Debate pages improvement

Author: DebateArt.com

Total: 27
DebateArt.com
Debates: 0
DebateArt.com
Hi there, I was wondering if you guys have some suggestions regarding additional information that you'd like to see on the debates' pages? And also maybe some new indicators or anything like it for the debates on the debates list page?
A-R-O-S-E
A-R-O-S-E
-->
@DebateArt.com
Add a diamond, twin headed fire breathing dragon
A-R-O-S-E
A-R-O-S-E
Maybe themes, or a way to make them

I prob can with tampermonkey tho

David
Debates: 91
David
-->
@DebateArt.com
Move the link to the rules from the footer to the header. Too many people don't know where to find the rules. Putting it in a more prominate place would be helpful.

Maybe make something like this: https://www.debate.org/debates/?challenge=true and automatically put the open challenges first. 

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@David
Move the link to the rules from the footer to the header. Too many people don't know where to find the rules. Putting it in a more prominate place would be helpful.
It would be difficult to find space for it in the header, I am afraid. On most websites that I know this stuff is always on the bottom :/ What we can do is to add warnings here and there with a link to the rules saying something along the lines of "Hi there, please read the rules <here>".

Not sure about the second suggestion, you want to make open challenges the default sorting algorithm?
David
David
-->
@DebateArt.com
It would be difficult to find space for it in the header, I am afraid. On most websites that I know this stuff is always on the bottom :/ What we can do is to add warnings here and there with a link to the rules saying something along the lines of "Hi there, please read the rules <here>".

Not sure about the second suggestion, you want to make open challenges the default sorting algorithm?

Yeah. Perhaps move the leaderboard to the bottom? 

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
/insertbadjoke

A shrine to SupaDudz would be nice

/insertrealanswer

I would say a feature for things such as rap battles, and minor debates with a smaller character max

AvoidDeath
Debates: 11
AvoidDeath
-->
@DebateArt.com
@Vader
Yes, a designated section for troll debates/rap battles would be nice.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@David
Yeah. Perhaps move the leaderboard to the bottom? 
Nah, the stuff that is used more often should be easier to access. I mean, the rules are read once, whereas the leaderboard is checked probably way more often.

DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Vader
@AvoidDeath
I would say a feature for things such as rap battles, and minor debates with a smaller character max
That would be a separate feature of its own, I am afraid it's too big for the current release that I am working on coz I am just fixing things and adding minor improvements.

But the idea is great, I love it but rap battles are a genre of its own, maybe it would make sense to move it outta the debates scope completely and create a separate website section for them or something like that.
Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@DebateArt.com
A couple things which I believe would be useful inside debates themselves...

First as a reminder, a forfeited icon would be useful. Something related that could be neat is a set of length indicator icons to imply the total character count for the debate (related, but not to be confused with character limits per round).

I've said it before, but people sometimes overlook the color coding. So please add text for pro/con near the top of the debate. Such as on this debate, instead of "Celeb" and "Ragnar" ... "Celeb - Pro" and "Ragnar - Con" ... Probably way too late, but Neg would be a decent term substitute for Con to decrease confusion with contender on the debate setups.

Another thing that would be unendingly useful is their pronouns listed in a similar location (could be an icon under their avatar or one one corner of it?). As safe as the hetero-normative assumptions are currently, making users who are different feel welcome and reminding us to call them something other than HE would be a nice touch (I expect it could slightly contribute to retention of said female and other users). 

On the add vote tab, a link to the voting rules would be good (perhaps not the current page of all site rules, but an abbreviated page of the eligibility requirements and gist of the categorical standards).
WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
The pages thing at the top too.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Barney
First as a reminder, a forfeited icon would be useful
Yep, that's a good one, you have mentioned it in the other thread and it will be done, but probably not for the general list of the debates but for the debates on participants' pages. 

Something related that could be neat is a set of length indicator icons to imply the total character count for the debate (related, but not to be confused with character limits per round).
Could you please elaborate on this one? Do you mean character count from all the published arguments?

