Unisex Bathrooms In High School

Author: ethang5

Total: 112
ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
-->@Dr. Franklin

it HAS TO BE SEPERATE
But why? Why do you think they have to be?
ethang5
ethang5
-->@Christen

Guys could go into the girls' bathroom and do all sorts of things.
What would you say to a person who asked you, "How do you know that guys would go into the girls' bathroom and do all sorts of things?"

How would you answer?
ebuc
Debates: 0
ebuc
-->
@ethang5
We are not one sex humanity ergo unisex restrooms makes no sense and only creates a problem where none already exist.

Since there there is no video or audio recordings in restrooms because of privacy issues, if there is an incident ---and those incidents will happen---  there is no record of the incident.

The biggest differrences in humanity are between sexes not color of skin or religion.

A man will never be a woman, because functional wombs, varies eggs etc will never be implanted into a man ergo man cannot become womb-man.

What does a unisex save in money?  One entrance/exit opening.  Not even cost of door is neccesary.

Unisex restrooms only make sense when there is only one person at a time in the restroom and there is no need for a urinal. Men can use toilets whereas a urinal does not serve women very well if not all all. Urinals are old school.

bmdrocks21
Debates: 6
bmdrocks21
-->
@ethang5
Well, I am a bit late to the party.

Are you still under the impression that different bathrooms are bad?

If so, what are your main arguments.
ethang5
ethang5
-->@ebuc

We are not one sex humanity ergo unisex restrooms makes no sense and only creates a problem where none already exist.
OK. Some say we are more than 2 sexes, so would you be opposed to having more than 2 types of bathrooms?
ethang5
ethang5
-->@bmdrocks21

Well, I am a bit late to the party.
No problem. Sensible people are always welcome.

Are you still under the impression that different bathrooms are bad?
No, I never did think they were bad. I just wanted to get peoples views on it.

What often interests me are people who hold contradicting beliefs, for example, like posters who will say people are intrinsically good, but then say men would misbehave in unisex facilities. Seems a contradiction.

Where do you stand on unisex bathrooms in highschools? For or against? And why?

Mage-CPA
Mage-CPA
-->
@ethang5
By unisex bathrooms, I assume you mean multiple toilets in a room, which are open to either gender.

A bathroom is often considered a safe space in American culture. Need a moment to recompose yourself? Apply lipstick or otherwise freshen up? Talk to someone in private? Have a "private" phone call? Bathrooms are often used, especially in more social venues, like bars or restaurants.

In high schools, I am opposed to these. Teens are still getting used to their changing bodies, are emotional wrecks, and a bathroom is about the closest one can get to have a private moment. Having it open to anyone can impede on this limited privacy.

There is a code of conduct that takes place in public bathrooms, and these are different among the sexes. Allowing both sexes (and genders) eliminates any sanctuary that existed, and can very easily make high school even worse than it already is for many.

Furthermore, if unisex means either sex, then urinals should be in both bathrooms for obvious reasons, and this can be see as awkward for both males and females.

If, however, you mean a single stall in a room, then unisex away. If there is only space for one person and the door locks, who cares about gender?

ethang5
ethang5
-->@Mage-CPA

Sensible answer.

OK. Now, his about the transgendered? Would you be opposed to a 16 year old trans "girl" using the female bathroom?

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@ethang5
Well, men and women are different. They go to the bathroom differently, and they are therefore best served using different facilities. I saw you mention segregation. That is bad when based on arbitrary differences such as race or when it is done to put a group at a disadvantage. Women and men are not in any way negatively affected by these different bathrooms. This is not an arbitrary difference: they have different genitals, which function differently when expelling waste.

I do see misconduct being a potential result of putting them in the same bathroom, especially at high school age.

For these reasons, I support different bathrooms for men and women.
Mage-CPA
Mage-CPA
-->
@ethang5
Generally, yes, I would be opposed (but also largely don't care). In a public high school, absolutely opposed.

The reasons stated still apply, but the issue with a public school is that it is ripe for abuse, and at that age with hormones raging, it is likely an abuse that will manifest. Do you know why schools have zero tolerance policies? It is to avoid having to make decisions and take sides. Assume I am a 16 year old male, and I walk into the ladies bathroom. Is the principal going to say I am not transgendered? Did I not file the necessary paperwork or meet the arbitrary rules? This is a lawsuit waiting to happen. In an effort to protect, you will harm others.

I do not understand why people bend over backwards to accommodate transgendered people, especially in the context of bathrooms. Using the bathroom is a function of biology, and thus, biology should matter more than how you feel about yourself. You identify as a woman, but you have male parts, so use the urinal (or sit on the toilet). What is the issue, exactly? It is that they don't want to.

I am further confused because the only reason I can see this being an issue is if a man in a dress uses the woman's bathroom, but who would know? 

Now, transexuals are a different story, since they have changed their anatomy. Transgenders just confuse me, since they take issue with their body, but don't want their body to reflect what they feel, and to be honest, I have no idea how or why they feel that the way they feel is akin to a specific gender - it reinforces gender roles.

Question for you - should a 16 yr old boy who identifies as a girl be allowed to shower with the girls in the locker room? If not, why are bathrooms different than locker rooms, given the context of adhering to sexual identity?

ethang5
ethang5
-->@bmdrocks21

Your answers are logical and consistent. I can detect no bigotry or hate in your responses.

Do you have any high school age children?
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@ethang5
Ha, I'd hope not. I'm in my second year of college.
ethang5
ethang5
-->@Mage-CPA

Good answers. You said you generally "dont care" but are "absolutely opposed" when it comes to high school. Interesting.

