Mind Reading

Author: Analgesic.Spectre

Total: 16
Analgesic.Spectre
Debates: 1
Analgesic.Spectre
The Gallant Lab (at UC Berkeley) has recently (2011) developed a technique of modelling "brain activity elicited by static visual patterns and have reconstructed these patterns from brain activity". In other words, by analysing brain activity, these people are capable of replicating images the brain is seeing (to some degree -- the pictures are not the sharpest).

Since 2011, they have been able to hasten the process by using "new motion-energy encoding model that largely overcomes this [slowness]". Albeit, they have not furthered the vividness of images produced.

Whilst this technology is best regarded as primitive, it is sensational that such mind reading capabilities are a reality.

What do you think such technology means for the future? Perhaps you think mind reading will become an incredibly potent force in the legal systems. Perhaps you think mind reading will enhance scam artistry.

http://gallantlab.org/index.php/publications/nishimoto-et-al-2011/
Smithereens
Debates: 2
Smithereens
This isn't mind reading, it's neuroimaging. 
Analgesic.Spectre
Analgesic.Spectre
-->
@Smithereens
This isn't mind reading, it's neuroimaging.

"Thought identification, the use of neuroimaging techniques to read human minds" -- from the 'Mind Reading' article on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_reading).
Smithereens
Smithereens
There aren't any neuroimaging techniques that can read your mind. 
Analgesic.Spectre
Analgesic.Spectre
-->
@Smithereens
There aren't any neuroimaging techniques that can read your mind. 

"Thought identification, the use of neuroimaging techniques to read human minds" -- from the 'Mind Reading' article on Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_reading).

Smithereens
Smithereens
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
The link doesn't say anything, its a redirection page. Youll have to explain your case yourself, starting preferably from what imaging techniques you think can read minds
Analgesic.Spectre
Analgesic.Spectre
-->
@Smithereens
If the link doesn't say anything, how come I'm quoting the part which proves you wrong?
Smithereens
Smithereens
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
You're not.

From the link: 
"Mind reading may refer to:Telepathy, the transfer of information between individuals by means other than the five sensesThe illusion of telepathy in the performing art of mentalismThought identification, the use of neuroimaging techniques to read human minds"

It's literally defining what mind reading refers to, not that mind reading is a thing. You've yet to show me that mind reading is a thing. You can do this by suggesting just one neuroimaging technique that can read minds.
Analgesic.Spectre
Analgesic.Spectre
-->
@Smithereens
Yes, because when they say: "Thought identification, the use of neuroimaging techniques to read human minds," they don't mean to say that any exist, hence why they refer to them.

*facepalm*

If you can't manoeuvre your mouse onto "Thought identification" and press your finger down on the left side of your mouse, then your brain has been blown to smithereens.

We're done.

Smithereens
Smithereens
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
exactly, there aren't any that exist. Do you have an example of a neuroimaging technique that can read minds or nah? This isn't the first time I've asked and you seem to think that you don't need to debate your proposition.
Earth
Debates: 4
Earth
Would you need a warrant to read minds?
Analgesic.Spectre
Analgesic.Spectre
-->
@Earth
I suppose if it's a laborious process, then yes (but maybe not if you're just doing it for fun or personal use). But if the technology developed to the stage wherein you could mind read at a glance, then I don't think so.

What do you think, Earth?
Earth
Debates: 4
Earth
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
I mean that police would need permission to read someone's mind.
Smithereens
Smithereens
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
What happened to your explanation? I've noticed you following me around the forums like a lost child, so I'll just point out that this is the conversation we're waiting for your insights on. What neuroimaging techniques enable mind reading?

789 days later

Lemming
Debates: 6
Lemming
-->
@Smithereens
Somehow externals of a person, seems a bit like mind reading to me.
Whether it's language, body language, physiological reactions, or neuroimages.
secularmerlin
Debates: 0
secularmerlin
-->
@Lemming
When you read this post you will be reading (one of) my thoughts.