I've said it before, but people sometimes overlook the color coding. So please add text for pro/con near the top of the debate. Such as on this debate, instead of "Celeb" and "Ragnar" ... "Celeb - Pro" and "Ragnar - Con" ... Probably way too late, but Neg would be a decent term substitute for Con to decrease confusion with contender on the debate setups.
That's a good one, I will try to add it somewhere. Yeah, English is not my first language and sometimes it complicates things, especially when it comes to the more narrow terminology, so I may have messed some things up. But if you notice any grammar mistakes or simply poor quality texts, please let me know, those are extremely easy to fix.

Another thing that would be unendingly useful is their pronouns listed in a similar location (could be an icon under their avatar or one one corner of it?). As safe as the hetero-normative assumptions are currently, making users who are different feel welcome and reminding us to call them something other than HE would be a nice touch (I expect it could slightly contribute to retention of said female and other users). 
I am afraid you lost me on this one, could you please elaborate?

On the add vote tab, a link to the voting rules would be good (perhaps not the current page of all site rules, but an abbreviated page of the eligibility requirements and gist of the categorical standards).
This one also makes sense but I will try to do it a proper way, I'll talk to the mods about it :)

And thanks a lot, I really appreciate the feedback!
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@WaterPhoenix
The pages thing at the top too.
Hmm?

WaterPhoenix
Debates: 12
WaterPhoenix
-->
@DebateArt.com
Like, the thing that let's you scroll between the debate pages at the top so you don't have to scroll all the way down.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@WaterPhoenix
Like, the thing that let's you scroll between the debate pages at the top so you don't have to scroll all the way down.
Oh got it, thanks. 

Well, it's a design issue, I will try to find a place for it but it may prove to be tricky without messing up the design :/
AvoidDeath
Debates: 11
AvoidDeath
-->
@DebateArt.com
Maybe a debate advertising thing not only on forums. 

Barney
Debates: 49
Barney
-->
@DebateArt.com
...could be neat is a set of length indicator icons to imply the total character count for the debate (related, but not to be confused with character limits per round).
Could you please elaborate on this one? Do you mean character count from all the published arguments?
The sum total yes, as that in turn informs any readers of how long they should budget.

I am afraid you lost me on this one, could you please elaborate?
An indicator if the author is male/female/other.

And thanks a lot, I really appreciate the feedback!
You're most welcome.
PressF4Respect
Debates: 10
PressF4Respect
-->
@DebateArt.com
A feature where you could change names in the profile section would be really helpful.
That way, we wouldn't have to create a new account every time we want a name change.
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@DebateArt.com
If we're going to do a name change thing, moderation needs to be able to see who the accounts were before.
David
David
-->
@bsh1
If we're going to do a name change thing, moderation needs to be able to see who the accounts were before.

I agree with this. Also, should we limit the number of times a user can change their name? 
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@David
@bsh1
@PressF4Respect
It's a bit off topic because I wanted to ask only about improvements for the debate pages but I will implement name change at some point, it's not exactly difficult, and there's definitely going to be a quota on how often it can be done ( not often ) and some tracking logic for the mods and maybe other users too.
Ramshutu
Debates: 43
Ramshutu
-->
@DebateArt.com
I would like to be able to sort debates by the amount of time left in the voting period.

MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
-->
@DebateArt.com
You've already heard my suggestion for adding a "history" category, but another thing could be a way to concede a debate and give an insta-win to the user you are arguing against. That might save a lot of time and energy for full forfeit debates.
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@Ramshutu
Will do, thanks!
DebateArt.com
DebateArt.com
-->
@MisterChris
I've already added `History` on my local dev server so it will be there 100%, I also like the second idea. Could you please create a separate topic about your idea? It could help us see what other people think about it and also maybe some edge cases will be brought up which could complicate the implementation.
MisterChris
Debates: 45
MisterChris
-->
@DebateArt.com
Certainly!