Why are progressives such Warhawks.

Author: Greyparrot

Total: 7
Greyparrot
Debates: 4
Greyparrot
Is it because soldiers are low on the intersectionality scale?

Maybe soldiers represent the 1 percenters?
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
Wanting war is not a left wing or right wing policy. Most progressives want to pull out of iraq and afganistan and stop getting embroiled in stupid wars. I'm assuming you are talking about left wing people being against trump letting the Kurds be massacred. 

You don't have to be a war hawk to think that america should protect it's allies that have been repeatedly promised by the US government that it would support them. Especially when protecting them doesn't cost that much. Turkey couldn't risk accidentally killing US troops. They couldn't begin their invasion if Americans were there. The american troops were not in danger. 
Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
Meanwhile, every progressive Dove is labeled as a Russianbot....
HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@Greyparrot
Meanwhile, every progressive Dove is labeled as a Russianbot....
Maintaining a minimal number of troops in an area that is not involved in active combat is neither a dove nor a hawk idea. It was essentially a peacekeeping mission. But trump lackeys will grasp at any straw to try to defend him. 

Greyparrot
Greyparrot
-->
@HistoryBuff
And Tulsi is a Russian bot
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
I was against pulling troops from iraq
I was against pulling troops from Afghanistan
I am against the move on Syria too

Since the dawn of time, you move in AND YOU STAY THERE FOREVER
blamonkey
Debates: 24
blamonkey
-->
@Greyparrot
Trump relented and redeployed troops back to the Middle East (1). Also, more troops are being stationed in Saudi Arabia (2). I am no progressive, but the plan to withdraw troops seems slapdash. Our nukes at the Incirlik airbase in Turkey, the resurgence of ISIS, the impact on NATO, and even the YPG allying themselves with the Assad regime are all externalities resulting from our withdrawal that should have been considered while the plan was in its initial stages. I do respect the desire to withdraw troops from territory that doesn't belong to us, but that sentiment is supplanted with confusion when the US decides to, in the immediate aftermath of withdrawing troops, place them in another volatile Middle Eastern country to "send a message" (2). It's like sidestepping a truck careening off the road toward you only to accidentally tumble into a murky swamp filled with mutant, hungry alligators. If the goal is to deter Iran from attacking another oil tanker with drones, I am not sure that adding troops does anything to stop a drone attack.

Another possibility: the Turkish incursion will likely lead to hundreds of thousands of displaced people seeking refuge in other countries. A burgeoning refugee crisis when the political appetite to aid others is waning in countries such as Turkey, the UK, and Jordan is the thing we need least right now. The US will probably be partly blamed for our role in facilitating the Turkish incursion and destabilizing the Middle East, adding another blemish to our spotty track record as an international power. 

Alas, I am not sure how to successfully withdraw troops from a region that resembles an inferno engulfing everything in its path. I would suggest that deals from the multifarious parties within Turkey would be a start. Developing sustainable infrastructure would help too. We should have ignored the Syrian quagmire to begin with, but now that we are forced to rip off the proverbial Band-Aid, I doubt that doing so with a rusty scalpel would really be the best solution. That's how you lose an arm.