Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
WTF Trump, I though your foreing policy would be different, another goon
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Trump is an idiot who is easily swayed by people. He had 1 call from the authoritarian leader of Turkey and he decided to sell out an american ally. 

It isn't 100% clear why he did this though. There is a trump tower in Istanbul, so it could be financial.

Trump has been fighting hard to protect the Saudi's from any consequences for the murder of jamal khashoggi. He was murdered in turkey and they hold the evidence of the murder, so it is possible it has something to do with covering up evidence for the Saudis. The trumps get alot of money from Saudi investors and he doesn't want to lose that.

Or it could just be that the "great deal maker" just has the mind of a child and was talked into doing something monumentally stupid. 
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@HistoryBuff
no trump is great but he made a mistake, will go in further later
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@Dr.Franklin
no trump is great but he made a mistake, will go in further later

Go in further to what? To Syria? He has sold out our allies in Syria. They have already made an alliance with Assad and the russians in an attempt to survive the Turkish onslaught. 
Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
-->
@Dr.Franklin
There's still the Senate that has to greenlight the proposal which skews more heavily in the GOP's favor, but even if they do pass it then its on Congress that we are still stuck in Syria rather then pulling out of the region. Specifically maybe Mitch McConnell if he isnt able to keep the GOP from voting with Dems to condemn the move
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Imabench
There's still the Senate that has to greenlight the proposal which skews more heavily in the GOP's favor, but even if they do pass it then its on Congress that we are still stuck in Syria rather then pulling out of the region. Specifically maybe Mitch McConnell if he isnt able to keep the GOP from voting with Dems to condemn the move
It's a bipartisan backlash though, the opposition to the house vote was just 60 votws

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin

Go in further to what? To Syria? He has sold out our allies in Syria. They have already made an alliance with Assad and the russians in an attempt to survive the Turkish onslaught. 

Which is bad, we don't want Russia going into terrorities where WE JUST WERE, Assad and Russia will beat back Turkey but the Kurds will die, no one supports them, They will be left withoiut a home like always, at some point Assad will want his Northern country back
Castin
Castin
Even Trump-supporting Republicans are furious about this. I think there's a higher-than-normal chance for it to go through. But that still doesn't mean it's enough.
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
By the time these doddering morons come to a decision this will have already played out; this region of Syria is very rich in oil and fertile to boost, so both countries will want it. Turkey mainly, IMO, wants to prevent an independent Kurdish state and would probably be less peeved by a return to the status quo ante than by the Kurds seizing power in their own right. All in all, it goes to show how colossally stupid this intervention was from the get go.
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
 the intervention was to kill ISIS, how is that stupid?

ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Dr.Franklin
 the intervention was to kill ISIS, how is that stupid?

Because it wasn't. The intervention was originally launched to undermine Assad, and we did that by funding and arming groups that ended up being allied with ISIS, while our 'allies' like Qatar and Saudia Arabia were themselves supporting ISIS. Then we backed the Kurds, which strained out relationship with Turkey, one of our most important NATO allies.

Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin
-->
@ResurgetExFavilla
No, we backed the Turkish backed rebels.

These rebels combined with Turkey invaded ISIS in 2015 with the CIA training program

Helping the Kurds was good

Nothing to do with throwing Assad away, he has won anyway
ResurgetExFavilla
ResurgetExFavilla
-->
@Dr.Franklin
No, we backed the Turkish backed rebels.
These rebels combined with Turkey invaded ISIS in 2015 with the CIA training program
Timber Sycamore was directly aimed at weakening Assad.

"Given the code name Timber Sycamore, the covert program began slowly, but by 2015 the C.I.A.-backed rebel groups had made significant progress against Syrian forces, pushing into areas of the country long considered to be government strongholds. The offensive gained momentum after the C.I.A. and Saudi Arabia began supplying the powerful tank-destroying weapons to the rebel groups.

But the rebel push in Idlib, Hama and Latakia Provinces in northern Syria also created problems for Washington. The Nusra Front, often battling alongside the C.I.A.-supported rebel groups, made its own territorial gains."

Helping the Kurds was good
It was not, seeing as we were the only thing propping them up and now they cannot stand on their own two feet. Now they are one of the most hated groups in the region, as we used them to undermine and destroy two stable regimes.

Nothing to do with throwing Assad away, he has won anyway
As I already linked, CIA interventions into Syria were directly aimed at weakening government forces. Assad is an ally of Russia, and we launched multiple efforts to undermine Russian allies in the Middle East during this period (most famously, in Libya).
Dr.Franklin
Dr.Franklin

This is about the rebels, stay on topic

Timber Sycamore was directly aimed at weakening Assad.

"Given the code name Timber Sycamore, the covert program began slowly, but by 2015 the C.I.A.-backed rebel groups had made significant progress against Syrian forces, pushing into areas of the country long considered to be government strongholds. The offensive gained momentum after the C.I.A. and Saudi Arabia began supplying the powerful tank-destroying weapons to the rebel groups.

But the rebel push in Idlib, Hama and Latakia Provinces in northern Syria also created problems for Washington. The Nusra Front, often battling alongside the C.I.A.-supported rebel groups, made its own territorial gains."
That is wrong

It was not, seeing as we were the only thing propping them up and now they cannot stand on their own two feet. Now they are one of the most hated groups in the region, as we used them to undermine and destroy two stable regimes.
How So?

As I already linked, CIA interventions into Syria were directly aimed at weakening government forces. Assad is an ally of Russia, and we launched multiple efforts to undermine Russian allies in the Middle East during this period (most famously, in Libya).
How so? Assad won anyway
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
-->
@Imabench
I have a feeling that Trump, who does his own thing, is going to force Congress to go on record voting to keep troops in Syria so the blame can properly go where it belongs when American troops start to die.

If even one American dies, that's donezo for many of the GOP that voted for it, and an easy point to play up during Trump's re-election.