Author: bsh1

Archived
Read-only
Total: 17
bsh1
Debates: 14
bsh1
Aloha!

My term as moderator is officially ending at midnight. I just wanted to say a few things before I go about moderation.

First, just because there is a change in moderator does not mean that the COC has changed. All the same rules will still currently be in force once I leave, and those rules should only be changed via MEEP processes. Virt may see fit to change the MEEP process, but that will itself require a MEEP. I leave that up to him. But just remember: the rules have not changed, only the person enforcing them. Second, the Extended Moderation Policies and the previous MEEPs will still be binding unless they themselves are changed via the MEEP process. As status quo on the site, changing them would be a substantial adjustment to moderation policy requiring a MEEP. Finally, I want to wish Virt all the best as he takes over. He will be implementing a new team--I will allow him to say more on that--and I trust him to moderate well and fairly. 

That's all really. If you have any issues from this point onward, Virt is the one to go to. 

-Bsh1, Chief Moderator

David
Debates: 91
David
-->
@bsh1
I approve this message. 
bsh1
bsh1
Also, as I told Virt, the COC needs updating to reflect one of the MEEPs. The update was made only partially (though no omission was intended). The select winner system should state, in full:

To cast a sufficient vote in the choose winner system, a voter must explicitly, and in the text of their RFD, perform the following tasks: (a) survey the main arguments and counterarguments presented in the debate, (b) weigh those arguments against each other (or explain why certain arguments need not be weighed based on what transpired within the debate itself), and (c) explain how, through the process of weighing, they arrived at their voting decision with regard to assigning argument points. Weighing entails analyzing how the relative strength of one argument or set of arguments outweighed (that is, out-impacted) and/or precluded another argument or set of arguments. Weighing requires analyzing and situating arguments and counterarguments within the context of the debate as a whole.

The voter may also consider conduct which makes the debate space extremely toxic and/pr breaches the mutually agreed rules of the debate in their analysis. A voter who awards points on the basis of toxic alone behavior must (1) provide specific references to instances of poor conduct which occurred in the debate (2) explain why the conduct made the debate space intensely hostile, and (3) compare each debater's conduct from the debate. A voter may choose to exclude or reduce the weight of certain arguments on the basis of rules breaches, but must explain which rules were breached and why those breaches justify the exclusion or minimization of the arguments in question. A voter who awards points on the basis of rule breaches alone must (1) provide specific references to the breaches which occurred in the debate (2) explain why those breaches were serious enough to merit a loss by explaining how the rules either mandate a loss for rule-breakers or how the breach made the debate unfair, AND (3) compare each debater's conformity to the debate rules.

David
David
-->
@DebateArt.com
@bsh1
Thanks for pointing that out. @Mike - can you edit that part into the COC?
RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
MEEPs were something you were lazy to host, which held up our Trello work and caused me the most frustration of a team I am no longer part of. You speak so proudly of MEEPs when really every single rule in the CoC that originally was there and still is there required 0 MEEPs to come into action. When were we MEEP'd about Ramshutu's appointment etc? You only cared about MEEPs when it suited you, including punishing me retroactively for a rule regarding debating banned users that you selectively, intentionally didn't do a thing about under technicalities of the old rules when Ramshutu, Oromagi and such debated against them, but with me you said it was against the old rules pre-MEEP. 

The fact this is your 'real goodbye' speech and the contents are basically 'you may think I'm gone but fear what I have designed' tells me enough about you. You were a cold-hearted robot in charge and I was not a fan of yours, probably never will be again. I liked you on DDO but you slowly ebbed away at any shred of fondness I could have for you. You did this with many people, some of whom are either banned by you or left the site of their own volition. Virtuoso is the only reason many such as myself stayed, when not understanding your way of running things and gaining 0 sympathy from you when expressing our dismay at ways we're being subtly harassed and provoked into lashing out. Virtuoso showed compassion, despite being robotic in his own way too. He showed a calm and caring composure that infected those around him and saved this website. You owe him everything, he is the main reason the DDO guys didn't all leave here permanently, I know for a fact that your way of running things was beginning to really irritate them to a boiling point.
bsh1
bsh1
The fact this is your 'real goodbye' speech
Nope. That one will be posted after midnight, when I am no longer a mod.
bsh1
bsh1
And I agree: Virt is a very compassionate person, and I think he will be an excellent moderator.
Vader
Debates: 30
Vader
Sometimes I wish I could not be as emotional. A good mix of emotions and cold heart is good for moderation. Enough to emphasize, but enough not to be reactionary
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
-->
@Vader
Even when I felt emotionally dead, I did not lose any empathy. I don't  think emotion and empathy are linked as much as what people think
bsh1
bsh1
#Freedom. 
Wylted
Debates: 34
Wylted
I think it is possible that you are conflating empathy and sympathy and think they mean the same thing. Sympathy may require emotions, but empathy not so much
Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
I was in Boston for three days could someone kindly update me on what the fuck all happened while I was out?
David
David
-->
@Imabench
Summary in a nut shell, bsh resigned and I’m taking over. 
Lunatic
Debates: 3
Lunatic
-->
@Imabench

45 days later

Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Imabench
Did you like Boston?
Imabench
Debates: 6
Imabench
-->
@Dr.Franklin
Really cool fuckin city actually in terms of history and current architecture. Biggest drawback as a Floridian is the fuckin weather. Rainy and sub 60 a lot of the year, yech
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
-->
@Imabench
sub 60 most of the year, snows a lot, and the flooding is shit, an old city though so what do you expect, glad you liked it, the freedom trail is awesome