Spirit Day

Author: Vader

Total: 16
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Happy National Spirit Day. A day dedicated to the stopping of bullying irl.

To me, this holiday has a special place in my heart. I have fallen victim to bullying before in my life for being original and displaying my creativity, which I was I tend to never express my creativity IRL because of the constant fear of being bullied in my life. I was bullied immensely, and my administrators and principals did nothing but just say "make up", and when I defended myself from a bully, I was the one who got in trouble.

At 14, I suffered from Gelotophobia, the fear of being laughed at, mocked, etc. I struggled mentally with self esteem and lost passion in life to do something different. 

Now at 16, I am not afraid of my work and what I create. Now it is time for me to help those who are being bullied...
This is an open AMA as well about my experiences being bullied, how you take a stand, and generic FAQs about bullying and school

EDIT: While I know this is more aimed toward LGBTQ Bullying, it can be applied toward normal torment and harassment and bullying...
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@Vader
This is a commendable thread.
Vader
Vader
-->
@bsh1
Thank you. My goal in this thread is to help teens and people that have been bullied be unafraid to share their stories and to learn that they were never in the wrong, as most adults in the day told me, I was in the wrong for being too sensitive 
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
Everyday should be this day, same with mother's day etc.

The key to ending bullying lies in making it clear that the truly humiliating thing to be, is a bully. This reverses their weapon (humiliation) against them. Once people are more terrified of being seen as a bully than as a weirdo, the world be a much better place.
PressF4Respect
Debates: 10
PressF4Respect
-->
@Vader
👏👏👏
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Vader
Well said
David
Debates: 91
David
-->
@bsh1
@Vader
Thank you for this thread. I too have been a victim of bullying and it nearly cost me my life. That said, I think this is a good placed to post the phone number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255. 

bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
-->
@David
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255. 
+1
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
Thank you for this thread. I too have been a victim of bullying and it nearly cost me my life. That said, I think this is a good placed to post the phone number for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255. 

+10000000

I have never suffered from Depression, but my closest friend has, in the school bathroom once with a pocket knife to his hand, Jesus it was terryfying

Vader
Vader
-->
@David
It is better to reach out to a psychologist than to reach out to this. I have had to deal with them once because of a person at my school alarmingly told me his plan where he would take his life, and all they did was ask for social security of that person, despite the scenario in place. 

I talked to someone, and action was done immediately 

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Vader
The helpline is better for the one actually being bullied, not a friend of the bullied person.
Vader
Vader
-->
@RationalMadman
Still...

They do the same thing for the person that wants too. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Vader
Not really, a helpline will only help the one calling. A psychiatrist will actively get help involved if they think the person's life and wellbeing are at risk. You meant psychiatrist most likely, because a psychologist and/or therapist are less likely to be able to justify the breaking of privilege over something like that, whereas the psychiatrist has a hippocratic oath that applies not only to their patients but to all human beings (and in the case of a veterinarian, to all animal beings).
Vader
Vader
-->
@RationalMadman
That's what I meant. I never claim they were ineffective, but I do think they do not recognize urgency and to state it before the procedures occur, is somewhat...disheartening
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Vader
But if you're the suicidal one, a helpline is as confidental and free in the countries that provide it (almost any country that isn't a right-wing 'pay or get no help' mentality nation will provide it but China is an exception, as is North Korea, because they won't let you do it confidentially). It's usually paid for with Charity money but in truly social democracies it's state-funded partially.
Vader
Vader
-->
@RationalMadman
Fair enough