Public Service Announcement from the Church of Sweden

Author: Swagnarok

Total: 11
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
In a tweet dated back to, strangely enough, December of last year, the Church of Sweden tweeted that:

"Jesus of Nazareth has now appointed one of his successors, Greta Thunberg."

Based on their follow-up tweet in response to the controversy that ensued, in which they apologized for hurt feelings but also declared that "Our meaning has been to talk about Jesus Christ in our own way", it would appear that they weren't kidding.
This kid, who has championed a social cause unrelated to religion and who has made little in way of personal sacrifice pursuant to such, is evidently now regarded as a saint at least by the Church of Sweden and a new messiah superseding Jesus's ministry at most.

...Which is why European Christianity is a joke. "We're behind you and the good work you're doing" is one thing. This is just, ugh.
Swagnarok
Debates: 7
Swagnarok
Okay, wait. Turns out this wasn't the nationwide Church of Sweden but only a local parish called Limhamn. And the guy might've gotten fired for it.
So...nevermind.
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
The Church of Sweden is Lutheran.

The best thing about Martin Luther is that being a good German he drank(and hated Jews... wait, no that isn't a good German), and when he drank he was notorious for talking MAD TRASH. Some of it pretty funny.

I am pretty sure Luther if saw the state of the church that bears his name today would be appalled. Even Luther, despite his justification by faith alone theology recognized antinomianism as a heresy. I am pretty sure he would be offended at the wishy washy ELCA here in America. Not really sure what Lutheranism looks like in Sweden.

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
I love it when American Christians talk shit about European Christians. Do you realise who colonised the Americas?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@RationalMadman
The state of "Christianity" in America is overwhelmingly protestant in mentality. Basically, people just pick and choose what they like, or rely too much on their own interpretations of things without consulting what the historical church has believed.

Anarchistic and mostly with amnesia. That is American "Christianity".

American Christianity is very heterodox. Not Orthodox. 

Can't speak so much for Europe. 

RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@Mopac
You're stating the total opposite of the truth. Mormonism is nearly outlawed in almost all Western European because of how extreme it is to brainwash children into, Jehovah's Witnesses are only kept legal if they don't disturb the local community too much. You are barely ever raised to be any particular 'branch', the most 'branchy' thing you're raised is either Catholic (yes, okay) or the Baptist variant of Protestant. Mostly it's just mumbo jumbo, 'one god many forms love all religions' and that's great. It solves many conflicts and is why Europe, on its west, is basically the best continent to live on, politically speaking. Australia certainly is a close second but if you know enough specifics, Australia is pseudo soc-dem, they are basically much more right-wing than Soc-Dem is supposed to be, in subtle ways and bylaws etc. Canada of course qualifies, but there is a very right-wing movement in it that's gaining momentum, so time will tell how long that lasts.

Well, Mormonism is legal but raising your children directly into it, with the polygamy and other shit they do is banned. Actually, I don't see what's wrong with consensual polygamy, but that's because I'm Pagan, not Christian.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@RationalMadman
I was speaking of how it is in America, not Europe. I don't live in Europe. I hear things about Europe.
zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@RationalMadman
All children are brainwashed. Though, data is variable.

It's the nature of things.

So Mopac is as Mopac has become.

And you and I also.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@zedvictor4
I never did understand the stigma behind the.phrase "brainwashing". I certainly would rather have a clean mind than a defiled one.

Harikrish
Debates: 0
Harikrish
-->
@Mopac
I never did understand the stigma behind the.phrase "brainwashing". I certainly would rather have a clean mind than a defiled one.

Is that a confession you have a dirty mind that is defiled or that is your preference if given the choice?
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Harikrish
I am aware of so many of my sins and shortcomings. How much more am I unaware of? 

I pray aloud,

"In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
Glory to thee, our God, glory to thee.

O heavenly King, O Comforter, the Spirit of truth, who art in all places and fillest all things; Treasury of good things and Giver of life: Come and dwell in us and cleanse us from every stain, and save our souls, O gracious Lord.

Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal: have mercy on us.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit: now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen."