Archived
Read-only
Total: 283
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
Hall of Fame I

Nomination Stage Rules

Welcome to DART's first official Hall of Fame induction process! This thread is for the first stage of that process, namely, the nominations stage. During this stage, users (you) may propose nominees in three categories (users, threads, debates) for inclusion in the Hall of Fame. The nominees with the most nominations in each category (approx. 4-6 per category) will advance to the second stage of the process.

Any user will be able to propose up to three nominees per category for a maximum of 9 nominations per nominating user. Nominators may choose to nominate less than the maximum number if they choose. You may nominate yourself and your own content. The nominating process will close at 10:00pm, EST, on 10/15/19. Nominations proposed after the close of the process will not be considered.

When you propose a nomination, you are permitted to offer a brief justification for, explanation of, or reason for you nomination. Any such justification, explanation, or reason must be confined to the same post in which you made the nomination. Please also bold your nominations to make them more visible. After making a nomination, you may change that specific nomination once (before the close of the nominating process) and only once.

There are no formal criteria for determining who/what can be nominated except that the user, thread, or debate be on DART. However, if I conclude that a nomination is wholly and blatantly incongruous with the purpose of the HOF (that purpose being to highlight good, notable, and/or consequential inductees), I reserve the right to withhold forwarding that nomination to the second stage of the process.

There are no prerequisites or eligibility requirements for users to participate in the Hall of Fame nominating process, except that they have an account on DART and are not voting/nominating from more than one account. Importantly, coordinating votes or launching campaigns for induction are prohibited. Violating these rules will be a moderatable offense. Other violations of the COC (e.g. personal attacks) committed in this thread will be treated severely.

Let's Begin!

With all that said, let the nominating process begin! If you have questions, feel free to ask. Good luck to everyone and best wishes on a fantastic Hall of Fame process. This is a wonderful site and community, and there is so much greatness out there to recognize! I look forward to honoring those contributions and users who have made this site what it is!

warren42
Debates: 2
warren42
I nominate Wylted
Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
I nominate Ramshutu
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
Users:

Virtuoso - excellent handling of disputes from day one of the website to now. In the eyes of many that wanted Bsh1 gone in the early days, me suggesting him to replace you as head mod and Bsh1 to be demoted but not 'fired' was the single best thing at the time to have said. Wylted immediately agreed and eventually the rebellion died down. Virtuoso has been an outstanding moderator, even when you had rudimentary methods of tracking alts and such, he did his level best to work with the user-base and catch the likes of MagicAintReal. If it wasn't for him and Castin, I likely would have quit the website permanently in my early days.

Mopac - Consistent Religion Forums poster. He is a legend around there and not the infamous kind. He holds himself very polite, albeit sarcastic and at times mean with sugar coated wording. His manners and temper are indeed very Christian and he is a worthy representative of his religion, for sure.

Most of the threads I want in HoF are my own so I'll skip threads. Debates are similar but I can offer this one as simply a pleasant read throughout, straightforward and clear wording:

I would like to be able to nominate my own content for threads and debates, but I know that even if it's allowed it's unwise to do so as people look down on that. If any are interested, PM me or mention me here if you're blocked. I'll let you know what I think deserves to be in HoF and why.
Speedrace
Debates: 63
Speedrace
I nominate Virtuoso
bsh1
bsh1
Users

Wylted - 1
Ramshutu - 1
Virtuoso - 2
Mopac - 1

Threads

TBD

Debates

Firing Squad - 1
PressF4Respect
Debates: 10
PressF4Respect
I nominate BLT
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@PressF4Respect
Who?
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@bsh1
The dude who was leading the polls in the pre-nomination stage XD

PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
I actually nominate oromagi
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@PressF4Respect
Ohhhhhhhhhhh...Lol. Well, you can't actually nominate a body part lol...If we could, I'd nominate Thett's twink ass and Ram's sexy right lobe...alas...
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@PressF4Respect
Cool.

And just so everyone knows, you can each nominate 3 people, 3 threads, and 3 debates.
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
-->
@bsh1
Ohhhhhhhhhhh...Lol. Well, you can't actually nominate a body part lol...If we could, I'd nominate Thett's twink ass and Ram's sexy right lobe...alas...
big oof
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
And just so everyone knows, you can each nominate 3 people, 3 threads, and 3 debates.
In that case, I'll nominate Oromagi, Ramshutu,

and RationalMadman (THE LEGEND) 

I'll also nominate this thread:

that's just what I can think of off the top of my head 

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@bsh1
I nominate Supadudz as my third. He is a very inventive and creative member in general and has contributed a lot of time and effort into the community despite being only 15-16.
PressF4Respect
PressF4Respect
@RM
You're welcome

David
Debates: 91
David
I am super excited for the first annual hall of fame. I'd like to begin by thanking those who have nominated me. 

Users

(1) RationalMadman - RM has contributed a lot to this site as evidenced by the fact that he's the first person to receive every single medal. He was also the first to be on the top of the leaderboard and has done literally hundreds of debates in less than a year. 

(2) Mike (DebateArt.com) - Without him, this site would not even exist.

(3) Speedrace - In a few short months, he is one of the users I most respect. I really enjoy his debating style and his overall professional conduct in debates and in the forums.

Debates

(2) Firing Squad Firing Squad is the best form of capital punishment https://www.debateart.com/debates/1235/firing-squad-is-the-best-form-of-capital-punishment

These debates, I believe, are of the highest quality that debateart has to offer. 

Threads

I will think on this more. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@bsh1
Actually, I agree to all three of Virtuoso's debate nominations, please add the other 2 as my own votes.

Thanks for the votes all, though fame as a title is strange. As in is your title 'famous' for all nominees? Do you get a nickname or something to regard your nomination?
bsh1
bsh1
I will now post my nominations. 

Users

DebateArt.com

If any one act is deserving of enshrining in the HOF, it's creating the site. He has been a tireless worker for the site's betterment, an open-minded listener in the quest to find ways to improve site functionality, and a friendly helper where advice is needed. Mike as put his time and energy into DART, and so I think it only fitting that we recognize all that he has done to keep our community alive and well through recognition in the HOF.

Ramshutu

Literally no one has cast more votes on this site than Ram. His votes are--I think most would agree--carefully considered, solidly reasoned, and honestly decided. His forum contributions are often witty, almost always insightful, and bring a welcome dose levity to our conversations here. His work as a voting moderator has been indefatigable and laudable. He is a senior figure on the site, well worth including in the HOF.

RationalMadman

It can be fairly said that no person on the site thus far has been quite as much of a lightening rod as RM. Whether as the focus of the conversation or as an active participant, he is ever-present on the site. He is the second-most prolific poster here, and that metric does not begin to describe how much of an impact he has had here. He and I do not always see eye to eye, but I recognize that he is an integral part of this community. He has made all of our DART experiences what they are, and for that, he should be included in the HOF.

Threads

Appointed Moderators

This thread appointed Virt and myself as moderators of the site. It was this thread that started my now yearlong adventure as a moderator on DART. Indeed, without this thread, DART would literally not be what it is today. Whether you like or dislike current moderation, moderation has shaped the culture of the site, just as it does on any site where it is present. None of the drama that has happened with moderation, none of the rules that now govern the site, none of the suspect votes that have been removed would have been possible heretofore. For that, it should be in the HOF. Link.

About DART: Resources for New Members

This is the go-to resource for all DART-related information. It represents a substantial amount of work and thought invested by myself, Virt, and others, and is the best orientation new members can get to the site. Its inclusion in the HOF would not only be meritorious in its own right, but inclusion would help to increase awareness of this thread so that it can continue to help users acclimate to and navigate this great website. Link.

Hall of Fame Upcoming

#BLT4Life, amirite? I mean, this thread harkened the onset of this site as established. It's been more than a year since this site has been launched, and now its advanced enough to have its own HOF. There has been so much progress since we began together as a community, and the beginning of this process signals just how far we've come. Link.

Debates

Firing Squad is the best form of capital punishment

This was a high-quality debate by two obviously talented debaters--one who I knew well, one who I did not. It clearly generated interest on the site, with a sizable number of comments and multiple votes, and it is a prime example of the civil yet thoughtful debate we want to promote on the site. Lots of interesting clash and clearly well-researched, the excellence of this debate speaks for itself. Link.

Rap battle vs bsh1

This was hella fun for me--it dragged me out of the 18th century. I don't seriously expect it to be nominated. If I were to give some pseudo-serious reason for its inclusion, I'd say that it is an important marker or signpost for moderation's commitment to freedom of speech on DART, even when that speech is controversial. It is evidence that moderation is not all about censorship and cracking the whip...unless that whip is in the bedroom. But mostly, I am nominating it because it tickled my fancy, and tickle it did. Link.

This House, as Israel, would end compulsory military service

We should not just focus on text debates. This is the best live debate I've seen on DART, and it was closely fought by both participants. It was high-quality, detailed, and obviously competently executed. As a debater who earned his chops doing live debates like this, I can appreciate the immense effort put in by both parties here. Plus, Tej's accent...Link.

bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
Users

Whiteflame- In my opinion, Whiteflame is likely the best debater on this site. I have had the pleasure of debating him twice, and both experiences have made me much more informed on my position and the opposing viewpoint. This respectful discourse is what debating is all about! He has also exchanged hundreds of PM's with me discussing a handful of topics. Thank you, sir!

