Bible Study: The Command of Jesus

Author: Mopac

Total: 40
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
The subject matter of this bible study will be the command of Jesus. I ask that if you are wanting to participate, that you are respectful to the subject matter. This will not be a topic to debate the reality of God, validity of the bible, or Christianity. You don't have to be a Christian to take part, just be respectful and open minded.

So to get things going, here are some relevent passages. Give us your thoughts, opinions, application tips, etc. Lets see if we can stay on task.

"This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends."
---
"Charge some that they teach no other doctrine, Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned: From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling; Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm."
 ---
"And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins. Use hospitality one to another without grudging. As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God."
---
"And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us."
---
"Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful."
---
"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity."

SkepticalOne
Debates: 9
SkepticalOne
-->
@Mopac
This will not be a topic to debate the [...] validity of the bible,

In that case, you should not call this a Bible study. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@SkepticalOne
On the contrary, most bible studies are done by people who aren't trying to throw the whole thing out.

So if you would like to give your interpretations or thoughts on the above scriptures, you are welcome. 

The point is that this is the command of Jesus, that we love eachother and show charity.

Outplayz
Debates: 0
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
What do you do in regards to people that don't deserve your love? 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
Bless those who curse you, pray for those who despitefully use you.

When Jesus was crucified, he said, "forgive them, they know not what they do"

But truly, does anyone deserve love? That is why it is called charity.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
Yeah of course some deserve love. But there are certain personalities i cannot love, and furthermore loathe. It's just human nature. They don't deserve my love or charity. Of course there are serial killers and evil people that also fall under the don't deserve any love or charity. If it was up to me... torture would be a punishment to evil. I believe more so in fear than love towards evil. Evil should fear us not expect charity. Let me run things and i bet i would cut violent crime more than half bc no one will want the punishment i would dish out as a consequence. The world is screwed up in my opinion giving said evil charity. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
Evil should certainly not be loved. It isn't loving evil to be charitable towards someone who might be throwed off.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
Evil should certainly not be loved. It isn't loving evil to be charitable towards someone who might be throwed off.

I think by throwed off you mean someone that loses his/her way in the world... i agree, if they deserve it, help out. But evil... will never get my charity, will never get my love... even if it is trying to be good. You might be confused by my iron clad hate bc you probably define evil different than i do since you are a monotheist. You prob. think sin is evil. No no, there is a clear distinction bw bad and evil. Bad gets my love, get my charity... never with evil. I define evil as someone that maliciously rapes, imprisons or murders and every variation and degree thereof. For instance torture would fall under imprisons/murders. Those three are evil and will never get my charity... even if they are trying to be better. I'll still tie the rope, kick the chair and piss on their graves. I am a paralegal so i get to read the specifics of violence... the world has no idea how egregious acts of evil are. No clue. 
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
No one is entitled to charity, if that was the case it wouldn't be charity.

Let usbsay that the law of the land says that the penalty for murder is death. A murderer deserves death. That is what they deserve. If they get anything other than death, it is a charity. Life in prison would be charity towards a murderer.

If a man steals, and the penalty for theft is that they get their hand chopped off... if they are allowed to keep their hand, they have been shown charity.

" that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more."

And

"For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy"

So as you can see even by your own judgement... what is a torturer but the most unmerciful of people? They have shown no mercy, so they will be shown no mercy.

The bible does not say that people should not be punished for their crimes. Quite the contrary, it says...

"If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons."

So punishment can often times be a way that God corrects, as a father to a son, one who has strayed away into doing the wrong thing.

There are even many who come to faith after being locked up in prison. There are many who come to faith after being cast out on to the streets. 

Charity is not something that is deserved. Does anyone really deserve to be forgiven? But it is better for all of us if we show charity to one another, because while we condemn others we condemn ourselves who are usually just as wicked as the ones we judge.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
Charity is not something that is deserved. Does anyone really deserve to be forgiven? But it is better for all of us if we show charity to one another, because while we condemn others we condemn ourselves who are usually just as wicked as the ones we judge.
I'm sorry, but religion has corrupted your thoughts (i wasn't expecting this last response). There are many people that deserve love and forgiveness bc many people aren't evil. People are just shades of good and bad, and i can love them for that. I don't understand how you can look at humanity and even ask the question if "anyone" should be forgiven... that is mindless religious talk. Not everyone deserves love, but a lot/vast majority of people deserve kindness even if they are bad sometimes. That is the definition of bad vs. evil... bad can be forgiven... evil will never be forgiven, truly. So i find it highly offensive that you are putting people that are good/bad in the same category as someone evil. I find that to be religious ignorance and quite simply disgusting. Religion has obfuscated the line bw bad and evil and that is a true poison of religion.   

Evil should never be allowed kindness or charity. Like i'll keep saying, evil needs to fear good. That is the only way we can effectively minimize violent crime and/or crime... when the punishment scares the criminal. Read a complaint on child rape cases, then read more of the pleadings and discovery... get an idea of what happens specifically, and lets see if it matters if that sob finds god in jail. If it does, then you are just kinder than i am, but i'd also call you a fool for being that kind towards something that wants to severely harm you and your loved ones. Furthermore, i'd call you an enabler for it is "charity" that criminals expect and people like you give it to them. 

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
I didn't say that people shouldn't be forgiven. I said that no one is entitled to be forgiven.
Yet God has forgiven us, and as such this is our example, that we forgive others.

As I said before, evil is not to be loved. Those who love The Truth do not love evil. Those who love The Truth do not make evil the identity of evil doers. An evil doer can repent from their wickedness.

Outplayz
Outplayz
-->
@Mopac
 An evil doer can repent from their wickedness.
I don't believe they can nor should they be forgiven if they pretend to. 

God has forgiven us
Forgiveness is a human attribute not gods. God doesn't forgive nor not forgive... "god" is everything. Everything/infinity is indifferent to our limited lives. You keep going towards god being a "who." That is flawed in many ways.  
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Outplayz
Yet you have offended others who have overlooked your offense. You were once even so weak that you couldn't crawl across a room, and God kept you alive and fed you. The One who formed you in the womb, gives you the air you breathe, the food you eat, the clothing you wear... God does all of these things.

Your very life is in the hands of God, and when it has so been ordained, your flesh will return to the dust from whence it came. You did nothing to earn your life, and everything you have in life is a grace from God. You could have been born anywhere else in the world and at any time, but you were born where you were born, at the time you were born.

Your own efforts have very little to do with where you are now compared to the weight of the entire universe pressing down to make your experience possible.

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Mopac
Hey Hi.
Mopac, can you have it a guess.
When it comes to scripture translating / deciphering. 

A.  Do you think there is anyone on this site that is NOT in the top ummmm, I'll go one million , top one million of all time at the translation of Scripture so to speak.  " Scrip'in ". 

B.  Do you think you may be in the top 1mill of everyone past and present of scrip'n ?

I rekon , just a guess , that there is not one person on this site that is not in the top 100 of all time at translating scripture. 
And with most of em being the best at certain couple " fave "  scriptures. They have a quirkh way of doing it. 

Anddddddddd.

Why can't they make a bible with, umm 1000 high up church dudes responses meanings to a scripture and instead of the scriptures just put the top 3 response meanings , with the numbers beside them.
Tell it like it is addition ?
A 10,000 persons scripture meaning bible.
And
A one million persons edition also. 
Ask a million people the meaning of the scripture and give the top 3 responses with the numbers beside em.

Anddddddddd.
Can i ask for 8 secons.
8 seconds to think about the mind of the bloke that said. " Hey "  
He said " Hey " . " Lets get god to speak in scripture " 
BAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.
And a 7
And s 6
And a 5
And a 4
And a 3
And 2,  And a one.
Brilliant hey.
Scripture, Ya wouldn't have ya god speak anything but.

Good game.
Good game.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
I showed your post to my spouse because I found it very difficult to understand.

The interpretation I was given is that you are more interested in hearing what the best explanations for these scriptures are from the people who are supposed to know than what people on this forum think.

Is that right? Because I don't know.
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Mopac
Sorry hey. 
I can't read or write very well. 
Just a question.
Are you good at translating scriptures?

Would you be in the top one million at it ?

Top 1000 maybe ?

Thanks.
Sorry about me dribble. I'll slowly improve.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
I couldn't honestly give an answer to that. Why do you ask?
Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
Imagine someone saying " I'm a poor / not very good scripture translator ".

I haven't  read the bible and have only attempted to translate like 4 maybe 6 scriptures, not being able to read very well doesn't help but
But.
Not meaning to boast, but I'm probably the best scripture decipherer that's like ever been. 
I'm good , I'm like real good.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
μη πλανασθε αδελφοι μου αγαπητοι
πασα δοσις αγαθη και παν δωρημα τελειον ανωθεν εστιν καταβαινον απο του πατρος των φωτων παρ ω ουκ ενι παραλλαγη η τροπης αποσκιασμα
βουληθεις απεκυησεν ημας λογω αληθειας εις το ειναι ημας απαρχην τινα των αυτου κτισματων
ωστε αδελφοι μου αγαπητοι εστω πας ανθρωπος ταχυς εις το ακουσαι βραδυς εις το λαλησαι βραδυς εις οργην
οργη γαρ ανδρος δικαιοσυνην θεου ου κατεργαζεται
διο αποθεμενοι πασαν ρυπαριαν και περισσειαν κακιας εν πραυτητι δεξασθε τον εμφυτον λογον τον δυναμενον σωσαι τας ψυχας υμων

Deb-8-a-bull
Deb-8-a-bull
-->
@Mopac
Have it a guess.

Do you think you are in the top 1000 scripture translators of all time ?
Mopac
Mopac

"though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing."

How does this radically go at odds with what is commonly called charity in today's world?

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Deb-8-a-bull
The Ultimate Reality is God

The The Truth is what sets you free.

Believe The Truth. Abide in The Truth.

13 days later

Goldtop
Goldtop
-->
@Mopac

"This is my commandment

Nope, not big on commandments. If an adult has to be commanded to behave, they clearly haven't grown up yet.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
This is a forum not a pulpit.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@Goldtop
If you love Jesus, you will follow the commandment. If not, you won't. There is no compulsion.
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
The Ultimate Reality is God

The The Truth is what sets you free.

Believe The Truth. Abide in The Truth.

Live your life like a cliche.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@disgusted
A church/religion forum.

Seems appropriate to me.

Mopac
Mopac
-->
@disgusted
And what do you mean by live your life like a cliche?
disgusted
disgusted
-->
@Mopac
You offer three cliches and expect sane people to believe they contain truth. Don't live your life as a cliche.
Mopac
Mopac
-->
@disgusted
What are you offering? Nothing.

The One who contains All Truth is God.