If you were able to live forever, what would you do?

Author: Analgesic.Spectre

Total: 80
Analgesic.Spectre
Debates: 1
Analgesic.Spectre
Discuss.
RationalMadman
Debates: 555
RationalMadman
Demolish my opponents, become one of the Illuminati and potentially take over the entire universe/reality.
EtrnlVw
Debates: 0
EtrnlVw
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
I would do what souls do, inhabit temporal embodiments from a conscious reality that is eternal. Have endless experiences in different realms, different galaxies, planets ect ect...
janesix
Debates: 12
janesix
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
I would go insane. Wait....
Polytheist-Witch
Debates: 1
Polytheist-Witch
I think we do technically in that our soul exist forever but to live as a human on Earth, no. My grandmother made it to 92. She said it was hard to keep burying friends and family. 
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Analgesic.Spectre
Statistically speaking sooner or later I would get trapped somehow and spend eternity as a prisoner slowly going mad.
Earth
Debates: 4
Earth
What if you have cancer or some shit? 
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@secularmerlin
Statistically speaking sooner or later I would get trapped somehow and spend eternity as a prisoner slowly going mad.

This, plus you would end up mad from watching anyone you get attached to dying and there's nothing you can do about it. Eventually the passage of time would be so vast that really, one would probably stop viewing the passage of time minutely. Like for example, months would veconeblike seconds, years like month, centuries like years, etc .

Living forever would be a nightmare fmpov

Earth
Earth
-->
@Buddamoose
I think it might be bearable if you could "reset" your life every so often or had some huge task to spend eternity on.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@Earth
I agree, being able to reset would solve alot of the issues that i can see with it. 

>Huge task to spend eternity on
>Constructing an island from single grains of sand 

💪 Problem solved 💪

Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@Earth
You're welcome ;)

Earth
Earth
-->
@Buddamoose
How about this. Imagine if in the night God/Jesus himself comes down from Heaven to offer you a proposal. You can pick to live in any fictional universe, or Earth's past at any time, but, you must first live through 500 years in your chosen universe. You are de-aged to a 20 year old and any mental and physical ailments you might have are cured and you cannot get cancer or anything of the sort. After your 500 years are up, you age normally. Do you accept the deal, and what universe, if so?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@Earth
Of course I'd agree why wouldn't I? I know you didn't ask me.
Earth
Earth
-->
@RationalMadman
Well, I don't mind anyone answering.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Earth
You would get trapped under a falling building or stuck in a crevice or imprisoned in a cell and the key lost. Given enough time the probability rises to 100%
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@Earth
How about this. Imagine if in the night God/Jesus himself comes down from Heaven to offer you a proposal. You can pick to live in any fictional universe, or Earth's past at any time, but, you must first live through 500 years in your chosen universe. You are de-aged to a 20 year old and any mental and physical ailments you might have are cured and you cannot get cancer or anything of the sort. After your 500 years are up, you age normally. Do you accept the deal, and what universe, if so?

I'm afraid I would have to decline. 
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@secularmerlin
I have no idea AT ALL what concept of probability you have but if you play it right, the older you'd get the more you'd avoid prison and better position you'd be in legally and powerfully.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@RationalMadman
Do you know what I mean when I say statistically speaking? In a large enough time frame even miniscule probability say a one in a million chance each year for one hundred million years has a net probability of nearly one hundred percent. That means that the odds of having something collapse on you or falling into a hole and being trapped forever unable to die would be a very real possibility. Corporeal immortality would be a nightmare.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@secularmerlin
No I don't know what you mean, you seem to deny even non-free will and the capacity to use intellect to BETTER YOUR ODDS the longe ryou live and further into the chain of command you immerse yourself.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
I'm talking about natural occurrences due to physics over which you cannot exert control. It is likely that you will be lost or trapped at some point in your long life and if you are unable to die you simply continue to be trapped indefinitely. This would not necessarily be the action of a force more sinister than gravity.
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@secularmerlin
I'm talking about being intelligent and strategic enough to overcome them BETTER with age as you'd have more wisdom.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@RationalMadman
How does one overcome a sinkhole or a collapsing building?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@secularmerlin
Being rich enough to live in good areas by accumulating cash, experimenting with stock markets, perhaps breaking the law here and there with insider trading and being a stone cold gangster illuminati member loyal to those who are loyal back.
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@RationalMadman
Are you locked in an underground bunker in this scenario?
RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@secularmerlin
You know what? People like you don't deserve immortality anyway.

You are literally the type of person I could offer anything good and you'll find a way it can go wrong and say 'let's all never take that offer'.

What exactly do you want to achieve in life? Consistent prediction of failure and ability to say 'ha I told you so' when all goes wrong? Is that how you get your kicks?
secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@RationalMadman
I'm honestly not sure what you mean by "deserve". Does anyone deserve anything or do things just happen to us?

Things like earthquakes and storms. Things that might drop a house on us like the wicked witch of the East. 

The longer you live the higher the probability that any particular type event would take place. 

Here is an article about how much more likely building collapse is than previously thought.

RationalMadman
RationalMadman
-->
@secularmerlin
You literally do not comprehend how probability works or statistical analysis works.

The more you know and the wiser you are with using what you know the more optimally you play the odds again and again.

You're totally correct, the more poker hands I play the more likely a bad beat is to eventually occur. Genius this doesn't mean anything if I bankroll manage properly.

You get stuck in a hole, you ring your privately hired helicopter riding medical team etc etc.

You get richer and richer, smarter and more informed and end up literally the alpha human being. Please don't confuse yourself, you're not the one who understand probability here.
Buddamoose
Buddamoose
-->
@Earth
I accept that deal, the likelihood of say, being trapped with no escape would still be relatively minimal. I would have to give where/when some more thought, but that suitably addresses the major concerns fmpov 🤔

secularmerlin
secularmerlin
-->
@RationalMadman
Ok let's say you do... all that stuff you just said. How exactly does that prevent an earthquake, tsunami or hurricane from knocking hundreds of tons of rubble on you?

In the end you are not the author of causality no matter how rich and powerful you think you are.

Also why would you need a medical team if you are immortal?

Earth
Earth
-->
@Buddamoose
I would 100% take the deal. 

What about this, You can spend a week anywhere at any point in time on Earth. You can't change any events, and you are given just enough money to live comfortably. Where would you go and why?