Transgenders just confuse me, since they take issue with their body, but don't want their body to reflect what they feel, and to be honest, I have no idea how or why they feel that the way they feel is akin to a specific gender - it reinforces gender roles.
This issue deserves an entire thread of its own. I don't think many people have even realized that transsexuals are different from the transgendered.

...should a 16 yr old boy who identifies as a girl be allowed to shower with the girls in the locker room?
I do not believe people under the age of 18 should legally be able to change their gender. And I don't believe a persons sex can be changed, even with surgery.

Consequently, I personally believe everyone showering or using a restroom in a female facility should be genetically female, without exception. And vice-versa for men.
AvoidDeath
Debates: 11
AvoidDeath
rape
ethang5
ethang5
-->@bmdrocks21

You are impressively mature for your age.

What are you doing in school?

bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@ethang5
Thank you, sir!

I am double majoring in accounting and finance. Hoping to be a politician later in life :P
crossed
Debates: 62
crossed
teen pregnancy is already to high. Abortion/killing of babies is too high
ethang5
ethang5
-->@bmdrocks21

OK. Hopefully, your level-headed maturity will follow you into politics.

Good luck!

Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Transgender bathrooms are a flawed system of the community and need to be ended. We need to focus about not discriminating the population based on their gender preferences versus creating a separate space using resources and funds to do so. A stigma needs to be eliminated with that philosophy, not mask it.
ethang5
ethang5
-->@SupaDudz

Are you saying all gender preferences should be accepted and validated by society?

zedvictor4
Debates: 22
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
@Vader
@crossed
What do teen pregnancy and abortion have to do with defecation and urination in high school's?

Irrespective of gender assumptions, the basic requirement of toileting equipment is functionality.

Though whether or not all people wish to share the same toileting experience is more to do with their formative conditioning rather than with the functionality of bathroom equipment.

It's no good trying to force everyone to think that they are all the same. If you haven't  firstly, taught everyone that the are all the same.

Though previous rhetoric seems to imply that although everyone is the same the are also different too.

So irrespective of gender assumption. It naturally, in the end all boils down to the same old, time worn, unavoidable penis vagina dichotomy

ethang5
ethang5
-->@zedvictor4

What do teen pregnancy and abortion have to do with defecation and urination in high school's?
Other than the fact that conceptions and abortions happen in bathrooms? Or the fact that pregnancy and abortion  and defecation and urination all concern the pubic area? Nothing st all.

It's no good trying to force everyone to think that they are all the same. If you haven't  firstly, taught everyone that the are all the same.
Everyone is not the same.
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
The o ly issue I have is that it may increase costs if mandated. Don't care if newly built schools have them
ethang5
ethang5
-->@Wylted

Would you still not care if you had a 12 year old daughter in such a school?
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
Yep.

But bathrooms have a specific purpose.

If people are intent on using such areas for purposes other than those intended, then there is very little that can be done to stop them. I can't see that multi-sex or single sex facilities is going to make any difference to this phenomenon.

Horny kids is horny kids and are going to copulate when and where opportunity permits. And let's be honest any lockable cubicle is going to be fair game irrespective of it's location.

And do kids in the U.S. actually perform abortions in public bathrooms?

Nonetheless. This preponderance with what kids might or might not get up to in bathrooms is all starting to get a tad seedy!

And not something that persons of our age need to be getting hung up about.

Regards.

Z.

ethang5
ethang5
If people are intent on using such areas for purposes other than those intended, then there is very little that can be done to stop them.
No one to my knowledge has spoken about consensual copulation. Most spoke about unwanted sexual advances.

I can't see that multi-sex or single sex facilities is going to make any difference to this phenomenon.
Neither can anyone else, which is why no one else has mentioned it.

And do kids in the U.S. actually perform abortions in public bathrooms?
I don't know and don't see the relevance here, but I do know spontaneous abortions happen in US HS restrooms.

This preponderance with what kids might or might not get up to in bathrooms is all starting to get a tad seedy!
As the only one to have brought it up, you would know.

And not something that persons of our age need to be getting hung up about.
Irony.
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
The fact that conceptions and abortions happen in bathrooms.
You said it so I questioned it.

Spontaneous abortion.
Miscarriage in other words. …….?

And how can a sexual advance ever be consensual?

A sexual advance is what it is..... Seeking consent.

Defecating, urinating, spontaneously aborting, advancing sexually, consensual sex, home work, eating lunch.

Bathrooms..... Multifunctional spaces.

Always check the loo roll. Or things might get messy.

And don't forget to wash your hands.

ethang5
ethang5
The fact that conceptions and abortions happen in bathrooms.

You said it so I questioned it.
I said it because you asked...

Now you want to pretend you didn't bring it up.

And how can a sexual advance ever be consensual?
I haven't the foggiest. I said, "No one to my knowledge has spoken about consensual copulation. Most spoke about unwanted sexual advances. The opposite of that would be wanted sexual advances, and I can assure you, those exist.

And don't forget to wash your hands.

Lol. I guess your preponderance with what kids might or might not get up to in bathrooms has gone a tad past seedy!

I'll be here outside of the gutter when your mind gets back to the thread's topic.
bmdrocks21
bmdrocks21
-->
@ethang5
You know they won't let mature, level-headed guys into politics ;)
zedvictor4
zedvictor4
-->
@ethang5
The threads topic was "Unisex Bathrooms in High School".

Take that where you will and so will I.

is it purely a question of functionality?......Seems unlikely

Is it purely a question of finance?...…...Seems unlikely.

Is it actually a question relative to a wider and more extreme liberal agenda?...….Probably, therefore I satirise.

How do you interpret the threads topic?