Why voters on the other side won't listen to you

Author: Mopac

Total: 6
Mopac
Debates: 4
Mopac
Anyone ever hear the story of the boy who cried wolf?

A boy was charged with watching the sheep to make sure that wolves wouldn't eat them. If he saw a wolf, he was supposed to yell, "Wolf! Wolf!", which would alert the adults for help.

Well for fun, mischief, boredom, or who knows what the boy decides to cry wolf when there is no wolf. The adults come, and seeing no wolf, they reprimand the boy.

Well, out of fun, mischief, boredom, spite, who knows what the boy decides to cry wolf again when there is no wolf. The adults come, and seeing no wolf, they reprimand the boy.

So every so often, the boy will cry wolf when there is no wolf, and eventually the boy is not taken seriously. One day an actual wolf comes, and when the boy cries, no one comes. Sheep were lost that day.

It might be the case that so much of what you say has been debunked in the mind of the other that they cease to take you seriously when you say something that is real.

And lets not kid ourselves, pointing out that the other side is dishonest doesn't magically undo the dishonesty of the side that is pointing.

HistoryBuff
Debates: 0
HistoryBuff
-->
@Mopac
It might be the case that so much of what you say has been debunked in the mind of the other that they cease to take you seriously when you say something that is real. And lets not kid ourselves, pointing out that the other side is dishonest doesn't magically undo the dishonesty of the side that is pointing.
Oddly enough I kind of agree with you. Both the republicans and the mainstream dems have for years been playing a shell game. They each tell people they plan to make things better, but for the most part, they only cared about getting into power and helping out their donors. People just stopped trusting politicians because pretty much all of them would say whatever people wanted to hear and then do nothing about it. 

That is why trump got elected. People thought that an outsider was the only way to get something actually done. Unfortunately, trump is a liar too and also only ever cared about money and power. 

But that is why I am hopeful for Bernie Sanders. You can disagree with his positions, but very few people would accuse him of being dishonest. He tells you what he thinks the problems are, how he will fix them and then he fights for what he said. He is the populist that america needs to replace the fake populist they elected last time. 

RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@HistoryBuff
By 'honest' you mean giving a series of nonanswers to basically everything and stammering to the point of incoherence when it's a really tough question? Bernie Sanders wasn't born for politics, you and I agree on that much.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@RationalMadman
By 'honest' you mean giving a series of nonanswers to basically everything and stammering to the point of incoherence when it's a really tough question? Bernie Sanders wasn't born for politics, you and I agree on that much.
No, we really don't agree on that. He is, by a wide margin, the best politician running for president right now. 

RationalMadman
Debates: 556
RationalMadman
-->
@HistoryBuff
Go ahead, give me one of his honest and clear answers.
HistoryBuff
HistoryBuff
-->
@RationalMadman
Go ahead, give me one of his honest and clear answers.
On medicare for all. He is clear that taxes will go up, but that the average american family will be paying less. He is also clear on how he is going to pass it. He is going to go and make sure that any democrat (like joe manchin) who tries to obstruct gets primaried and removed. This will scare any other holdouts into actually carrying out the will of the people.

Biden and Warren's plans don't really account for how they will overcome the people in their own party who will try to stop any progressive plans.