Ragnar- He is a veteran, and he likes Richard Nixon. Each of those alone is enough to win my respect :)
He is a very active voter, experienced debater, and a pleasure to talk to. Truly a pillar of the community.

RationalMadman- He is a legend. I have had great pleasure reading through the comments and forum posts and seeing him say some very wacky things. He has done tons of debates, and I am always excited to hear his point of view on whatever topic comes up. This site would not be the same without him.

Limiting this to just three was incredibly difficult. There are so many intelligent and friendly people on this site. Such a great community! Thank you all.
bsh1
bsh1
Users

Wylted - 1
Ramshutu - 3
Virtuoso - 2
Mopac - 1
Oro - 1
RM - 4
Supa - 1
Mike - 2
Speed - 1
Whiteflame - 1
Ragnar - 1

Threads

HOF Upcoming - 2
Appointed Mods - 1
About DART - 1

Debates

Firing Squad - 3
Jury Nullification - 2
Animal Experiment - 2
Rap Battle - 1
Israeli Military - 1

Christen
Debates: 5
Christen
-->
@RationalMadman
@bsh1
@Barney
@Speedrace
@PressF4Respect
What is all this? What am I supposed to do here? Why are users naming each other?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Christen
On or about the 14th of October, I will post a thread soliciting nominations from the usership in each of the three award categories (users, debates, and threads). Any user will be able to submit up to three nominees in each category for a maximum of 9 nominations per user. Nominators may choose to nominate less than the maximum number if they choose. The nominating window will close on or about the 17th of October. The nominees with the most nominations (approx. 4-6 per category) will advance to the second stage of the process. There are no formal criteria for determining who/what can be nominated; however, if I conclude that a nomination is wholly and blatantly incongruous with the purpose of the HOF (that purpose being to highlight good, notable, and/or consequential inductees), I reserve the right to withhold forwarding that nomination to the second stage of the process.

On or about the 18th of October, I will post a thread soliciting votes from the usership on the finalist nominees in each of the three award categories (users, debates, and threads). Any user will be able to vote for up to three nominees in each category for a maximum of 9 votes per user. Voters may choose to vote less than the maximum number if they choose. The voting window will close on or about the 20th of October. Those nominees with the most votes (3 per category) will be inducted into the DART Hall of Fame. In the event of a tie preventing exactly 3 inductions per category, the voting window will be extended for just those nominees who/which are tied. Those inducted will be formally honored with entries in the Hall of Fame thread. Those entries will be posted within 2 months of the voting period closing.

^ This is not me voting for this thread (which should not be voted for, how the hell is it winning?)
Trent0405
Debates: 33
Trent0405
Users Nomination

Ramshutu

His contributions to the sites moderation musn't be neglected, although it's not the main reason for my choice. He is an undefeated debater with the exception of 1 rap battle debate debate, never afraid to debate many different topics. He stays active and brings on a professionalism that further legitimizes this site as a sanctuary for well mannered productive conversations. He trounces all other users for total votes by far. His assistance on the Kritique guide was also cool.

Rational Madman

RM is possibly the most active user on the website, and one of the small sum of people to top the leaderboards at some point. He is undeniably the debater most willing to debate numerous and unfamiliar topics. He creates plenty of higher quality votes and some astounding activity on the forums. To continue, he has far more debates than any other debater while again being the one and only debater to gather all of the medals.

Ragnar

Ragnar is a very well rounded user, he holds the 2nd most amount of votes that are consistently useful to both debaters, he maintains incredible conduct toward his opponents. His debating and Kritique guide further implore me to place him on my small list of nominations, they've been vital in improving the debate quality on the website. He is one of the most impressive debaters on the website, being undefeated in 22 debates currently, his commitment to debating and abstaining from forfeitures is again stupendous. His forum topics are few but maintain incredible quality that assist in the forums environment and discussions. A debater I respect a ton.

Debate Nomination

Title--Firing squad is the best method of capital punishment.

Title--This House, as Israel, would end compulsory military service

bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Trent0405
It is only possible to nominate 3 per category, but you have nominated 4 users. While I understand all are worthy of nomination, which 3 do you wish to nominate?
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Christen
It's part of a two-stage process to induct users into the site's Hall of Fame. Your other questions I believe are answered in the first post of this thread.
Trent0405
Debates: 33
Trent0405
-->
@bsh1
Well I guess I'll nominate Ragnar Ram and RM than, sorry about that.
bsh1
bsh1
-->
@Trent0405
No need to apologize. Thanks for participating! Feel free to vote in the other categories where you have space left if you see any worthy candidates.
bsh1
bsh1
Users

Wylted - 1
Ramshutu - 4
Virtuoso - 2
Mopac - 1
Oro - 1
RM - 5
Supa - 1
Mike - 2