New Moderation Policy Discussion

Author: David

Total: 9
David
Debates: 91
David
Greetings, everyone!

With the latest release by Mike, the moderation team has access to more control over the permission system. Among them is to ban people from creating forum topics and posts, as well as restricting their access to part of the debate sections. Moving forward, the moderation team believes that it would be beneficial to temporarily revoke permission from one side of the site instead of a full site ban. The advantages the moderation team sees with this are as follows:

1) We believe it will loosen up our moderation grip. There have been some complaints about being too heavy and we want to loosen up our grip some.

2) It enables people to finish up any debates they are currently in and not worry about forfeiting.

3) Even if a user is banned from the debate section (ie voting, creating debates, etc) they will still be able to publish arguments

This is an open discussion and we want to run this policy by you guys. 

David
Debates: 91
David
Also, in order to make the moderation team more transparent, this is the full list of things we can restrict or allow with our permission system. 

1. Participate in debates
  2. Judge debates
  3. Report debates
  4. Create debate comments
  5. Report debate comments
  6. Cast debate votes
  7. Report debate votes
  8. Create forum topics
  9. Create forum posts
  10. Report forum posts
  11. Answer personal questions
  12. Ask personal questions

coal
Debates: 6
coal
I am skeptical that any actual improvement will result. 
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
-->
@David
Let me explain something to you:

When people complain about your grip being too tight, if you simply loosen it and surrender to them you then will be accused of being a useless waste of space who simply is running an anarchy. Slowly, over time, you end up with a post-apocalyptic Religion Forums section of DDO as it is now and/or a CreateDebate environment, both of which are full of vitriol, bullying, doxxing and all sorts of shit. When that happens, you can't ever gain respect back from the userbase, because all the sane and decent ones left the website meaning you're going to be hard-handling users who are enjoying the vicious anarchy where they can freely hurl abuse.

If this endgame isn't to your taste, you should stop looking to what people are saying and instead to why they're saying it. The people who have accused you and bsh1 of being heavy-handed have been blatantly valid and blatantly invalid depending on the situation and reasoning they use. Listen to that, find courage to go via your internal moral compass and stop cowering to everyone's will. You are the alpha here, take the reigns.
Dr.Franklin
Debates: 32
Dr.Franklin
Coal and RM are correct
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@David
I think the worse case scenario could be that a person would use publishing an argument to talk about forum related stuff but I don't think that is a reason to remove it because I don't think most people would do that. I think you guys will give a higher suspension for that so it shouldn't be that much of a problem. 
Christen
Debates: 5
Christen
-->
@TheRealNihilist
If they want to talk about forum related stuff in debates let them. They would lose the debate anyways.
TheRealNihilist
Debates: 44
TheRealNihilist
-->
@Christen
If they want to talk about forum related stuff in debates let them. They would lose the debate anyways.
If they are banned from the forums but still talk about the forums in the debate section. That seems to me like a loophole. 

ethang5
Debates: 1
ethang5
Virt,

You guys are still doing great and everything I've seen so far has been levelheaded, thoughtful and fair.

The voting issue still needs work but everything cannot be remedied all at once. The team is moving in the right direction.

I've gotten nothing but positives reviews from the members to whom I speak to off the board.