What Will the First Intelligent Aliens Humans Come Across, Look Like?

Author: Reece101

Total: 7
Reece101
Debates: 1
Reece101
For example: Insectoid, humanoid, etc. You can even go crazy by saying something along the lines of ‘it’s made of plasma and it has no definite shape.’

My my money on cephalopodoid. 

Reece101
Reece101
By “intelligent” I mean chimpanzee level at least.
Reece101
Reece101
Sorry for the bad spelling.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
They will be epic

Jeff_Goldblum
Debates: 13
Jeff_Goldblum
-->
@Reece101
This is an interesting question. If I were to directly answer it, I would, frankly, be engaged in unsubstantiated speculation.

However, I am inclined to ask: is the present state of Earth's biosphere an evolutionary inevitability, given the conditions in which natural selection operated, or is our current biosphere merely one of many possible outcomes given the conditions in which natural selection operated?

If it's an evolutionary inevitability, we may very well find humanoid aliens living on any Earth-like planets we find.

If it's one of many possible outcomes, then aliens could come in truly strange forms, even if they originated from Earth-like planets.

Another question: just how broad is the spectrum of environments advanced life could arise in? Most experts suggest water is a prerequisite for life, but what if there are alternatives?

If you are interested in the possibility of extraterrestrial intelligence, you may enjoy reading my debate in progress titled "Extraterrestrial Intelligence is More Likely Common than Uncommon."
Reece101
Reece101
-->
@Jeff_Goldblum
Nice plug.

Jeff_Goldblum
Debates: 13
Jeff_Goldblum
-->
@Reece101
Although I included a plug at the end, I hope you don't think I was being shallow/self-interested. I think it should be evident from the text of my reply that I am genuinely interested in this subject.