involvement in potential crimes related to the inauguration committee. She was both managing a property used for a party as well as being on the inauguration committee (a charity). She instructed staff to jack up the price of renting the property while directing the charity to pay it. Thus she potentially criminally used charitable donations to directly profit herself and her family. From where i'm sitting she looks pretty much like Donald with a touch more class. 

Christen
Debates: 5
Christen
-->
@HistoryBuff
That's the same logic as saying, "if she didn't want to get raped, she shouldn't have dressed like that and gotten drunk".
No it's not because 1) rape is against the law, while having immigrants come to the border, request asylum, and go through the entire asylum process is not against the law, and 2) rape can happen to just about anyone, while detention only happens to those who come to the border.

ARRIAGA, Mexico — Several thousand Central American migrants turned down a Mexican offer of benefits if they applied for refugee status and stayed in the country's two southernmost states, vowing to set out before dawn Saturday to continue their long trek toward the U.S. border.

Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto announced what he called the "You are at home" plan, offering shelter, medical attention, schooling and jobs to Central Americans in Chiapas and Oaxaca states if they applied, calling it a first step toward permanent refugee status. Authorities said more than 1,700 had already applied for refugee status.

But after one of the caravan's longest days of walking and hanging from passing trucks, the bulk of the migrants were boisterous Friday evening in their refusal to accept anything less than safe passage to the U.S. border.

"Thank you!" they yelled as they voted to reject the offer in a show of hands in the town of Arriaga. They then added: "No, we're heading north!"

Other people's actions don't give you permission to abuse them.
This is either true or false, depending on which "actions" we're talking about, and what you mean by "abuse".

Yes you can argue that a woman's actions of dressing attractively does not automatically give a criminal legal permission to rape and abuse them, but no you cannot argue with a border agent about whether or not your actions of coming to the border and trying to get into this country give them permission to do their job and detain you so you can go through the process.

He cozied up to Kim Jong Un (said they were in love). He cozied up to Rodrigo Duterte ,a man who says he'd be happy to to murder 3 million drug addicts. Trump considently praises him and the direction he's taking his country. There's also Xi from china, Erdogan from Turkey, Putin from russia etc.
I'm pretty sure he just doesn't want any conflicts with them, so it makes sense to try and make peace with others to avoid potential conflict, doesn't it?

He's seriously pissed off mexico. Called Canada a national security threat. He leaked classified info Israel gave the US without asking them.
How did he upset Mexico, and where did he call Canada a national security threat? In a tweet? In a youtube video?
What classified info did he leak?...... wait never mind. It's classified, so neither you nor I would actually know that, heh!

Also what "mountains of evidence" are there that there was Russian interference/collusion?

I'm also pretty sure his tax plans have helped us, not hurt us, even though the plans aren't perfect and may have flaws. http://archive.fo/VYrsA

I have never seen any evidence from her that she is particularly smart, has any morals or even that she isn't a criminal.
How does one provide "evidence" that they are "particularly smart"? Do you want her to show you her middle school, high school, and/or college test scores or something? Do you need her to take an IQ test and mail you the results?

If she was a criminal, don't you think she'd be put on trial for it, or be locked up for it by now? Do you want to put her through a background check or something to confirm that she isn't a criminal?

There are still unanswered questions about her involvement in potential crimes related to the inauguration committee.
Don't you think it's better to wait until somebody answers these "unanswered questions about her involvement in potential crimes" before jumping to the conclusion that she's a criminal?