Fall 2018 Debate Tournament

Author: David

Total: 18
David
Debates: 91
David
Hi all! I am hoping to run the first ever debate tournament on debateart!

Debaters will be paired based on ratings from debate.org and elsewhere (if applicable). Debaters have the right to choose their own topic and position. If no topic is agreed upon within 48 hours then I will choose a resolution and your position. 

This will be a single elimination tournament

Signups:

etc. 

RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
Okay but Earth cannot vote ty
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Pls sign me up
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Signups:
1.RM

David
David
Bump
Earth
Debates: 4
Earth
-->
@RationalMadman
Still getting pissy? In.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Earth
Not just pissy, disgusted. You spite-voted me or friend-voted Bench. Either way it's disgusting how you went about getting away with it.
Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
Well it is the first ever tournament so I might as well join for ceremonial purposes 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@DebateArt.com
@David
Are we allowed to demand individuals to NOT vote? Is this allowed? On DDO this was a way to handle trolls like dsjpk but I am curious if it's allowed in this site.

I understand an issue with batman's voting as is but I also have huge issue with Earth's tactical ignoring of good points on one side in order to vote for the other and would not want him voting on any of my debates.
Imabench
Imabench
FFS RM you cant just ban people from voting just because they vote against you in a debate a single time, especially when they provide an RFD explaining their vote rather than do what batman did which was vote for the sake of voting.... 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Imabench
I would like to ban both from voting until they improve.
Imabench
Imabench
Earth's vote is more than good enough to be considered legitimate, even if you refuse to recognize it as legitimate simply because it wasn't in your favor. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Imabench
He literally only focused on me calling the literacy part of the test unconstitutional and ignored EVERY OTHER POINT I MADE
David
David
Please drop it from this thread 
Imabench
Imabench
"Arguments: Imabench contends that a lot of American voters are alarmingly ignorant about basic science and American civics/history and a simply citizenship test can weed out these voters in said elections, until they get their act together. RM, in his second round, says that such a test flies in the face of established American values and that using citizen tests in such a matter is akin to the literacy tests that America used to have that were shown to be illegal. RM drops Imabench's argument that the test should be limited to Presidential and Senate elections. Imabench responds by saying that uninformed voters are likely to vote in bad or poor politicians. RM would later drop any arguments relating to the Literacy Test bit or whether or not voting tests go against American values. I simply don't feel that RM truly addressed Imabench's arguments. Imabench proven that said citizenship tests, when used properly are not unconstitutional or illegal or run counter to American values RM says that the 15th amendment states that literacy tests are illegal/unconstitutional, but Imabench, earlier in the debate said that the Supreme Court ruled that Literacy Tests could be legal and constitutionally kosher if the tests were applied equally and without malice. As such, Imabench did a better job fulfilling his BoP"

He goes over the main points of the debate questioning whether or not literacy tests go against American values and whether or not literacy tests are illegal, which were basically 100% of your arguments by the time we hit round 3.... By pointing to Supreme Court cases indicating that literacy tests can be upheld as constitutional, the debate at that point just became a pseudo-argument about what is or isn't considered morally American, where I just borrowed a page from Bluesteel's book to argue that it at least isnt anti-American. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
Imabench you don't even think you lost the debate so I wouldn't expect you to know all the points I raised. I turned your own case against you that's how flawless I was.
Imabench
Imabench
lol sure XD
Imabench
Imabench
1) RM
2) Earth
3) Imabench
4)
5)